Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm planning to give a generator a try. I have a Honda 2500 w/pull start. It does start with 1 pull mostly ( just like my Honda mower ). It is a bit heavy. I can get it into my truck by myself but don't like to. Both of us it is pretty easy. I've not used it yet but will take it on our trip south in Feb. If needed I will run it just long enough to top the batteries off. It's too low of an wattage to run the AC but will do everything but. It should even allow me to use a small electric heater when necessary. I wouldn't have bought one this heavy but the price was RIGHT so it's what I have to work with.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm. A Honda that the EP2500? If so, that's an industrial generator as opposed to the quiet invertor series ... and it is very loud... Check this site out... Honda Power Equipment - EP2500CX1 .... click on the "generator sound level comparison" link in the grey box to the left of the page... it's a full 10 dB louder than the Honda EU2000i...

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Generators: How about what we did? We bought one 2000w Honda first a Companion model with the 30-amp plug + the adapter you need to convert the twist-n-turn 30-amp outlet on the genny to a standard 30-amp female plug ($15-ish) + the parallelling cables ($40-ish) in case a buddy has another 2000w Honda so at least one of us can have AC if needed...(and therebybecome the "party trailer")... Then about a year or 18 mo. later if you still think you need another and want to have AC ability, get the 2nd 2000W (the Regular one)...

Solar Panels: There is really only room for one solar panel on top of your 19" will go in front of the make that panel count! (Our factory panel is only can do better with an after-market installation.)
We purchased the twin Honda 2k gennys. You need >2500W to run the AC, thus the twin Hondas. To this point we haven't had to use both to run the AC. If I had it to do over again I would only buy the one 2K genny and open the windows!!!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We really like our Handi inverter. Not too loud and it has enough power to run our AC. Having said that, I still want to get some solar panels installed. I really like the idea of having our batteries recharged silently but will keep the generator for those times when we want to run the AC, the microwave oven, or when the sun decides to hide for a few days...
Scott, Becky & Heidi (our standard poodle and travel companion)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
For me, all three are redundant but necessary systems for what I think will be about half the time. I too like the idea of silent battery charging. (The idea of a second smaller panel on top of the a/c - so clever!) I think the idea of one 2000w is good and see how we get along with it (or don't). I might change the order of purchase (again) reading over all of these... *sigh*

There's also the "let's find a coffee shop" plan, too, if all else fails, and what we'll probably use on our inaugural trip...
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Most of the info I see says we need a 3k gen to run our AC's. I tried it with my 2500 and it worked marginally. If I turned the switch straight to hi it would blow the breaker. If I started on fan then to low and then to high it would run. But, after about 15 min I went to unplug it and the cord and plug were hot. Not melting hot but I suspect it would get there eventually. So, my limited electrical experience tells me to beware. I really don't plan to use it for AC anyway.

And yes TB I believe it's an industrial one. It's not all that loud but I hope not to need it in populated areas. And then, again I hope, to only need it for short periods to keep the batteries up. Haven't used it yet so the first time will begin the expermenting. Not like I need to run it all night to run medical equip. ( Thankfully, at least not yet that is)

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote