Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Charleston , West Virginia
Generator

We went boondocking for the first time this past week. We found out real quick a generator or invertor is a must. You can't charge the batteries with the car unless you want to run it for a couple of days. Lucky we had a friend with a generator to charge our batteries.

I have a couple of questions:

I am getting ready to purchase the Honda 2000 or the Yamaha 2400. Can I plug in the electric cord and run other items while (with the exception of the frig which I run on gas) I charge the batteries?

Should I charge the batteries direct from the generator?

Is $1,000 a good price for the Honda 2000? I found the Yamaha 2400 for $1,100, is this a good price?

We are planning to go boondocking again in a couple of weeks and want to take the correct equipment.

Thanks for your help....

2007 Safari
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings Jim-
Boondocking is one of the great joys Sandi and I have with our Safari. Having been tent campers when we are not at a rally with all our AS friends we like to find out of the way places. We have survived 5 days dry camping and we have only one battery. There are a lot of folks here on the forum who have gens for a whole bunch of reasons. What you need to do first is realize what you want when you are dry camping, TV, DVD, Coffee Maker, Micro Wave. Use the search function because I know someone had a really great list put togther of needs when running off batteries. For us, we have a nice little 1K gen for topping off the batteries if we need to.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Pretty much yes...

Welcome..

You should try the "search" tab above and type in a few words like Honda and Generator and Yamaha to see other threads, user opinions, alternatives, noise considerations, etc...

That said, either generator will run the TV and microwave and coffee maker (or Espresso machine..) WHILE charging the batteries through the power supply charger on the trailer, if you just plug the trailer's cord into the generator.. If the batteries are dead, and need a faster charge, you can get a 12V cord and try to charge them directly. What you won't get is Air Conditioning. Neither unit has enough power for kick start of A/C compressor while powering the power module and charging batteries. The Honda can be paired with another to run A/C. The Honda Eu1000 is cheaper and lighter and will charge the batteries and run a TV and microwave, but maybe not all at once...

Prices vary, but $1000 is not bad for a Honda 2000, depending on taxes, delivery, etc. Some Montana internet sellers will deliver for slightly less net...
The Yamaha is heavier, but more powerful, and slightly noisier.. Don't know about Yamaha pricing. Honda will terminate dealers who advertise discount pricing in print or on web, but some might negotiate over the phone. Yamaha still won't run A/C... Auto Parts Store/Sears Generators offer 4KW for $600, but are really noisy and heavy... If you are boondocking in hot remote areas, that might be solution for A/C, if you have no neighbors and don't mind some daytime noise.. Finally, don't plan to mount on rear bumper.. Too heavy and frame not designed for cantilevered loads back there. With some clever welding, you could make a mount on front frame..

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
I have the yamaha 1000. I used it on my 22' 2005, and now I am going to use it on my 1962 globetrotter. I had two 12volt batteries on the 22'. The yamaha charged the batteries and also ran the microwave. It is a very light and very quiet generator. I am very happy with it. It does not take up much space in the back of the car. The generator runs over 8 hours on less than a gallon of gas, if I remember correctly.
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
Rivet Get the Honda EU 2000i

I've gone boondocking several times with the Honda. It runs everything but the AC. You can run the AC unit on high fan and the vent fans as well as the fridge, TV, and microwave - just not all at the same time. The Honda is quiet enough to be approved by the National Park Service for use in park campgrounds. Most of our neighbors have remarked about how quiet our Honda is. $865 on EBay - new w/ warr. keeps the batteries topped off after only 4 hours running from a partial drain.

'86 25 ft. Sovereign
Lufletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Boondocking is great. But, at the same time we like to take plenty of showers, flush the toilet, stay cool, and cook.
Two Honda 2000 generators, an inverter, a tote tank, and, an extra 20-25 gallons of water in 5 gallon jugs will serve us well for a long weekend.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I noticed the title of this thread and couldn’t help wondering “ do you really need AC”?
I’ve got to agree with Rick on this one. We have boondocked for many days on just battery power (2 in our coach) and still had 50% juice left. Propane and batteries can last a long time if conservative. Having said that, we have never had a TV in our camper, I think we ran the AC once this summer (we had to leave the dig for a few hours and it was hot).
I have pondered buying a genset, truth is we just don’t need it. Oh yeah, our espresso machine is old school; steam it up on the stove, no electric needed. (You can find these in old hardware stores or “ethnic” food stores.) So unless you need to run AC you might want to rethink this idea…just keep your batteries fresh.

Bill
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Charleston , West Virginia
Thanks for your help. Don't need the air. We camp at 4100 feet. I have settled on the Honda 2000. Can hook two together in case we decide to boondock in hot areas.

Jim Triplett

2007 Safari
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Go with the Honda

We have a Honda 2000i and it is very quiet. That is an important consideration when you are enjoying the peace and quiet of a remote location. We have parked next to other campers with Yamahas and they are incredibly loud.

The 2000 will run everything with the exception of the AC, however, if you decide at a later date you want to use the AC, it is possible to piggyback a second Honda 2000 to your existing one and have enough juice for the AC.

The price you found for the Honda is a good one. We paid a little less than that using my son's business discount at a 'toy' store he frequents.

Mary in CT

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
$1000 is a little pricey for a Honda eu2000i. Check online with 'Mayberrys'. I paid less than $900 each for two of them...delivered.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Check with Wise Equipment ( http://www.wisesales.com ). That's where I purchased my set and they were very good to work with. I checked for a friend this summer and the EU2000i was $869 and the Parallel kit was $199, all with free shipping. I haven't seen a better price anywhere.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Don't use old tired gasoline...

Just wanted to post a warning about using old gas stored in metal or plastic jug for a year or two.. The newer gas mixes with ethanol or whatever else they put in doesn't store well for more than 6 months, even with mystery additives...

Bad gas can (will...) potentially cause problems like valves seizing and breaking.. Been there, did that... Honda warranty is good, but it's painful to test during cold rainy rally around holiday weekend...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Honda 2k

Another vote for the Honda 2k.

Just finished our 4th season without a problem. When boondocking in the Adirondacks it stores in a two-man tent from Camping World, when set up 25ft from the rig ya can hardly hear it running. The tent has kept it dry thru more than one downpour!! Also a convienent place to store other Stream'n Stuff you don't want to leave in the open. The Honda is also light enough to move into the tv for security when needed.
I have always used the ground lug with a braided copper strap, you can usually find them with an eyelet at both ends, the wire hooked end peg that came with the tent driven thru the eye into ground works great.

IT'S HARD TO MAKE A COMEBACK, IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ANYWHERE..
Old 09-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Purchased a Honda 2000 earlier this year, prior to heading out on a three week vacation. We love it. It's light weight and extremely quiet. It helps top off the batteries when the solar panel is not getting enough sun while we dry camp. Used it in the Wasatch Mountains (Salt Lake City) and the campers next to us remarked that they never heard it running.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Honda 2000 from Wise
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
We have a Honda 2000i and it is very quiet. That is an important consideration when you are enjoying the peace and quiet of a remote location. We have parked next to other campers with Yamahas and they are incredibly loud.

Mary in CT
Mary,

I am not sure what Yamaha generator you are referrring to as being "incredilbly loud", but our Yamaha 3000 is as quiet as a Honda 2000, just as all of the inverter models from Honda and Yamaha. Maybe the ones you have heard were commercial models with little or no noise suppresion. Just didn't want others to get the wrong idea, Yamaha makes generators as quiet as Honda, some believe quieter, but I am not wanting to start that debate, they are both excellent choices for generators.

John
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Thumbs up Go Honda!

Another vote for the Eu200i!. I have one and love it. It will run everything except the AC. Not really a problem unless it is the middle of the summer.
Yeah there are cheaper but I have never had a significant problem with any Honda product I have owned. I would buy thier jet if I could afford it!
Even if Honda did not manufacture the unit, they hold thier sub-contractors to a high standard.

Mine was ejected from my truck and it still works. Curious how? see my website.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Another 2000i fan

I vote for the Honda 2000i too. I have had mine for about 5 years and it still runs strong. I did have to take it in to have the carb cleaned once. This was from running old gas. I learned my lesson. I want to get a second one so i can parallel connect them to run the AC.
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have a Honda EU1000 which I use to charge the battery. It will run everything in my trailer except for the AC and my wife's hair dryer on high.
It is smaller, lighter, and just as quiet the others. I bought mine from a friend for $500 and it had less then 2 hours of use. His wife wanted to use her hair dryer on high.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Honda Generators

(1) I have used Honda's for years with no problems, till I bought the Eu2000i.
It had a bad off/on switch,had it in shop at camping world they could not fix it. Took it to another dealer he could not fix it and charged me for what time he spent on it, would not do work under warranty. Got NO help from Honda, tech rep never would call back.I unpluged switch and it now starts on first pull.take spark plug wire off to stop. So DO NOT count on Honda warranty.
(2) I have talked with 2 Yamaha 2400 owner and both sead they have to clean spark arrester every 8 hours or so of running or they stop or will not start.
(3) Never boondock where you need AC or heater if you need them your in the wrong place.