Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
Generator Hook-up Helpful Hints

I've been camping for a couple years in our 25 ft. Classic and have never had need of a generator. I just picked up a Yamaha EF2000 to use at Alumapolooza. Is there anything I need to do in the trailer before I use the generator or do you just plug it in and start it up? I would appreciate any advice you can give me. I doubt if I can use the air conditioner, but it should power everything else?

God Bless All the Airstreamers as they Travel
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Nope....But Start it first then plug it in...

Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I say plug it in first, then start it, before you turn anything on. I don't want any load on when plugging into the generator because the arcing at the receptical is not good for it. The only thing that should be on at start-up would be the converter. If your battery is low, this will be a pretty good load at first. With your Yamaha 2000, you might need to switch your refrigerator to gas before trying to use your micro-wave. [if you have a micro-wave]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Test it out at home; pulling a load for several minutes (maybe 15) with a hair dryer, portable microwave or high draw appliance. Actually we used an electric leaf blower to test and blow the grass clippings off the driveway. One of our Hondas developed a loose wire when we got it home; it was repaired quickly under warranty.

eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Since there is some disagreement about whether to plug it in first, I would look at the owner's manual for guidance.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, do test it out at home. In fact, most folks recommend a little break-in ... something like running for a few minutes at no load, and then several hours at higher load (perhaps 2/3 - 3/4 load) to seat in the piston rings properly. I'm a traditionalist, so I did this, and then changed the oil. After that, I just used mine, following mfr's. miantenance directions.

And at least with mine, regarding starting it plugged-in or not, a) the manual specifically recommends starting it first, and only then plugging in any electrical cords, and b) I'd bet it's harder to crank over and start if there's any load on the gennie, so if you plug in first, I'd certainly make sure all trailer loads are turned off before starting. Personally, to minimize thermal shock, I always let mine warm up for a few minutes before giving it any load, and let it idle for a few mintues with no load, to cool it down before shutting down. Does all this help? I can't prove it, but it just makes sense to me, and its S.O.P. with air-cooled aircraft engines where thermal shock has been extensively studied. YMMV.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think you should start it and let it stabilize for a couple of minutes. Then plug in your rig, then start using your electical whatevers.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I would follow manufactuerers recomendations for first start and use before loading it up. Each man has their own set of rules on this matter to avoid violate the warranty. After that start the unit let it go to idel to avoid surges, make sure everything in the trailer is turned off before you plug in or you may get an electrifying experience, then turn things on one by one.
You can ask any electrician and they will tell you that anytime you first start there is allways a temp surge. And I would strongly suggest you ask an electrician.

SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote