Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Generator enclosure mounted on bumper?

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this and am trying to get my airstream set up. I bought 2 Yamaha EF2000is generators, each weighing around 45 pounds, and would like to house them in a locking aluminum toolbox (approx 40 pounds), that is specially designed for this, and then mount the whole thing on the back bumper. Here is a link to the box that I'm looking at:
http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm
To me this seems much easier than lugging the two units in and out of my truck every time I need power, not to mention more secure. I can't run the generators in my truck cab, as it is covered. I've read that the bumpers can't support much weight, but this seems fairly light to me (about 160 pounds to be safe). Is this possible? Would I need to worry about about fumes coming in through the windows having the generator this close? I've never used a generator in my life! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
__________________

__________________
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
Silver Hawk's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 353
I think the problem isn't the 160 lbs., but the leverage arm back from the axles - on a 27' trailer I think it would be something like 10'. Long time since collage but I think the kinetic energy heading down when you hit a bump (depending on the speed) would be in the neighborhood of 1,000 lbs. at speed. It's going to want to keep going while the rest of the trailer goes back up after the bump. This will surely tear your lightly built (think aircraft) Airstream apart with time. Find another solution.
I have mine in the back of the truck and just open the top of the rear shell and run it - not at night when we're sleeping, and it works quite well.
__________________

__________________
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,470
Silver hawk x2.
What you are proposing is a recipe for disaster.

Dan
__________________
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks for the response. That's a shame, it would've been the perfect place for them but not at the expense of structural integrity. I'll have to re-think!
__________________
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs down IMHO...no

I think you'll find the consensus is.....don't do it.

We carry our Honda in a 24gal Rubbermaid ActionPacker in the Airstream. Haven't had any problem with fumes.
Might be worth checking to see if they would work for you.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	195536  
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
I'm scared to use them in an enclosed space of any kind. I think the fumes might build up and even seep into the cab? So I guess my options are:

1) Store them in the truck covered bed and then take them in and out for use outside (I'm a small female so this isn't easy for me). Also what do people do about rain and theft? How far away from the trailer should they be? I keep reading about the dangers of fumes, and I don't want to take ANY chances. I have two small dogs, and will be running the generators while I'm away to ensure the inside temps don't get too hot for them when I leave them alone.

2) Mount the box to the top of my truck (F250)? and use a stepladder for access (much easier than all that lifting but would this be a good idea? Would it be too tall?)

Any other ideas?
__________________
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
We run ours is its own three person tent...stays dry and runs well with the fly and windows open.

Back in it's AP when away from the Camp.

I would not run them with no one at the campsite. Just not safe.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08281.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	195538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08287.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	195541  

Attached Images
 
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,470
OK folks, I have been looking for a good opportunity to post the following photo. It looks like he has two bikes, a ladder, a blue boy, generator and some more clap trap on the rear bumper. Now in defense of this Airstreamer, he has made some major structural modifications underneath. Time will tell if they are adequate.

The photo was taken at the Springfest music festival in Live Oak Florida earlier last spring.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7802.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	195540  
__________________
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Sbb
begorragirl
 
Sbb's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,029
Images: 2
I had a friend who mounted his generater on tongue on top of batteries behind propane...toally not legal but dealer did it anyway. The trailer was a sob. That was a disaster waiting to happen.
__________________
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
panheaddale's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia View Post

2) Mount the box to the top of my truck (F250)? and use a stepladder for access (much easier than all that lifting but would this be a good idea? Would it be too tall?)

Any other ideas?
I like the idea of mounting them on the roof of the cover on your truck. Up and out of the way to leave more space for other things.Might have to add some support to the top, Not very likely to have any problem with people trying to steal them. The height would be legal but you would have to watch where you drove to, Probably no drive thru windows anywhere, no parking garages or anywhere that has low clearance. If you go that route post some pics to let us see how you did it.
__________________
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
I have a cap on my truck and run a 3000 Yamaha with the tailgate open both side windows open and a fan running to move hot air and fumes out
__________________
2007 25' Classic LTD
2010 F 250 Crew Cab 8 ' bed
yes the truck is longer than the trailer....but that is a good thing

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
I'm kind of liking this idea as well. I'll definitely post pictures if it works out
__________________
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia View Post
I'm scared to use them in an enclosed space of any kind. I think the fumes might build up and even seep into the cab? So I guess my options are:

1) Store them in the truck covered bed and then take them in and out for use outside (I'm a small female so this isn't easy for me). Also what do people do about rain and theft? How far away from the trailer should they be? I keep reading about the dangers of fumes, and I don't want to take ANY chances. I have two small dogs, and will be running the generators while I'm away to ensure the inside temps don't get too hot for them when I leave them alone.

2) Mount the box to the top of my truck (F250)? and use a stepladder for access (much easier than all that lifting but would this be a good idea? Would it be too tall?)

Any other ideas?
you should read these threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...arm-13308.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ide-79116.html
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia View Post
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this and am trying to get my airstream set up. I bought 2 Yamaha EF2000is generators, each weighing around 45 pounds, and would like to house them in a locking aluminum toolbox (approx 40 pounds), that is specially designed for this, and then mount the whole thing on the back bumper. Here is a link to the box that I'm looking at:
http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm
To me this seems much easier than lugging the two units in and out of my truck every time I need power, not to mention more secure. I can't run the generators in my truck cab, as it is covered. I've read that the bumpers can't support much weight, but this seems fairly light to me (about 160 pounds to be safe). Is this possible? Would I need to worry about about fumes coming in through the windows having the generator this close? I've never used a generator in my life! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Moment arm, is the issue.

Your 160 pounds at 10 feet equals 1600 pounds, sitting still.

As the trailer hits bumps, that weight increases dramatically.

Also, keep in mind, that you will also be destroying some tongue weight.

Bottom line, DON'T DO IT.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.