Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Kirkland , Washington
Generator enclosure mounted on bumper?

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this and am trying to get my airstream set up. I bought 2 Yamaha EF2000is generators, each weighing around 45 pounds, and would like to house them in a locking aluminum toolbox (approx 40 pounds), that is specially designed for this, and then mount the whole thing on the back bumper. Here is a link to the box that I'm looking at:
http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm
To me this seems much easier than lugging the two units in and out of my truck every time I need power, not to mention more secure. I can't run the generators in my truck cab, as it is covered. I've read that the bumpers can't support much weight, but this seems fairly light to me (about 160 pounds to be safe). Is this possible? Would I need to worry about about fumes coming in through the windows having the generator this close? I've never used a generator in my life! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I think the problem isn't the 160 lbs., but the leverage arm back from the axles - on a 27' trailer I think it would be something like 10'. Long time since collage but I think the kinetic energy heading down when you hit a bump (depending on the speed) would be in the neighborhood of 1,000 lbs. at speed. It's going to want to keep going while the rest of the trailer goes back up after the bump. This will surely tear your lightly built (think aircraft) Airstream apart with time. Find another solution.
I have mine in the back of the truck and just open the top of the rear shell and run it - not at night when we're sleeping, and it works quite well.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Silver hawk x2.
What you are proposing is a recipe for disaster.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Thanks for the response. That's a shame, it would've been the perfect place for them but not at the expense of structural integrity. I'll have to re-think!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down IMHO...no

I think you'll find the consensus is.....don't do it.

We carry our Honda in a 24gal Rubbermaid ActionPacker in the Airstream. Haven't had any problem with fumes.
Might be worth checking to see if they would work for you.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	195536  
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
I'm scared to use them in an enclosed space of any kind. I think the fumes might build up and even seep into the cab? So I guess my options are:

1) Store them in the truck covered bed and then take them in and out for use outside (I'm a small female so this isn't easy for me). Also what do people do about rain and theft? How far away from the trailer should they be? I keep reading about the dangers of fumes, and I don't want to take ANY chances. I have two small dogs, and will be running the generators while I'm away to ensure the inside temps don't get too hot for them when I leave them alone.

2) Mount the box to the top of my truck (F250)? and use a stepladder for access (much easier than all that lifting but would this be a good idea? Would it be too tall?)

Any other ideas?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We run ours is its own three person tent...stays dry and runs well with the fly and windows open.

Back in it's AP when away from the Camp.

I would not run them with no one at the campsite. Just not safe.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08281.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	195538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08287.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	195541  

Attached Images

Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
OK folks, I have been looking for a good opportunity to post the following photo. It looks like he has two bikes, a ladder, a blue boy, generator and some more clap trap on the rear bumper. Now in defense of this Airstreamer, he has made some major structural modifications underneath. Time will tell if they are adequate.

The photo was taken at the Springfest music festival in Live Oak Florida earlier last spring.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7802.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	195540  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I had a friend who mounted his generater on tongue on top of batteries behind propane...toally not legal but dealer did it anyway. The trailer was a sob. That was a disaster waiting to happen.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia View Post

2) Mount the box to the top of my truck (F250)? and use a stepladder for access (much easier than all that lifting but would this be a good idea? Would it be too tall?)

Any other ideas?
I like the idea of mounting them on the roof of the cover on your truck. Up and out of the way to leave more space for other things.Might have to add some support to the top, Not very likely to have any problem with people trying to steal them. The height would be legal but you would have to watch where you drove to, Probably no drive thru windows anywhere, no parking garages or anywhere that has low clearance. If you go that route post some pics to let us see how you did it.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
I have a cap on my truck and run a 3000 Yamaha with the tailgate open both side windows open and a fan running to move hot air and fumes out

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
I'm kind of liking this idea as well. I'll definitely post pictures if it works out
Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
I'm scared to use them in an enclosed space of any kind. I think the fumes might build up and even seep into the cab? So I guess my options are:

1) Store them in the truck covered bed and then take them in and out for use outside (I'm a small female so this isn't easy for me). Also what do people do about rain and theft? How far away from the trailer should they be? I keep reading about the dangers of fumes, and I don't want to take ANY chances. I have two small dogs, and will be running the generators while I'm away to ensure the inside temps don't get too hot for them when I leave them alone.

Any other ideas?
you should read these threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...arm-13308.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ide-79116.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this and am trying to get my airstream set up. I bought 2 Yamaha EF2000is generators, each weighing around 45 pounds, and would like to house them in a locking aluminum toolbox (approx 40 pounds), that is specially designed for this, and then mount the whole thing on the back bumper. Here is a link to the box that I'm looking at:
http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm
To me this seems much easier than lugging the two units in and out of my truck every time I need power, not to mention more secure. I can't run the generators in my truck cab, as it is covered. I've read that the bumpers can't support much weight, but this seems fairly light to me (about 160 pounds to be safe). Is this possible? Would I need to worry about about fumes coming in through the windows having the generator this close? I've never used a generator in my life! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Moment arm, is the issue.

Your 160 pounds at 10 feet equals 1600 pounds, sitting still.

As the trailer hits bumps, that weight increases dramatically.

Also, keep in mind, that you will also be destroying some tongue weight.

Bottom line, DON'T DO IT.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Now in defense of this Airstreamer, he has made some major structural modifications underneath. Time will tell if they are adequate.
TouringDan -- thanks for the post and unfortunately this is only a snapshot in time. Sadly, to make this work one would need to double or triple the vertical cross section of a beam.

Ever been in an old San Francisco building with the engineered diagonal earthquake resistant cross-bracing added? I'd really need to see detailed pics of how the Springfest guy went above the floor and created such a rigid structure. Just sistering I-beams or adding plate reinforcement doesn't convince me until I know more.

A good way to think about moment arms -- take a Funk & Wagnall's dictionary (these days a laptop) and hold it in your palm at arm's length. Stay that way for 10 minutes. Now go over a ratty road seam (or jump up and down). How do your arms feel? A moment arm multiplies force and is the identical effect to using a crowbar. Archimedes said, "Give me a lever and I will move the whole world."

Name:   lever.GIF
Views: 1914
Size:  5.4 KB

And thus will rear end separation and frame failure show it's face a late four, six or eight years after the mighty bumper storage has been installed.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums!

While I understand your wish to keep your pups cool (we also have 2 dogs to take into consideration), we personally we would never leave our generators running while we are not at the campsite. For two reasons: (1) Should one or both of your generators quit for some reason you would not be there to deal with it... and (2) the generators may very well not be there when you return... We put our generators away our of sight when we are not using them.

If it's raining we leave them in the bed of the truck with the tonneau top down and the tail gate open to keep them dry, yet provide plenty of air flow for operation.

If it's not that hot out you should be able to provide sufficient air movement and fresh air ventilation for the pups using your fantastic vent (you probably have two in a 27') and windows without needing the AC.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Wow, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. You've convinced me that it's not a smart idea, though I must admit I love that photo with the loaded up bumper! Quite a bit to learn and lots to do to get everything set up so I have a feeling I'll be spending a fair amount of time here!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I have a slide out inside the bed of my pickup with a fiberglass cap. My Honda 3000 sits on the tail end of the slide out. When I need AC power I open the cap and tailgate, pull out the slide out just to the end of the tailgate and run the generator in place. No lifting or struggling. If there is a sudden rainstorm I can quickly shut down, unplug and slide the generator in and close things up until it passes. Bad idea to leave the generator running at a campsite with no supervision. The slide out also gives me easy access to the rest of my camping gear as it is the full length of the truck bed and will support the generator fully extended. It is the best solution that I have found for my needs.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I like Joe's idea.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Palmieri View Post
I have a slide out inside the bed of my pickup with a fiberglass cap. My Honda 3000 sits on the tail end of the slide out. When I need AC power I open the cap and tailgate, pull out the slide out just to the end of the tailgate and run the generator in place. No lifting or struggling. If there is a sudden rainstorm I can quickly shut down, unplug and slide the generator in and close things up until it passes. Bad idea to leave the generator running at a campsite with no supervision. The slide out also gives me easy access to the rest of my camping gear as it is the full length of the truck bed and will support the generator fully extended. It is the best solution that I have found for my needs.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
The photo was taken at the Springfest music festival in Live Oak Florida earlier last spring.

Dan
Must not be a member here.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote