Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Regarding the pickup shell thing, there are many larger capacity generators that are much cheaper than the hondas, but I'm sure they are noisy as all get out. Could one build a vented box around them with insulation to cut down on the noise if one was enterprising enough. It thought about putting one in the back of my pickup (no shell) and locking it with a chain or something.

I'm sure those Honda EUs are great, but ouch, tough on the wallet

dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think Airstream, some time ago, did actually make a model that had a built in generator. It was a rare build....not too many out there. I could be wrong, but I do seem to recall seeing one owner here that had one. It's the only one I have ever seen and I believe it was factory.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I did read about the one that was installed inside the A/S, vented and safely. If I could find someone to professionaly install one, that might be an answer. Another was installed on the front on either side of the tanks.

We have SOB B now that has the generator in the body. I don't know what difference it would be installed in an A/S.

Just thinking and please don't hesitate to tell me if I am thinking wrong!

Pat
Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I think Airstream, some time ago, did actually make a model that had a built in generator. It was a rare build....not too many out there. I could be wrong, but I do seem to recall seeing one owner here that had one. It's the only one I have ever seen and I believe it was factory.
My '74 owners manual details the operation and specs for the factory installed generator. It was powered by a 1 cylinder Tecumseh propane powered engine that was remotely started from the living room using a timer up to 3 hours. It was a DC generator used for battery charging. It was made by Onan.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Have been reading about the new (?) Onan Juice Generator. It weighs 360 lbs. How much extra weight can be put on the tounge? I think that I read that nothing could be put on the back.

It is in a box that looks like a Stow-away.

Pat
Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Having any running generator turning the Airstream shell into a resonance chamber soured me on making a new compartment for a secure generator install - I was intending to use a hushed suitcase style generator but now just having a aluminum box streamlined under shell just for storage is on my wish list.

I have a Kipor 2600 watt silenced inverter that weighs in just under 60 pounds and is very quiet but when running under load will shake the ground with low frequency vibtations similar to a freight locomotive rolling by at 3mph - they attenuate the higher nuisance sounds into lower one that don't bother our ears as much...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Would a pair of Hoda 2000's handle the air conditioner in my 25 footer? I've read a couple of post where people say the are running their A/C with a single 2000 if nothing else is running. From what I've read here, this won't cut it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Would a pair of Hoda 2000's handle the air conditioner in my 25 footer? I've read a couple of post where people say the are running their A/C with a single 2000 if nothing else is running. From what I've read here, this won't cut it.
4000 watts will handle the compressor startup inrush current - 2000 watts will not cut it.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Also Pat, if I understand your proposition correctly, you will travel with the Yorkies in the Suburban and put them in the Airstream when you stop. This isn't a very good idea since, in all areas of the south, the Airstream will reach temps in the high 90's or above in the summer sun while traveling down the highway, even with windows open...hot air blowing into a hot trailer...not too cool. Anyway, the amount of time it would take to cool off the interior of even a Bambi would be longer than the hour or so that you would be in a restaurant eating lunch or at most other stops.

I have keyless entry on my crew cab truck and we leave the motor running and the A/C turned on with the doors locked while we are in a restaurant eating, etc. It keeps our cocker spaniel cool...and our seats cool...while we are away and we always give him a drink and a short walk for business purposes before we leave and after we return for his comfort and our sanity.

I think this kind of approach would be far more practical than trying to cool off the entire trailer for just a short time like an hour or two for meals or short site seeing stops along the road.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I can't find it now, but somewhere there was posted an A/S pricing invoice and it had something like 9 lbs $227 generator prep

I think it was on an 05 tt. Has anyone seen that? And, if so, what does it mean?

Pat