Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Generator?

Anyone have any experience or info on the following generator? I am going to assume it is made in China. It is a 2 KVA unit with pure sign wave power.
Kipor model IG2000. I think the IG stands for "Inverter Generator"
It is 1/2 the price of a 2KVA Honda and has similar specs as far as noise etc.
I am going to assume that it won't run in parallel with another Kipor unit but at 2KVA it would certainly handle most of my needs.
Are there many vendors or service centers for this unit around the country?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I believe you are right that they are made in China.
I have heard that they don't last long.
Something like you get what you pay for.
Things are constantly changing so my advice is to always check where a product is made if that is important to you.
Manufacturers are constantly moving production to China etc. so what was made in Germany for instance may now be made in China.
Even the venerable Skil saw is now made in China.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
It is 1/2 the price of a 2KVA Honda and has similar specs as far as noise etc.
Not really, read the small print.
The db levels appear to be the same, but they are measured differently. The Honda at idle puts out 53 db which is measured 9 feet from the generator. The Kipor puts out 54 db measured at 23 feet from the generator.

If you use the caculator here: Damping of sound level with distance - decibel dB damping calculation calculator distance versus sound reduction drop-off free field loss - decrease drop fall in sound over distance versus dB sound at different distances microphone calculator distanc the Kipor would measure 62 db at the 9 foot distance that Honda uses and the Honda would measure 45 db at the Kipor distance.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had a friend who had one of the Kipor's which went dead (bad inverter) at less than 20 hours. He was upset, to say the least. However, he finally contacted the US arm of the company, and they stood behind the unit and sent him a new inverter to replace the old one. I think he put it in himself, however. But so far he has not had any further problems.

If a company wants to stay in the market, they have to have warantee and service available, Kipor seems to understand that. The ones I would be truly worried about are the $400 units from Costco which have very questionable parts and service availability down the line, after the generous Costco return policy runs out. (BTW, I love Costco but not everything they sell).

Years ago, "made in Japan" was considered inferior, then it became the standard. China is similar now, some very good stuff, some really bad stuff. The Apple computer I am on right now was made in China, to very tightly controlled (Apple) standards and is a fine machine. A company who farms out computer manufacturing to some little startup company and just puts their old line quality name on it may be selling good stuff or bad, who knows.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I didn't catch the difference in the distance on the db level specs. Thanks for pointing that out. I did look at a U Tube video where some construction equipment supplier(?) was testing the Kipor and it did sound rather noisy. I think I might just put out another $400.00 and go with the Honda. The only problem I have is I don't know how much use either one of them would get. So is it worth another $400.00?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My brother bought a Kipor after I strongly urged him to buy a quality Honda or Yamaha. When I camped with him at Yosemite, some of the campers around him were really complaining about the noise level. I would say that Kipors are a small step above those loud construction site type generators that you sometimes see, but mainly hear, people using. Don't even think for a moment that they are as quiet as the same size Honda or Yamaha.

Kipor is best for someone who has the ingrained habit of buying the cheaper version of a wide variety of consumer products. To me, when you're camping and trying to avoid mechanical breakdowns, those Kipor units are very expensive when you consider the value of your time and your hope that your generator will run for years without a lot of trouble. In the final analysis, I believe it is best to buy a Honda or Yamaha at the best price you can find on the internet. You pay 20-25% more but get a lot more for your investment.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
In addition to the advice given above, another thing to consider is that you can get a Honda generator worked on (and serviced) almost anywhere that sells Honda motorcycles or small engine shops. That is not always the case with some of the lesser known brands. Both Honda and Yamaha are quality items. You will not regret the purchase. We have two 2000w Hondas and would not be without them when we are dry camping or boon docking...one is a Comapnion and the other is the Standard model...this makes them very easy to parallel. (Two Standards can also be paralleled but it's more cumbersome.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I have the Kipor suitcase generator KGE-3000Ti which was a gray market import as the label with non-accurate rating suggestion attests to. It is 2300w 120VAC and supposed 2600w surge. One regular use I put to it is running an electric chainsaw.

On the smart-idle setting often will not start a 11.5 amp 3-peak-horsepower Remington until the RPMs kick up a little bit so its a second rapid trigger pull to get it rolling, figuring a factor of 4 inrush surge for the cheapest of motors used on the chainsaw, that 1380w motor needs to think there is 5000w there and that Kipor soft-start power ramp up works, mostly. On normal idle - running faster - it starts the thing everytime. A small contractor-grade air compressor I tried laughed at it and called it dirty names.

Quiet, yes its hushed - standing next to it running at full load reminds me of standing near a locomotive throttled up, the ground shakes and you feel the vibrations in your bones but its not much to 'hear'.

I've read and been told it is a licensed Honda designed copy - many Eu2000 parts will interchange - built for 3rd world countries where Honda does not have a presence. I bought two for the price of one Honda a few years back.

We might have to internet hunt parts for mail ordering but I'm pretty sure Honda parts would be 2X the cost if/when it comes to that.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie
I didn't catch the difference in the distance on the db level specs. Thanks for pointing that out. I did look at a U Tube video where some construction equipment supplier(?) was testing the Kipor and it did sound rather noisy. I think I might just put out another $400.00 and go with the Honda. The only problem I have is I don't know how much use either one of them would get. So is it worth another $400.00?
You might spend a bit more for the Honda but if you ever decide to sell it you will get a lot more for the Honda.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

If you camp off the grid, you will use your generator constantly and wonder how you ever got along without it.
I dry camped for a few years with only a 60 watt solar charger. Did mostly O.k. until I got a couple of cold, rainy days, ran the furnace and ran out of battery. Do you know how long it takes to charge the battery hooked up to the tow vehicle with the motor running? I finally gave up, hooked up the trailer and drove back to civilization and hookups. Now if I run out of sun, I hook up the Honda and in a couple of hours I am good to go.
It is also handy for running a lot of things like a small pump with a hose in the creek for filling your water tanks. Or, in dry storage hooked up to an air compressor to winterize your trailer. Or, when the power goes out hooked up to your freezer full of frozen food. Or, hooked up to your log splitter out in the forest cutting fire wood.
From what I have heard, if some one gave me a Kapoor or whatever they call it, I would give it to Goodwill and buy a Honda. Few things in life work as well and give as little trouble.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I should have mentioned in my post above, that I own two Honda's, a 1000 and a 3000, and think they are worth the money over a Kipor, but wanted to say that Kipor is trying to establish a presence here and might be OK. For my own money, repair situations, parts availability, resale and all makes the Honda a better machine.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I have 2 Honda 2000's they are quiet and easy to handle I also have a 6 gallon aux. gas tank they will run my ac for 12hrs on about 3 gallons of fuel . If I don't run the ac I only run 1 generator . I know some friends that have kipors they have ele. start but they are heavy at least the 3000 's are . I swear by the hondas well worth the money . Les wbcci 14183
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
"There is hardly anything in the world that someone can't make a little worse, and sell for a little less. Those who judge on price alone are this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin

Buy the Honda.

We have had one for about three years. Would do it again, but don't have to. Do it right the first time, you don't have to do it over.

Merry Christmas
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thats right ...Do it right the first time.
We have yet to get our 'First' generator, but when we do - it will be the uttermost one....it's true that you 'pay for what you get'.
We had a black out two years ago, and there are many many many generators in this town that are for resale, and will be looking to get the honda madel in the long run.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my generator is blue and I'm very happy with my choice.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You should be able to find a new honda eu2000is for $850.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Absolutely; you will never regret the Honda. Check on line for used ones and you will see that most folks are happy with and do not want to sell their Honda gens. IIRC - apparent sound levels double with every 3 db increment ... so consider all of the data before expending $$.

Yes, we have two Honda Eu2000 gens; one is the companion model ... everything we could ask of a generator and VERY happy with them (although there was a technical service bulletin out on the eco motor on the companion).
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I'm not pushing Kipor but it sure gets tiring hearing people would 'throw them away' if they were given one.

In the Colorado Front Range I've seen Eu2000's with 3000 hours on them, Eu3000's with 5000 hours on them before they loosen up and start knocking holes in cases, its a given there is something to them.

If you're hanging on to counting those few decibels, know they are manipulating the tests, their marketing people have to find some edge when the field is leveled by the Laws of Physics.

- the honda measures sound at 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches) from the CONTROL PANEL SIDE ('Incredibly Quiet' foot note of javascript chart)... Not the broad side or partial front/top/side - they listen to the skinniest end - they advertise noise levels measured from the side farthest away from the noisy bits and the side with the most intervening layers of shielding from controls mounts and air intake, etc. Let's see you point the control panel at all your neighbors, campground office and your bunk at the same time!

And just to show the 'Butcher's thumb on the scale' let us note the lush grass they set the units on for their video "sound comparison"... When was the last time we saw turf like that other than our own yards?

And as to Kipor popularity in places not North America:
(Best price eBay today 2kW shipped $539)

eBay Australia
Honda Inverter Generators - 11 offerings, 2kW model $AU1879 ($1900USD)
Yamaha Inverter Generators - 4 offerings, 2kW model $AU1980
Kipor Inverter Generators - 26 offerings, 2kW model $AU1040, 2600W $AU1265

eBay Germany

Kipor Generators - 55 offerings, 2kW model EUR 594,00 ($775USD)
Honda Eu Generator - 19 offerings, 2kW model EUR 1.350,00 ($1760USD)
Yamaha Generators - 7 offerings 2kW model EUR 1.379,00 ($1800USD)

All Honda for me... when I win the Lottery!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
lots of choices in a generator, not just kipor and Honda. I got tired of looking and needed one in a hurry so I went with the Honda. I like it, I do not use it a lot, and it was worth the difference to me to have one that should be reliable and is quiet.
I think the Honda is actually made in China also, but to Honda specs. Doing it again, I might consider getting one of the 1000 size instead, but when I made my purchase I went with the 2000 because at that time I thought I might some day want to add another for the AC. Now I am pretty sure I will never do that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Anyone use a Generac?