Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia View Post
I plan on buying a locking galvanized steel enclosure that is specially designed to house generators. I found them online at a marine supply company and they'll make them to order to fit any model of generator for a fairly reasonable price (they quoted me about $375 for a box to house both). They have slide off panels that allow for air circulation while running or total enclosure while transporting or not in use, as well as access holes to pull the cord and re-fill the fuel. The top of my truck is easily accessible with a folding aluminum ladder. I would mount the steel box enclosure on my roof rack (I have a A.R.E. commercial metal canopy with a rack) hopefully in a way that can be detached while I'm not traveling. The generators would be fully protected from the rain and elements, secure, and out of the way whether they're running or not. I was considering putting a high density 3/4" foam mat under the box to reduce vibration and noise. I have a gym on the 2nd floor of my home with a PowerPlate machine that is basically just a vibrating platform. It shakes your skull and rattles your brains if you're not in a braced position! It also rattles like crazy on hardwood floors but when it's on top of a foam mat like the one I described almost all of the vibration is absorbed. These generators have nowhere near the vibration of the PowerPlate. I spoke with the guy who installed my canopy today and he said it wouldn't be a problem to attach the enclosure box with generators on the roof rack. Like I said, clearance and drag from wind resistance are issues. The enclosure box would be approx 36"W x 18" H x 23"D weighing approx 150 pounds. Thanks for adding the link to "ask the expert", I want to have a clear picture of the risks, benefits, and tradeoffs before I go forward. Better to do it right the first time around than learn the hard way. Why do you say you need to secure the power cord? Are those frequently stolen as well? Geez, I guess anything that isn't nailed down huh?
***150 pound including the generator
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #42
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Well you are certainly covering all your bases....good luck!!

Bob
Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'm an interior designer (on hiatus) so I'm very used to problem solving around design issues and fairly meticulous by nature. It's 90% research and logistics and 10% creative expression to bring any vision to realization. Form follows function right? Address your needs and desires and the design spings from there. I'm still considering all options but this is definitely the direction I'm leaning towards given my needs and limitations. Anyways, thanks for responding!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Not saying I loved this idea, but this is what I did when we drove our Excursion; mounted a front receiver and placed a tray that would hold the generator. As you can see, it was clearly visible driving, did not seem to impair the airflow to the radiator, and could stay where it sat - just ran a long cord to the trailer.

Really, the only downside was risk associated with a potential front end accident where you have a gas powered machine sitting there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	195625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	195626  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Carrying the generator in front of the TV has some merits. This makes some sense to me.

Carrying two generators in a box on top of the TV- no way! New solutions have new problems. I don't think that you have a handle on what you are really trying to do and the kind of problems you will run into.

- I think the box and generators will weigh much more than 150 lbs. How thick is the stainless steel?
- Have they made boxes before that have carried generators on top of TV?
- Do you really want to be the test pilot on this venture?

Good Luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
What is TV? Sorry I admit, I'm in the dark as far as the physics involved, that's why I'm here! I've found that the people who want to sell you stuff will often put their own self-interest above what is best for the customer. The box supposedly weighs around 40 lbs and the generators are 45 lbs each so that brings the total weight to just under 150 lbs. It will be around 18" tall and if it's mounted with the short end parallel to the bumpers will only be 23" wide. I didn't ask the thickness of the steel but and it isn't given on the website: Generator Box
What concerns do you have with this set-up given your expertise in engineering, worst case scenario? I think it would be similar to having a heavy foot locker mounted to the roof rack of your truck canopy rack.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maia

The box is designed to carry a generator on the back of a motorhome so it will not get stolen. Period. It is not designed to carry a generator(s) on top of your tow vehicle (TV). They indicate that you can operate the generator in the box. Maybe. What does the generator manual say about the ventilation requirements. I saw nothing about starting and refueling the generator in the box. You are right though- they will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale.

The big problem I have is carrying all that weight up high when you do not have to. This will have a negative affect on the vehicle being able to handle in an emergency situation. It is not safe!

Here is what I suggest. Carry both generators in the bed of your TV. So you don't lose the storage space in the bed that they take up, carry a storage box on a rack in front of the TV just like Nilesrob carried his generator.

It is good that you are able to think outside the box. I do that myself sometimes and it has worked out well for me. Carrying generators on top is not a good idea. Please do not try this.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm sorry ... I'm really not trying to be a nay-sayer, honest ... but I just cannot imagine you ending up being a happy camper when faced with dealing with two generators on top of your truck. To me it sounds like you're creating impossible generator management issues. The generators fuel from the top ... so in order to put fuel in them you'd have to climb the ladder ... with the fuel ... even higher than the box in order to see what you're doing ... (This could be overcome, I suppose, if you come up with a fuel delivery system, but frankly, engineering that successfully would be another stretch.) And if you think lifting 45 lbs in and out of the truck bed is difficult, think about what it's going to be like schlepping those two 45-lb generators up a ladder one at a time and getting them into the box... Remember, also that the generators do have to come out regularly for service, so that would not be a one-time trip.

While I appreciate thinking outside the box, I think this solution is doomed...by not only the demands of the care and feeding of the generators... these concerns do not even address potential issues created by the increased height of your tow vehicle and its dynamics going down the road.

There are better solutions available.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Maia,

To me, placing the generators on the roof sounds like a bad idea, although if truth be told I don't hesitate to mount two 60 lb. kayaks on my roof. But the weight is distributed and the height is lower. But the other objection is simply ease and use.

Because I carry a bigger generator and don't want to move it (like you), I run a heavy duty extension cord to the bed of the truck and run the generator in the back of my truck; no moving the generator once it is set, which was one of your original goals if I understand your initial comments. I don't have a truck cap, but I would think with care and the back gate open and side windows open that running the generator in the back of the truck sounds reasonable, although I would not understate caution from carbon monoxide.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
I have no problems with naysayers or having an idea shot down. The idea that survives will be the one that can't be shot down (or at least tips the scales overwhelmingly). Reasons to not go forward are why I'm here. I already know the positives, now I need to understand the negatives so thanks TouringDan and TBRich. Mistakes are dangerous and costly and I'm hoping to avoid them as much as possible. I'm new to towing and to RVs, this is my first truck and my first trailer so it's all virgin territory for me at this point. I love traveling and being in nature, and have visited many countries but have barely seen the United States which is my home and there is so much to see! I'm also a homebody when I'm home and hate to leave my dogs so to me this is the best of both worlds and truly the realization of a dream, but also a lot of mechanical, technical hands-on work and knowledge that I have no understanding of and feel a bit intimidated by I'm doing this alone, so I have no one to fall back on. Its all me to know what to do and how to do it without screwing up bigtime. I figure most of it doesn't require a lot of physical strength so I'll be just as capable as a man once I learn my way right? I see those women soldiers and tell myself I'm being a wuss for being intimidated. I'm still learning how to drive properly! TouringDan, as far as starting and re-fueling the generator while in the box, the guy that I spoke with when I called to find out more info was the one who told me that this was part of the design feature. I've seen some of these boxes with built in fans, though they're quite a bit more expensive (around $1000), and the man that I spoke with said that they're not necessary for this model of generator), though, like I said I take all salesmens' words with a grain of salt. So this looks like an idea that I won't be implementing (roof-top); damn! another one bites the dust. Well, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "I won't think about that today, I'll think about that tomorrow". Goodnight all.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, no matter how many generators you have and where you mount them for use, Never leave your kids [dogs] in the trailer while you are away from your trailer. [in hot weather]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Maia... Thank you for taking concerns expressed for the truck-top plan for the generators in the vein they are intended...as being helpful to you to find a way to deal with your generators in a way that works for best for you. And you are absolutely right...being a lady has nothing to do with you being a successful tower, RVer or person on the road. We here on the Forums all know many women who are every bit as capable as any man, and who are out there on their own, and doing it very well. More power to you! We are all really here to help one another out. There's a learning curve that we've all had to overcome...and you'll be just fine.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Joe Palmieri
If you get a chance to post any pictures of your truck slideout setup we would love to see it as that is likely a route we will go. No hurry it will be a while for us.
Thanks

We are going on vacation in a few hours, have to get moving. I will load the gen and post a few photos when we return.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I've had 2 canoes (60 lbs each) on top of the truck, so the weight of the generators is not an issue if you have a proper rack. The problem I see is getting them up and down and where do you put the ladder. One of the primary reasons for buying the twin Hondas was ease of moving them around.

If travelling with a generator is that important to you, sacrifices will need to be made. The only logical place to transport a generator is in the back of a pickup truck. and the only logical place to operate a generator is on the ground chained to the bumper.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote