Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Moosetags - I think the young moose is on to something with the "carny troop" look: How about a towable cage for the generator? To help with fuel costs you could get a monkey that plays a music box for a dollar, and a bear that rides a bicycle to protect the generator from theft.

field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
The last time I had my FB in Area 63. Uwe and I discussed this and he suggested a propane fed Onan under the bed.

It would fit and be out of the way. Just a thought.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Moosetags, I've considered the same, and corresponded with a certain Airstream customizer in CO that has done such. I've deferred the project, as we've discovered that we very rarely use the generator - solar keeps our batteries charged very nicely. The tongue weight issue can be managed. Switch to two smaller, lighter, fiberglass propane tanks. Build a lightweight support frame to carry a single generator between the tanks. (My Yamaha 2400is generator runs my 13.5 Dometic A/C just fine, at only 80 lbs.) A stainless cover similar to the existing propane tank cover would look fine. If additional weight reduction were needed, you might move the spare tire to your tow vehicle.

I also considered a mount on the rear of the trailer. My generator would add no more weight to the rear frame than does the loaded Fiamma bike rack offered by Airstream.

Running the generator in the transport position is a different matter. Exhaust routing, ventilation, sound and vibration dampening are issues that would require serious design consideration. I haven't found a design for a suitable safe enclosure for these portable generators.

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote