Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Generator for 2012 Flying Cloud 20' Bambi to Run AC?

I have a 2012 Flying Cloud 20' Bambi.

What would I need in terms of a generator to run the AC. It is very hot in Texas. Do any of you get by without a generator?

But with a generator, what type do I need and do I just hook it up to the 30 Amp service?
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Waterville , Minnesota
You will need a 3000 watt for a minimum, and yes you do hook the trailer cord to it, but you will need a "pigtail" to adapt the different ends.
Bait guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What size AC do you have? If it is an 11000 btu you can get by with a 2000 honda. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Casita's have a 9000btu AC and those owners find the 2000 Honda is almost not enough. They can't run anything else with the AC on running the compressor. Two Honda 2000s, one plus the Companion, or 3000 watt generator is needed for a 13k AC. Just about every state park or even federal park TX has a minimum of electricity at each site. Why would you need a generator? Boondocking in 100F doesn't sound much fun.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Casita's have a 9000btu AC and those owners find the 2000 Honda is almost not enough. They can't run anything else with the AC on running the compressor. Two Honda 2000s, one plus the Companion, or 3000 watt generator is needed for a 13k AC. Just about every state park or even federal park TX has a minimum of electricity at each site. Why would you need a generator? Boondocking in 100F doesn't sound much fun.
I need the generator as during the day there are times I will need the trailer at a place without electrical. I'll need to boondock in the heat. I have no other choice.

Not sure how big the AC unit is.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
What size AC do you have? If it is an 11000 btu you can get by with a 2000 honda. Jim
I think it's a 13000 BTU ACU unit. So what are my options now?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't think you can go wrong with the performance of the 3k Yamaha and Honda generators, but they're not dainty little things. I bought my Yamaha EF3000iSEB rather than a matched set of 2k generators because I got a smokin' deal used from someone I trust, but if I'm putting it in the truck by myself I have to use a deer hoist (some people use ramps.) It's been fantastic, it's very quiet and reliable and as long as you use the fuel shutoff valve to let is pull the float bowl dry rather than just shutting it off and letting the gas gum up your carburetor, it's low-maintenance.

If you have to buy new, there's no free lunch. The lower-priced options (Champions, the "Smarter Tools" inverters sold through Costco, the cheaper brands Camping World carries, etc) just don't have the reputation for reliability that the Yamaha and Honda generators have earned, but the lower cost of entry is tempting.

At a minimum you want an inverter generator. You get cleaner power output and typically much quieter operation. If I were going for a bargain generator today I'd probably get a pair of the Smarter Tools 2k inverters from Costco first, because if they're terrible right off the bat it's an easy process to hand them back. The next fallback I'd consider would be one of the refurbished Champion "bundles" from supergen, out the door price is very attractive but I would not expect the same kind of experience I have had from my Yamaha if I went that route.

Remember, I'm writing in the hypothetical... I wouldn't trade you a brand-new pair of either of those brands for my heavy 5-year-old Yamaha.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A Yamaha 2400is ran mine.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have two Honda EU2000i (one "standard" and one "companion", hooked in parallel); and Yamaha and other manufactures make fine, similarly-sized generators suitable for running your air conditioner.

Alternately, instead of two "2000" generators, a single "3000" generator (or larger) can be used. However, these models are much heavier, and smaller and/or older people may have difficulty moving/lifting them.

Make sure to check specifications for noise level, as even the quietest models aren't silent. Also, off-brands may be noisier and less reliable, with construction generators being the loudest.

Personally, I would not even consider using a construction generator; as you will make no friends in regular campgrounds. Of course, that's assuming they don't set fire to your generator, stone your Airstream, or run you out of the campground, tarred and feathered, on a rail.

Whatever generator(s) you select, all will use a lot of fuel while powering your air conditioner. So, if you plan to boondock and run your air conditioner 24/7, you should also look at "extended-run kits" that connect external fuel tanks to your generator(s). Please note that even with external tank(s) your generators will need frequent refilling, most likely every day.

There are lots of threads on this site that contain good information on generators. Suggest you use SEARCH function and do a little reading to see which brand and model will best fit your needs.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0is-95114.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tem-92779.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...gas-67886.html
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote