Old 02-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
I have a Honda EU-2000. It will run the AC unit if that is the only 110V draw - just barely. I did it for most of last summer in Phoenix without any problems with the AC unit.

FYI

MIke
Mike,
Is your AC unit 11,000 or a 13,500 BTU?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
btu...

It has to be an 11,000 or whatever the smallest available in 1976.

Mike

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
It has to be an 11,000 or whatever the smallest available in 1976.

Mike
I was thinking it had to be the 11,000 BTU unit.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Recently added boondocking to my 'resume'...

Hello all -

Being very new to the whole boondocking thing - just returned a mere week ago from the 1st trip!! 4CU ROCKS!!! - and have a few thought to add, if I may.

As mentioned, I have NO BD expereince and approached the trip with some trepidation. We are the 'normal' family, which means the usual things running, then add lights in the front, mid cabin and in the rear. Add the computer and maybe the micro for that late night burrito.... All this obviously would NOT be possible on batteries but not an issue for the 30A service.

Left with fully loaded (off a charger) batteries - group 27 x 2 of '03 vintage. They made it through a day and a half - with conservative usage of lights, NO micro, computer, NO Furnace, or the like - and then they were into the 50% charge range, as per the panel. Got a bit nervous about recharge and etc.... so I borrowed a 2000 from a fellow ASer (Thanks again!) and within 2 hours I was back to full steam, ala the panel. Made it for one more night, back to 50%.

Borrowed a 1000 for a couple of hours (about 3 1/2 - Thanks Richard & Jan) and all was hunkydory again. Obviously not having the personal generator I did perhaps let the batteries get a bit too low the forst go around, and so they really didn't bounce back that strongly on the recharge. But then I am still learning about this thing called Boondocking.

I AM looking into getting a 2000 for myself to encourage more of that type of camping. Enjoyed it very much as it encourages more outdoor things since the interior stuff is by definition quite a bit more limited.

All that said, there were generators, ALL Honda's all around me, in fact all over the notarally area, and they were NOT at all intrusive or bothersome. I would have NO problem being in that type environment for an extended time frame. As long as they are all Honda's...!!!

They are pricey, but they provide a terrific benefit, you can enjoy that AS anywhere!!! Priceless...!!!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I have made up my mind....I THINK?...If I want to run everything at once....boondock in the woods for a week....I am getting the HONDA EU6500is....its new...and its only two..ya two...I heard it run and
Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I have made up my mind....I THINK? ...If I want to run everything at once....boondock in the woods for a week....I am getting the HONDA EU6500is....its new...and its only two..ya two...I heard it run and its very, very quiet. I will need an extra gas can if I run the A/C a lot...but I will use it for a home back up also. Local dealer will sell me one for 3,600. They weight 256lbs...but I will mount it on a HIWAY PRODUCTS GORRILLA 2000# in the back of my pickup.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
That would be tow decibles louder than the quietest of them all...the EU3000is....gezzz...I kaint tipe.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
real strong

one of the things i like best about the eu2000 is that it weighs 45 lbs.... a 6500 weighs about 240lbs... hope you're eating your wheaties

mike

WBCCI #2417
Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Be careful

Quote:
I have a Honda EU-2000. It will run the AC unit if that is the only 110V draw - just barely. I did it for most of last summer in Phoenix without any problems with the AC unit.
Remember that even though a generator is rated for 2000 watts the manufacturer STRONGLY advises that this is not the rated load. If you exceed the rated load for the EU2000i it will void your warranty. Sure it will put out 2000 watts for a burst but it shouldn't run at that level too long or you'll burn out the unit.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Abuse protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
Remember that even though a generator is rated for 2000 watts the manufacturer STRONGLY advises that this is not the rated load. If you exceed the rated load for the EU2000i it will void your warranty. Sure it will put out 2000 watts for a burst but it shouldn't run at that level too long or you'll burn out the unit.
Mr. Streamer...
now you must know that the electronics on the EU2000 have a built in Amp probe which operates in both IHF and RMS modes. Consequently, the equipment won't destroy itself. Besides, the OEM warranty sheets make no specific mention of current draw and a form of abuse. See http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/G...f/31Z07603.pdf

regards

Mike

WBCCI #2417
Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
"Fudge" factor...?

Flitz etal -

Just wondering about generator manufacturors.... do they add in a 'fudge factor' when rating HP/ Power? Kinda like Big-Pharma "does" (or doesn't) when they rate meds.... ie possibly 2-10% over the labeled strength? Just wondering?

Axel
SilverToy
Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't think so. They are all about advertising for the most they can. The higher HP and higher amps bring higher prices. I would suspect that maybe the opposite is actually true at times, you may get less than the rated HP. That may just be the cynic (realist?) in me.
Dave
Old 03-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Generators -- in this case eu2000i's

After many months of reading everything here about generators and reading everything posted in the Yahoo group for eu2000i's I finally made a selection. I'm not saying that it's the best for anyone else, but I'd like to share my reasoning for my selection.

I love to boondock. But I live in Louisiana and Texas, and travel in the summer in the southwest in Arizona and other western states so I have! to have AC to stay in the AS in the hot summer with humidity in the high ninties. I recently upgraded my AC to a 15000 high capacity and so I needed enough power to run the AC for long periods of time in the summer. However, in the winter I don't need that much capacity.

I almost bought the new, quiet and pricey Honda eu6500is. It's very quiet and will support TWO ac's if necessary. It would be all the power I would ever need. It has the advantage of electric start and for a price one can get a remote start/stop that can be operated from inside the AS. Then I took a closer look. Gasoline consumption, as best anyone can figure, under a full AC load would be about the same as with the dual 2000's, but in the times and places where AC is not needed it is WAY overkill. Also, there is the matter of weight. Not only is the 6500 hard on the old man, it's a lot of weight on the TV.

The 3000 will not quite produce enough juice for the AC to start nor handle the other current needs so that was out.

One 2000 would adequately handle everything except AC and microwave, and the parallel system will handle it all. So I opted to buy the the two 2000's with the parallel kit. In the AC season I will use them both, and in the rest of the year I will use only one, at a considerable savings of fuel. With the small tanks the 2000's will not run the AC all night w/o refill so there is an optional auxilliary tank that can be used with both generators (summer) or one single (rest of the time). There are people who have made their own, but I decided to buy the one that was made for it. I also bought the optional 12 volt cables, and covers for them. Covers come in a light weight vinyl (useless in my opinion) and a blue or camo Sunbrella fabric. The generator that has the parallel kit attached is too large for the 2000 cover to fit, but the 3000 cover fits perfectly. I would have preferred blue, but that size is only available in camo, so that is what I got.

I looked and looked on the internet to find the best prices and narrowed it down to Hayes Equipment in Oklahoma or Wise Equipment in Illinois. Prices were very close. Wise had a better price for the "package" which included the two generators and the parallel kit (be SURE to ask for the RV parallel so you will get the RV plug and not the "home" kit that has the round twist type 30 amp plug), but Hayes had the better prices for the extras that I wanted. On price therefore, six of one and half a dozen of the other. However, Wise patiently answered all of my questions and was very! nice to me. It is a family owned business and it was a pleasure to deal with them. Hayes was not friendly. I do like to spend my money where people are nice to me, don't you?

MAKE NO MISTAKE: you can buy cheaper generators. You can buy cheaper Honda generators. But these are ideal for RVing. Very much quieter than the traditional generators (don't YOU hate to park near a loud generator?) When I boondock, I want my AS luxuries, but I don't want to ruin the peace where I am, nor make enemies of my neighbors.

Prices at Wise in case you're interested: (delivered via FedEx)

TWO generators w/ parallel kit: 1939.99
Dual feed gas can and connectors 129.99
Two covers Sunbrella 55.00
(two sizes)
DC cables 16.00

One of the considerations was that it had to be bought out of state to save the 8% sales tax, and Wise pays the shipping except for an optional $10 shipping insurance.

BTW, spec for the new Carrier 15000 high capacity:
3500 watts to start (2-5 seconds)
1632 watts to run on high

Well, undoubtedly if you are interested in a generator system you may have appreciated this, and if you not I lost you Long! ago. grin. The Honda engines have a really good reputation. I hope they deserve it!

Waynon
Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Waynon,
It sounds like you did your homework. I'd now suggest you mount an hour meter on each generator so that you get equal work out of each.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end