Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
done editing-this is a new post

either the 3000 or the 6500 virtually cannot be heard in the trailer. Whatever appliance you run with the generator will make more noise than the gen. I used two vibration isolators (small rubber engine mounts from NAPA) stacked and the vibration was neglible. Yes, you know it is there when sitting on the couch, but that is the extent of it. Moosetags-go for it. btw, there is a gasoline fuel tank that is in the shape of a LP bottle, in case you wish to carry extra fuel outside of whatever tow rigs you use. the 6500 will run 14 hours at 1/2 load on its fuel tank; the 3000 even longer because it uses less fuel and actually has a larger fuel tank than the 6500. On my 95; I mounted a JAZ fuel cell beneath the gen in the place of the AS tool box; I used a holley blue pump and a quick connect and a keyed switch to refill the 3000 fuel tank if needed. you can always refuel via a gas can if you carry extra gas in a can.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Brian, Airstream has built a 25' trailer with a built-in generator for when they go to shows. Maybe you could contact Airstream about what they did, how big the generator is, and even if they would make the modification on y0ours. The generator was on the floor, directly behind the wheels, IIRC.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha
either the 3000 or the 6500 virtually cannot be heard in the trailer. Whatever appliance you run with the generator will make more noise than the gen. I used two vibration isolators (small rubber engine mounts from NAPA) stacked and the vibration was neglible. Yes, you know it is there when sitting on the couch, but that is the extent of it. .
I see the isolators in the picture. That answers my big worry! Nice set up BTW!
Brad
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Generator

Man, I don't know? I guess it would be nice to have an on board generator, but one of the things I like about the AS is the beauty and streamline look. I enjoy stepping back and just admiring the sweeping lines and the aero dynamics of the whole package. I'm afraid that if I did this to my AS it would take on a whole different character. I guess if the modification could be hidden someway with a shroud to keep the beauty of the trailer intact I could live with it, but I don't think I could mess with the integrity of the unit by putting a big generator up front for all to see. I also wonder (if I sell her) if the next owner would appreciate my handy work.

HankO
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Generator

Just an after thought,

I was wondering if you could take the storage space at the rear and mount the two small generators their, maybe put in some kind of a sliding tray where the generators could be pulled out when you are using them. I have never measured this space but my 28'r seems to have quit a bit of room in the rear storage compartment.

HankO
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Gotta ask....

Brian
When you say that you want to simplify the generator setup, I gotta ask what is so wrong about the 2 2000's? Are they difficult to lug around? I have always felt that the 2 2000's were the ultimate compromise between "roughing it" and convenience.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Brian
When you say that you want to simplify the generator setup, I gotta ask what is so wrong about the 2 2000's? Are they difficult to lug around? I have always felt that the 2 2000's were the ultimate compromise between "roughing it" and convenience.
No, the 2000's are not that difficult to deal with. We've been doing it that way for the last five years. For most of that time we carried the two generators in the back of our Suburban tow vehicles. More recently we have introduced a new tow vehicle. Our current primary tow vehicle is a one ton Chevrolet long bed pick up with an Outfitter pop-up truck camper mounted in the bed. Now we carry one of the generators in the back seat of the truck, and the second one in a compartment on the right side of the truck camper. It's not too difficult to snatch it out of there, but it's not as easy as it used to be.

A generator rig something like wmarsha's is what we were thinking about. Our "boondocking" usually consists of whipping into a Wal-Mart parking lot or rest area around midnight, hitting the sack, and being back on the road first thing in the morning. It sure would be nice to just park, turn on the generator, and hit the sack in air conditioned comfort.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What about a 3000 handi? It's a lot lighter and smaller than a 3000... but of course it's pull start and just a tad noisier. Much less impact on the tongue if you go that way.

Easy to put in the bed of a truck and padlock down, then cover with a dirty cardboard box (preferably one that is labeled with some kind of feminine hygiene product to deflect the curious).

Paula
Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
Man, I don't know? I guess it would be nice to have an on board generator, but one of the things I like about the AS is the beauty and streamline look. I enjoy stepping back and just admiring the sweeping lines and the aero dynamics of the whole package. I'm afraid that if I did this to my AS it would take on a whole different character. I guess if the modification could be hidden someway with a shroud to keep the beauty of the trailer intact I could live with it, but I don't think I could mess with the integrity of the unit by putting a big generator up front for all to see. I also wonder (if I sell her) if the next owner would appreciate my handy work.

HankO
Since we now pull Lucy with a truck camper rig, aerodynamic appearance is no longer an issue. Our youngest son says that we now look like part of a carny troop coming down the highway. He has asked when we are going to get a funnel cake machine and paint clowns and balloons
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post

HankO
Since we now pull Lucy with a truck camper rig, streamlined appearance is no longer an issue. Our youngest son says that we now look like part of a carny troop coming down the highway. He has asked when we are going to get a funnel cake machine and paint clowns and balloons on Lucy and the truck camper. I will have to admit that we quite a sight coming down the road. I guess that it's a matter of function ruling over appearance

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00337.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	172882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00330.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	172883  

Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Generator on A-frame

Hello All. I can't believe that no one even commented on the statement,
Andy at Inland RV made. He has been associated with AS for a very long time and should know what works and what doesn't.
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it's a proper modification.
I have heard from AS factory that even a bike rack on the rear bumper is a no no, let alone a generator.
I wonder how many people run a stress analysis on major components, like the A-frame, when an object weighing in at 200lb+ is added.
Just my $.02.
Happy camping and stat safe nm1oqrz
Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
say brian, how about a tow-behind generator to complete the carnie look ;-)

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....ory_4178_2.png
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
[QUOTE=richinny;1228598]say brian, how about a tow-behind generator to complete the carnie look ;-)

We could even dress the generator in a clown suit to deter theft.

Brian
Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Have you considered having a carrying mount built for the front of your truck. You could stow and haul the two 2000's out front in a secure mount.