Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Blainville , Colorado
Generator choice

Hi We have a 15,000 watts A.C. In our international 27FB and we are looking between Yamaha 3,000 watts and Honda 3,000 watts...
Is anyone know is one of them do the better job to run the a.c.
Honda is 77 pounds vs Yamaha 142 pounds
Dezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Either 3000W unit should work. You could also consider adding a Micro-Air EasyStart to your AC and using a 2000W generator.

We went with the dual fuel Champion unit so that we could run off propane instead of gas, and have enough power to run several things.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ah, you've found the 3rd-most-contentious topic (after tow vehicles and hitches) to get people to proselytize.

What's more important to you? Quiet operation or portability?

There are 2 Honda 3kw inverter generators. One is the "Handi" model (the lighter one to which you referred, I believe) and the other is the EU3000is that weighs close to what the Yamaha does. I think that the EU3000is and the Yamaha ef3000iSEb are noticeably quieter than the smaller "Handi" model of Honda 3kw generator, and Honda's noise level specs support me on that. They have larger engines, too. I can't say anything first-hand about the Handi's durability, but I know people with old EU3000is generators with lots of hours on them that start and run beautifully, and my ef3000iSEb is reliable and quiet as well. The Yamaha, however, is a bit too tall for carrying in a pickup with a tonneau that's below the bed rail, which is frustrating.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ah, you've found the 3rd-most-contentious topic (after tow vehicles and hitches) to get people to proselytize.

What's more important to you? Quiet operation or portability?

There are 2 Honda 3kw inverter generators. One is the "Handi" model (the lighter one to which you referred, I believe) and the other is the EU3000is that weighs close to what the Yamaha does. I think that the EU3000is and the Yamaha ef3000iSEb are noticeably quieter than the smaller "Handi" model of Honda 3kw generator, and Honda's noise level specs support me on that. They have larger engines, too. I can't say anything first-hand about the Handi's durability, but I know people with old EU3000is generators with lots of hours on them that start and run beautifully, and my ef3000iSEb is reliable and quiet as well. The Yamaha, however, is a bit too tall for carrying in a pickup with a tonneau that's below the bed rail, which is frustrating.

Don't forget about tires, that's also another contentious topic!!

Regarding. Generator, many good choices out there comparable to each other. After reading many posts, it seems you can't go wrong with any of the major brands.

I have history with Honda and no issues, so will stay with the red.

Thx
Old 06-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Chalet

2017 27' International
Blainville , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Either 3000W unit should work. You could also consider adding a Micro-Air EasyStart to your AC and using a 2000W generator.

We went with the dual fuel Champion unit so that we could run off propane instead of gas, and have enough power to run several things.

This is cool , thank you ,,, it is easy to install the micro-air ???
Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Check the heights for sure to see if it will fit where you want to carry it. I am running a 2000 and the easy start but I would not recommend starting out that way if you have a truck and room for a generator to sit in place. The 2000 is marginal at best and maybe in hot weather it won't make it. We went 10 years without running the AC on gen before I installed the easy start. Probably will not run it a lot that way but wanted to be able if we need to.

Been a while since I looked at generators but I thought one of the 3000 Hondas was too tall for my clamshell but I might have been figuring on adding a roll out bed at that time. Instead of the roll out bed my tool box and gen now sit on small pieces of plywood with a nylon rope. Slides along the slick, ridged bed liner just fine. I do not have a 3000 but have camped with people who do and run it in the truck bed. People from Texas and Louisiana who know camping with AC. A fine rig if you want electricity. You are pretty much limited to just running the AC while the truck is parked unless you want to take it out at a long stay. One of the trucks did have the bed open and a stake lift mounted for the generator.

Harbor Freight and other places have a good assortment of devices to lift the generators, ranging from a stake hole mounted winch to little roll around lift platforms. If you have a paved area into the garage you could store it on one of the roll around lifts. My 2000 is right at the limit of what I want to lift, so a 90lb would still require some help or a device for me.

I have camped with people running 2 of the 2000 hondas. But by the time you get it all set up with the long run tank it takes up quite a bit of space.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezo View Post
Hi We have a 15,000 watts A.C. In our international 27FB and we are looking between Yamaha 3,000 watts and Honda 3,000 watts...
Is anyone know is one of them do the better job to run the a.c.
Honda is 77 pounds vs Yamaha 142 pounds
Don't you have a 15,000 BTU AC? Not watts.
I went with the Honda EU3000is because I had used them at work and saw how reliable and quiet they were. I'd say the Yamaha is a coin toss, but I have no experience. Same with the Champion, and they seem to be serious to compete.

Yes, the Honda is heavy, even more so full of gas, but it runs 12 hours or so on a tank. It's 22.4" tall, and I think the yamaha is a bit taller, so if you have a tonneau, be advised. I think the Champion is a bit shorter and may run on propane too.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Dezo,

I noticed that you live in Colorado. Whatever generator you get, you will have to derate the power by 2% for every 1,000 feet in elevation above sea level.

The benefit of smaller generators is that you can probably lift 60 pounds yourself, but probably not 140 pounds or more of the larger generators. Two 2000 watt generators (in parallel) will easily run your A/C. One 2000 watt generator will probably not run your A/C with an Easy Start if you are camping at elevation in the Rockies.

Whatever generator you get, get the proper jets for the elevation you will be camping at.

Good shopping!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Bricktown , New Jersey
Talking

I own the Honda EU3000 Handi, Yamaha EF3000 and the EU2000 Companion because I own and operate a mobile DJ/outdoor movie company and rely upon generators. I also owned the (big) Honda EU3000 and the Yamaha EF2400 for 5 years. Here's my 2 cents.

1) The Honda 3000 Handi is the most expensive and loudest (not by much) of all Yamaha/Honda inverters. but has the best balance of power & portability.

2) The Yamaha EF2400 is portable, but has a major design flaw in that it runs in ECO mode all the time and there is no bypass switch. As per Yamaha corporate who almost denied my warranty claim, any inductive loads or surges WILL damage the motherboard over time. My advice: STAY AWAY!

3) The Honda EU3000i is a bulletproof, rock-solid quiet generator and so is the Yamaha EF3000is If you put a gun to my head and asked me who makes the best 3000: Honda or Yamaha, I would say Honda. However...I found that Yamaha dealers are willing to work better numbers. Yamaha EF3000is (no elec. start) MSRP is $1899. Out-the-door with tax, I paid $1,710.93 and it came with charging cables plus my dealer included a cover AND filled it with VP SEF 94 ethanol-free fuel.
When I bought my Honda EU3000is back in 2007, I had $2000 cash and dealer wouldn't budge of the $1999 MSRP.

FINAL THOUGHT: I think the Yamaha EF3000is (w/o) elec start is the way to go. I find it easier to lift in & out of a truck than the Honda EU3000 plus it has wheels which I like. Plus it can power just about anything in your RV.
jsvetrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
In campgrounds where generators are running it is easy to pick out the cheaper generators. They have a different tone than the Honda or Yamaha. We were just in Yellowstone and the cut off time for generator use is 8pm. Last year it was 9pm. As more generators, especially the cheaper ones, appear I'm afraid parks will reduce the amount of time they can be used in the evening hours. I carry either a Yamaha 2000 or Yamaha 24isHc so that I wouldn't offend those parked near me.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Oregon
I got some great feedback on a similar question in this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165277
Based on tests using a sound level app, the Champion 3100/3400 duel fuel is at least as quiet as the premium brands.
Dave18134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Generator choices

Great discussion about gen sets and which is best, quitter, etc., etc. Obviously we all have our own personal experiences and opinions, generator war stories but perhaps more importantly, our individual requirements and planned usages and locations where we intend to use generator power while camping. IMO three very good issues have been raised in prior posts that helped me make my decision on which generator to buy. 1) I have a tonneau cover on my truck bed with 20 1/2" clearance between rubber mat in truck bed and bottom brace on tonneau cover, 2) I primarily camp in the western mountains and high desert, between 4,000-10,000 ft elevation and 3) I really like being able to use dual fuels to power up a generator. Having said that, all other things nearly equal between Honda, Yamaha and Champion...I am going with Champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator. It will fit in the back of my truck, have extra power I think even at higher elevations, and fuel should not be an issue. Additionally it cost half of what the others do for comparable watts and should run appliances, power thief sources, start and run a single AC unit, charge batteries, etc. No I'm not salesman or affiliated with Champion but it my choice. Am I missing other options? Thanks for all your posts and helping me in making my decision.
Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That about sums it up.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I attempted to run my Yamaha 2000 generator but I kept getting a reverse polarity warning on my Surge Guard. I suspect the Surge Guard is causing the problem. Any electricians out there that can help me out?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I attempted to run my Yamaha 2000 generator but I kept getting a reverse polarity warning on my Surge Guard. I suspect the Surge Guard is causing the problem. Any electricians out there that can help me out?
Search "neutral bonding".

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote