Old 02-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
What do you do when you get to a campsite? If you stay in your trailer or go no further than you can walk or bike, a heavy truck-mounted generator is fine. On the other hand, if you use the truck to site-see, go shopping, etc, you're taking your air-conditioner's power source with you. Perhaps that's okay if you don't have pets or if you take them with you, and you don't mind coming back to a hot trailer. We went with two Honda EU2000s we can leave with the trailer.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe View Post
What do you do when you get to a campsite? If you stay in your trailer or go no further than you can walk or bike, a heavy truck-mounted generator is fine. On the other hand, if you use the truck to site-see, go shopping, etc, you're taking your air-conditioner's power source with you. Perhaps that's okay if you don't have pets or if you take them with you, and you don't mind coming back to a hot trailer. We went with two Honda EU2000s we can leave with the trailer.
That's an excellent point. It is also the reason we placed ours in a cage. We can unlock the cage and roll the genset (approx. 150 lbs.) down the dog ramp. I guess we are not as trusting as you. If we leave our campsite the genset goes back in the TV and we turn on the FFs. One pulling in and one pulling out.

Also, this way if one of us goes somewhere the other will have the genset. I can run my AC off of my solar for awhile but I prefer not too. We really enjoy fresh air in the AS and only run the AC when it is really hot.

Everyone is different, but this is what we do.

'shaker

fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have dogs but we use our generator mostly when we are traveling and can't find a free or very cheap spot to stop over night. If we run a little after dark I don't have to disconnect from the trailer to get the generator out and I am not beating around with a flashlight moving things. Just push two buttons and plug in to the front of the trailer. Everything in the truck bed is closed and locked.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Do let everyone know what you decide, as this is a popular issue.
Hi, this is the former poster cbgenrich, starter of this thread, now Bohemian. More descriptive.

I think I've decided to go with a diesel TV. So the issue with genset and fuel is going to be there. But I won't even see my new Airstream for 6 weeks and could be the same for a TV.

I've decided to wait and see. I'll be using shore power at first, get some experience, see what others are doing, and come up with something later.

I've decided to defer the decision. I like some of the ideas here though.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #19
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Bohemian.......First of all welcome aboard.
Not to start any thread robbing but are totally happy with our situation. We like you, I suppose use some pretty heavy duty computerization stuff while we are on the road. As videographers you should see our set-up at times. Yes, we use laptops, two dual flat screen dells. Each unit connected to a TV output monitor, external hard drives, a tape deck, camera, and more.......
This can easily overflow to outside under the awning or back to the bedroom. Yes, it is often cumbersome; but nice to be able to get away to peace and quiet. To be unencumbered by the "mundane" in order to be creative is often times necessary.
All of the above is powered by shore power even with the 15K heat pump cranking out it's enviornmental necessities.
Our TV is a F250 V-10, which we are totally happy with. Yes, it has a Lear camper shell where we keep a world of our gear (Cams, tripods, cases, audio) and most importantly our Honda 3000i. The genset has probably 500 hours on it with just oil changes and has been totally trouble free for MANY years.
I open the front slide window and pop the rear windows open and it provides plenty of ventilation for the exhaust when I close the whole thing up. No it doesnt overheat or smell up the interior of the truck.
I store it at the rear of the truck when I am going to use it a lot or just take it out and chain it to the rear of the trailer.
Anyway...........yes, in using the Airstream as a worksight/home, you are joining a lot of us out there that find being creative is not limited by how far we can run a power cord.........God Bless.........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Truck mounting would be impossible for us. One or the other is always off running an errand. Where we camp, AC is pretty much a neccesity in the summer. I lock my two 2000i Hondas together, and, then lock them both to the trailer. I use a longer cable for the latter as the generator drone will drive you nuts if they are too close.
For added security, I attach a pull switch alarm that will screach if the generators are moved.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Delray Beach , Florida
does anyone know what the website is that sells kits for converting gas generators to LP Honda to be specific Thank you
Old 11-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
Question LP Conversion?

Did anyone ever answer your question about LP Conversion? I run twin Hondas in parallel as well and would like to run off the LP tanks vs drag gas around and go in and out or make a big gas can thing so I don't have sleep interrupted...but also need ideas of how to house them so they are portable but won't be stolen. I have some ideas I'm kicking around, but still hoping to stumble on a simple solution vs. reinvent the wheel. I'm disabled and can't lift them, so portable housing is a must for me...unless I can get a good answer to how to permanently and safely house a Cummins Onan QG 3.6 Propane RV Generator.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn View Post
Did anyone ever answer your question about LP Conversion? I run twin Hondas in parallel as well and would like to run off the LP tanks vs drag gas around and go in and out or make a big gas can thing so I don't have sleep interrupted...but also need ideas of how to house them so they are portable but won't be stolen. I have some ideas I'm kicking around, but still hoping to stumble on a simple solution vs. reinvent the wheel. I'm disabled and can't lift them, so portable housing is a must for me...unless I can get a good answer to how to permanently and safely house a Cummins Onan QG 3.6 Propane RV Generator.

Hi. It looks like you're responding to a post that is 7 years old. Don't know how that went unanswered but I bought propane conversion kits for my pair of Honda 2000s from these folks:

http://www.genconnexdirect.net/index.htm

They also sell converted Honda generators directly.

I can run them off the propane port in my trailer and love not having to carry another fuel for them.

As for not getting stolen. There's no guarantee there. Anything can get stolen including the trailer itself if someone wants it badly enough.

If you google honda 2000 truck bed mount site:www.airforums.com you'll find a list of threads that talk about many options for securing your generators. If I recall correctly, there's a thread that also discusses a hitch winch or truck bed winch that could assist with lifting them in and out of the truck bed.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Genconnex will also install the kit for 100 bucks more then the price of the kit. That includes free round trip shipping and excellent customer service. If you don't have the original box they will send one out to you. I can't say enough good things about Gerry. Others here will agree.

Jimmy
Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn View Post

You'll want to understand fuel consumption with propane. Generator load percentage, etc. constant generator use with a high load will use a lot of propane, in other words. So, be sure it meets your idea of planned use.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Also understand the output drops when on propane.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a honda 3000 handi generator. I usually take it out of the truck and run it on the ground but I have run it inside my cap. My cap has side windows that open so I use something to deflect the hot exhaust to the open window. The few times I have done this it has worked nicely. I was afraid of an exhaust odor permeating throughout the cap but have not yet found that to be an issue. If I was going to do this more often I would try to fabricate a sheet metal deflector but so far I'm using a piece of plywood with no problems.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote