Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Generator for Bambi 16' A/C only

Hello everyone,

I am getting very close to purchasing my Bambi but I have been having a tough time understanding the whole "generator for A/C" power thing. Reading through the Electrical posts is a bit overwhelming.

The Bambi has a 11,000 A/C. What is the smallest generator I can carry and run the A/C (I live in AZ and they only time I would use it is specifically for the A/C as I am not a power hog otherwise).

My preference is Propane, but do any generators come propane from the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Tara
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I would get one of the new champion dual fuel generators. No external conversion, and the ability to switch back to gas if necessary. I think you'd probably need the 2800/3100 watt model.

I was not able to consistently run my 2015 16' air conditioner with one 2000 watt generator, so I think anything in that range is a gamble. I rarely use the ac, but will be buying a second 2000 watt just in case. The single unit is more weight to move around, but might make sense depending on your usage.

Good luck!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Looks awesome and would be perfect except for the 113lb weight would be so hard to lift in and out of the trailer. I have been thinking of the Honda, but to carry around 2 generators on the off chance it is hot just seems painful.

Do you use gas in yours or have you switched it over to propane?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Yamaha 2400 will run your AC
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Ditto the Yamaha 2400. Runs my 13.5 coleman, can even start it during extreme southern temperatures.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Is it possible to get the Yamaha 2400 with propane?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Yamaha2400 is a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
The Yamaha 2400 is a good choice, BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT IT ON PTOPAE ?????

Those puppies sip gas and will run for many hours on a tank full of gas.
Gas is readily available in most areas.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
Yes, it is. Get it from USCarb. They are an authorized Yamaha dealer and sell Yamaha tri-fuel modified generators that are certified by them and covered under the Yamaha 3 year warranty. I have one and use it on propane most of the time. Your hardware for the outside barbecue will get you hooked up. You may need an adapter on the generator side, but the hose and connector from airstream will connect to the bbq hookup. Propane runs cleaner and much longer. Be sure to follow instructions you get from USCarb.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
The Yamaha 2400 is a good choice, BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT IT ON PTOPAE ?????

Those puppies sip gas and will run for many hours on a tank full of gas.
Gas is readily available in most areas.
No comparison. The gas tank is very small, whereas your propane hookup is to your AS tanks. Several days of propane supply. Gas is dirty and very smelly, and very combustible. I doubt you will make it through one entire night without emptying that small gas tank. No fun waking up in the middle of the night freezing. I have used mine both ways. Now, I only use propane.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
My 2000 watt inverter gen will run the A/C, but just barely. On hot days in full sun, the gen engine screams at wide open throttle to keep the A/C output up. If the only thing you will use the gen for is A/C, I would also choose the Yamaha 2400. Paying for a dual fuel gen seems like a ridiculous expense if you only intend to use it infrequently.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
My 2000 watt inverter gen will run the A/C, but just barely. On hot days in full sun, the gen engine screams at wide open throttle to keep the A/C output up. If the only thing you will use the gen for is A/C, I would also choose the Yamaha 2400. Paying for a dual fuel gen seems like a ridiculous expense if you only intend to use it infrequently.
No, the opposite is true. I have been using one for a few years now. If you are only using it for A/C, having to carry extra gas is what is ridiculous. Yes, they are pricey, but worth it. The unit weighs about 70 lbs. Only a couple pounds is from the propane adaption. Had I bought the gas version, I would have wasted most of the money. I have never regretted spending the extra, for the convenience. Propane is so much more convenient. I've used it with gas in the past, and I have used gas only generators. Now, I NEVER use gas for the generator.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have two Honda 2000s ... gasoline. Gas vs Propane? Much of the choice is preference, but there are a few advantages to each.

Propane:
(1) Easier for longer runs (without having to do a special as tank et-up).
(2) You don't have to worry about gas in the tank and carburetor varnishing (going bad) and gumming up the works during extended non-use ...
(3) Hauling gas is an issue and inconvenience for some folks, especially if you are using an SUV and don't want gas inside. You will have propane on board anyway..so it's available.

Gasoline:
(1) No conversion necessary (nix this if it comes ready for propane)
(2) We like having extra gas with us ... what we don't use goes in the truck for the trip home. And it's nice to know you have a bit extra when you aren't sure of gas availability on certain legs of a trip.
(3) While propane is generally not that hard to find, gas is easier to find.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
No comparison. The gas tank is very small, whereas your propane hookup is to your AS tanks. Several days of propane supply. Gas is dirty and very smelly, and very combustible. I doubt you will make it through one entire night without emptying that small gas tank. No fun waking up in the middle of the night freezing. I have used mine both ways. Now, I only use propane.
What Rich Said... Of course, I also will tow with an SUV (carrying Gas in my car is not something I EVER want to do) and I sure don't want gas in the Airstream either.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have two Honda 2000s ... gasoline. Gas vs Propane? Much of the choice is preference, but there are a few advantages to each.

Propane:
(1) Easier for longer runs (without having to do a special as tank et-up).
(2) You don't have to worry about gas in the tank and carburetor varnishing (going bad) and gumming up the works during extended non-use ...
(3) Hauling gas is an issue and inconvenience for some folks, especially if you are using an SUV and don't want gas inside. You will have propane on board anyway..so it's available.

Gasoline:
(1) No conversion necessary (nix this if it comes ready for propane)
(2) We like having extra gas with us ... what we don't use goes in the truck for the trip home. And it's nice to know you have a bit extra when you aren't sure of gas availability on certain legs of a trip.
(3) While propane is generally not that hard to find, gas is easier to find.
Thanks TBRich... Maybe I should mention that my SUV is a Porsche Macan. My poor car is very spoiled and only uses Chevron or Texaco Super Premium. Not what I would use to run a generator :-)

For me carrying gas is the deal breaker on a generator. While I understand how important it is to have A/C in the middle of the desert, this is the only reason why I would run my A/C as the temperatures can be killer.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
I've been using a gasoline Honda 2000 with no problem running the AC on our Sport. Very quiet and portable. Gasoline has a higher btu value then propane
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Alas, MsTara I'm in the same predicament as you! I myself just purchased 23D two weeks ago and just got back from our first 3 day test run. Wife and i decided we will need a generator too and have come to the conclusion to use propane generator. I dont have alligence to Honda but may go that route. Only thing we haven't decided on is to go with one 2K or two in parallel. The sweet spot would've been a 3K so we'll see. This is where I'm looking to purchase http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...g_packages.htm

Our TV is a Touareg TDI, and now way ill have gas in it, nor the AS, or even on my TV roof rack >.<
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #17
DawnLuvsPossums

2016 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
Finally, a rational generator suggestion!

Quote:
Yes, it is. Get it from USCarb. They are an authorized Yamaha dealer and sell Yamaha tri-fuel modified generators that are certified by them and covered under the Yamaha 3 year warranty. I have one and use it on propane most of the time. Your hardware for the outside barbecue will get you hooked up. You may need an adapter on the generator side, but the hose and connector from airstream will connect to the bbq hookup. Propane runs cleaner and much longer. Be sure to follow instructions you get from USCarb.
OMG Rich! I wish I had seen this awhile ago!!! I have asked, asked, asked for help with the whole generator nightmare. I'm disabled and CAN NOT lug around my 2 honda 2000s not to mention dealing with the gas is a nightmare! Something on wheels is doable, especially if I can use the onboard propane, which everyone was telling me I couldn't.

I'm still a newbie...could you please walk me through how you connect to the AS propane? I only have my honda's so I can go either route, with a yamaha or champion (the champion looks appealing, dual fuel I believe, on wheels, lotsa plugs and looks super friendly as a household backup generator as well). You use the Yamaha? If you were in FL blasting your AC, how long do you think you could last on 2 full AS tanks?

Really looking forward to a reply here! This is the first thing that has made a bit of sense about the best way to power the AS with a generator! TY! TY! TY! I don't know the first thing about propane hookups, so I'm really going into this blind and any additional info you give would go a LONG way!
LuvsPossums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #18
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
I use a Honda 30000i Handi... It weighs 78 lbs and has wheels...Its more than enough to handle the air conditioner and a few other appliances...Also small engine repair shops recommend using premium fuel in small engines..
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #19
DawnLuvsPossums

2016 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
That's CT, Not FL ;)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkersToy View Post
I've been using a gasoline Honda 2000 with no problem running the AC on our Sport. Very quiet and portable. Gasoline has a higher btu value then propane
Well, I was going to thank you for that; however, I'm in FL and I'm just not so sure that would fly down here with the kind of heat and humidity we have, which is parallel to a hot sauna. Even the 2 in parallel are probably being worked pretty darned hard, but I'd love to hear if anyone has actually pulled this off in a hot as h*ll state like FL!
LuvsPossums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Sorry, I didn't see this right away. I haven't been on the forum for awhile. Just got on to resolve and electrical issue and saw your post.

I would contact USCARB. They have several after market conversion kits. I think they have them for Hondas as well. Also, recently found this link

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

It appears to allow weaker generators to kick on smaller ac units. You might get by with a lighter weigh Honda this way. Good luck.

To answer your question...I have never used more than a bit over one of my propane tanks, running air, stove and all, camping for up to about 4 days in the mountains. Much longer than gas will last...have run out of gas when I used to rent trailers and use older hondas to run the heater at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsPossums View Post
OMG Rich! I wish I had seen this awhile ago!!! I have asked, asked, asked for help with the whole generator nightmare. I'm disabled and CAN NOT lug around my 2 honda 2000s not to mention dealing with the gas is a nightmare! Something on wheels is doable, especially if I can use the onboard propane, which everyone was telling me I couldn't.

I'm still a newbie...could you please walk me through how you connect to the AS propane? I only have my honda's so I can go either route, with a yamaha or champion (the champion looks appealing, dual fuel I believe, on wheels, lotsa plugs and looks super friendly as a household backup generator as well). You use the Yamaha? If you were in FL blasting your AC, how long do you think you could last on 2 full AS tanks?

Really looking forward to a reply here! This is the first thing that has made a bit of sense about the best way to power the AS with a generator! TY! TY! TY! I don't know the first thing about propane hookups, so I'm really going into this blind and any additional info you give would go a LONG way!