Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Generator Etiquette

Wouldn't it be nice if all the Aux. at the unserviced campground ran at the same time. This way it might cause fewer people to complain.
If enough users contribute to the approx. time that they usually need to run them, maybe we could come to a general conclusion as to the time of day/night that would be most appropriate. Then camping areas could post times that they are/are not allowed.
Our own experience would say if no sun for solar, that the meal preparation for supper seems to require lots of juice for the microwave, and the coffee pot.
So for us it would be 5 to 6PM.
Add your thoughts and comments.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, how about starting the generators at 10:00 AM and shutting them off at Sunset or 6:00 PM which ever comes first. I would be OK with that.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I favor a couple hours in the evening (4 to 6 PM )in case the solar didn't do its job. If it did, no need for the noise
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I vote for generator free sections of the campground I have been at a few state parks that have generator/quiet time restrictions, but them being enforced is a different issue.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think allowing quiet generators and banning loud construction site type generators.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
IMHO, it all depends on the particular campground...if you're jammed right next to your neighbor, even a quiet Honda genny is going to rattle some nerves...

In a more 'open' campground, the Honda is hardly noticeable 25 feet away...

We usually run our 2K Honda in the morning (to top off batt's used the night before) after 10:00 AM - most campers are well up and around by then making their own 'noise', kids playing, dogs barking, coyotes hawing, etc...

We'll fire up the Honda for a few min's to run the microwave oven in the evening if needed, but we try to promptly turn it off when done - neighbors inside their rigs probably can't even hear it - even if they can hear the slight 'purr' of the Honda, a couple of min's ain't going to kill em', IMHO...

Within the 'allowed' running hours, it still comes down to common sense, I guess...and we don't really run ours unless we need it for battery recharge or the microwave - all our TV, DVD, Sat watching is run off our inventer - not the genny...
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #7

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Most of the time it's not the "fired up" generators thats the problem.....It's the "fired-up campers".
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Couple of observations: first, I've never actaually used my generator since solar install, so I'm a little out of it regarding this conversation. And I try to avoid "campgrounds," so I don't have much of an issue with other folks (I also don't like other folks' screaming kids, barking dogs, etc.) ... but had an interesting experience last weekend in Smoky Mountain National Park. They have no hookups, so it's sort of "boondocking" and in some campground areas, they just don't allow generators at all. In other areas, they allow generator use, but only 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. I think they're pretty stringent on enforcing these rules. We were in the generator area, because that's where I could get a spot, and I noticed a few folks running theirs a few hours a day, but mostly about 2-4 in the afternoons. Not at all at meal times. Might have been diferent if it had been hot and folks wanted to run their A/C.

And yes, some were quieter than others, but I think that it would be very difficult to regulate the "type" of generator one could use. There are no real rules about what is quiet and what is not - and it's my experience that many folks with "construction type" generators think they're very quiet.

So, it appears that in general, we've all got two choices: either go stay where there are no other people and/or where there are no generators allowed at all, or put up with some noise.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
NPS does, in fact, have noise standards for generators, based on decibel level at a certain distance from the generator.....
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think I should come get your genni. You dont use it so its probably full of Cobwebs and spyders and crawly things.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I'll just plan to camp where the geezers with hearing aids are. That should handle the genny noise issue.

Now, about the damned cell phones....
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Wouldn't it be courteous for people *not* to run their generator for literally hours and hours per day because they haven't replaced their aging house batteries and/or they want to watch movies?

I can understand running the generator for a reasonable amount of time to top off house batteries or prepping a meal, but on several occasions we've camped near people that would run the thing all day long and they were not running the A/C. The weather was nice.

If campers must use generators, it might be a relief to only hear them running maybe an hour or two in the mornings and then the same at dinner time. I like to hear the birds and the wind in the trees, so we make every effort to camp away from the crowds and peak times for this very reason.
Janet & Leon
2007.5 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins 16+ mpg towing
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Resistance is futile. The Borg got it right.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
and the Warner got Borg...

A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote

apu, auxilary power unit, generator