Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Generac iX 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator

Has anyone had any experience with the Generac iX 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator?
Model# 5793
  • Max Watts : 2200
  • Running Watts: 2000
  • Engine SIze : 126CC
  • Engine Type : 4-Stroke OHV
  • Starting Method : Manual
  • Outlets : 2x5-20R 1X 12VDC
  • Circuit Breaker Protection : Yes
  • Indicator Lights : Yes
  • Low Oil Shutdown : Yes
  • Flex Power : Yes
  • Fuel Tank Size : 1.0 Gal
  • Run time @ 50 percent load : 4.7 hrs
  • Handle : Integrated
  • First Oil Included : Yes
  • Emissions certified : 49 States
  • Warranty : 2 Limited Residential ; 6 Month Limited Commercial
  • Dimensions : 22x12x18
  • Weight : 49.6 Lbs
I want something that others won't find to be too loud and something that is of decent quality ... but I'm struggling to justify the price difference between the Generac generator versus the Honda and Yamaha generators. Your thoughts and input are most appreciated.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't see a decibel rating in those specs. If it was quiet, they would tell you so.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
This may not be what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the Generac iX 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator?
Model# 5793

I want something that others won't find to be too loud and something that is of decent quality ... but I'm struggling to justify the price difference between the Generac generator versus the Honda and Yamaha generators. Your thoughts and input are most appreciated.

Hi, many of us [including me] had similar thoughts about generators as you, but some have found out that the cheaper models have no real warranty [parts without labor] and parts are almost non-existant. Some copy cats claim that you can use Honda parts, but they won't fit or work. These copy cat generators are also louder. The only plus I can think about is that if it is stolen, you lost less money.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have looked at several sites that provided all the specs for the Generac 2000. None specify the decibel output while running. I would want to hear it run before buying.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
This ad says 64 db - "comparable" to the Honda. I'd spend the extra for the Honda, and know for sure what I'm getting. In fact, after seeing how well the EU2000i performed for three straight days during the recent blizzard, I just bought a Companion.

Generac Power Systems 5793 IX Series 2000W InverterGenerator
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The Honda EU200i is rated at 59dB at full load, 53 at 1/4 load. The Generac is 64dB - but is that full or 1/4 load? It's at least 5dB louder, maybe as much as 11dB.

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level:
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
The first question you need to ask is how much power do you need? If 900 watts will met your needs (enough for a small microwave or battery charging) look at the Honda or Yamaha 1000.

I decided on the Yamaha for my small generator because it's lower dB rating, 47-57, noticably quieter in the campgrounds then the ubiquitous Honda 1000 and 2000's. About $750
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I noticed on the Generac web site that it had a "flex power" feature, hi or lo. The Honda has the "eco-throttle" that is load specific. I would suspect the Honda would be much quieter and also that the engine in the generac is made by ?. A gen is only as good as the engine and my experience with Honda engines is that they run forever with just reasonable attention. An the start with ease.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The Honda EU200i is rated at 59dB at full load, 53 at 1/4 load. The Generac is 64dB - but is that full or 1/4 load? It's at least 5dB louder, maybe as much as 11dB.

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level:
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB
I wonder what loud means in this table? A db is a mathematical relationship ship between two quantities. This table attempts to express this in qualitative terms.

The blue font is a quote:

"For instance, suppose we have two loudspeakers, the first playing a sound with power P1, and another playing a louder version of the same sound with power P2, but everything else (how far away, frequency) kept the same.

The difference in decibels between the two is defined to be
10 log (P2/P1) dB where the log is to base 10.

If there are two sounds sources and the second produces twice as much power than the first, the difference in dB is: 10 log (P2/P1) = 10 log 2 = 3 dB."

It sure seems to me that twice the power out to be more than barely perceptible.

Is my logic going wrong somewhere?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think Id stay with Honda or Yamaha. This may be a relatively new Chinese engine. Not sure. I have not seen this one yet. I have worked on Generac engines and parts can be a problem.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
A sincere "Thank You" to each of you for your input and thoughts. I needed your thoughts on this subject to help me justlify the extra $$$. I'm convinced ... now I guess I need start my search to find the best deal on a Honda or Yamaha. I think I need at least the 2000 because I'll need it to power more appliances ... I assume it will power an Air Conditioner if nothing else is running????
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The man in the suit prefers Hondas

Quote:
... I think I need at least the 2000 because I'll need it to power more appliances ... I assume it will power an Air Conditioner if nothing else is running????
Mike,

I think you have received good advice on brand-name selection. Unfortunately, a 2000 watt generator will not run most air conditioners.

While you will find a bedazzling number of threads on this forum about what is best, the man in the suit suggested I point you to this particular web page for more insight.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Our 2000i Honda will do the microwave, but NOT the AC!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
The man in the suit prefers Hondas

TomW ... thanks so much to you and The Man in the Suit for the advice (every time I see the photos of him in his suits it brings a smile to my face). Especially seeing him all decked out ready to camp.

I decided this afternoon that if we are boondocking ... then who needs air conditioning, right? As long I have some water to shower ... So I opted for the 2000 Watt.

The generator overview you wrote is very helpful ... and entertaining to read. I called everywhere today, googled websites, etc. I found a local Yamaha dealership that offered me the best price I found anywhere ... so tomorrow I pick it up. Now I'm going to be figuring out how to run this piece of equipment. Wish me luck!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yea for you! Power up! Camp on! You'll love it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Sound level on Generac iX2000

I sent a note to Generac yesterday and received the following reply:

Good morning,
Thank you for contacting Generac Power Systems.

Unfortunately, we do not list the decibel rating of our portable generators. Testing for portable units is not subject to a standard distance of measurement or protocol; therefore, any printed results can be misleading or inaccurate. I can however share with you that amazon.com did their own independent testing of our ix2000. They reported a db level of 64, which was comparable to the Honda EU. Again, this is not Generac’s testing of the unit since we do not publish that information, but it might give you a little more of an idea.

Again, thank you for contacting Generac Power Systems, Inc. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further questions.

MacKenzie

Customer Support
Generac Power Systems, Inc.
888-436-3722
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Generac engines

I see on the Company website that their engines are made in Wisconsin. I would assume that this also applies to the ones in the portables.

The best price I find on the 2000 watt model is at Cabelas: $580.00.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16595 View Post
I sent a note to Generac yesterday and received the following reply:

Good morning,
Thank you for contacting Generac Power Systems.

Unfortunately, we do not list the decibel rating of our portable generators. Testing for portable units is not subject to a standard distance of measurement or protocol; therefore, any printed results can be misleading or inaccurate. I can however share with you that amazon.com did their own independent testing of our ix2000. They reported a db level of 64, which was comparable to the Honda EU. Again, this is not Generac’s testing of the unit since we do not publish that information, but it might give you a little more of an idea.

Again, thank you for contacting Generac Power Systems, Inc. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further questions.

MacKenzie

Customer Support
Generac Power Systems, Inc.
888-436-3722
Hmmm. They won't tell you but will let Amazon.com tell you? That's odd. If Amazon.com cam make a judgment as to sound level, seems their own engineers ought to be able do the same and make it an official part of their spec's....just sayin'
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Model# 5793
Something you might want to take into consideration before you buy brand name use type. Generac has been making generators long before Honda, Yamaha, and have a real good reputation for long lasting products. Generac started out as a commercial use generator company.
As far noise most of the time you can change out the muffler and get that lower db, other things is enclosures with breathing vents will also quite all of them down and provide a secure place at the same time.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #20

Northern , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up My experience with this generator

Greetings all,

I work with gensets quite a bit and after reading this thread, I felt it was important enough to join the forum to offer my comments despite that I do not own an Airstream (I own a Keystone RV; sorry!)

Generac builds good products. Their pre-Y2K products were even better than post Y2K stuff. It seems that ramping up production to meet Y2K demands had them cutting corners where allowed. Still, their sets were good but not as good as Gillette, Winco, Onan, and Kohler. The Generac engine is labeled Wisconsin however they are mfg'd in Nagano, Japan and assembled in Wisconsin. Their branded Generac OHVI engines are essentially Honda GX clones designed to operate for 3000 hrs or longer as compared to B&S/Tecumseh similar models that last several hundred to 1000 hrs. Generac OHVI use full pressure lubrication and can be easily maintained and rebuilt if needed. Generac parts are widely supported in the USA. So rest easy in your decision making because any device powered by a Generac OHVI (I=Industrial) engine is just as much a winner as one powered from the Honda GX line.

Now on to the gensets themselves:
I have used the Generac iX2000 genset and it is a bit louder than it's Honda EU2000i counterpart although it's still relatively quiet. Quality seems to be on par with the Honda. As for noise levels, as mentioned they can be misleading. It's important to consider the distance the measurement was taken at. Honda typically measures at 7meters (approx 21ft) and the EU2000i noise level is 59 dB @ rated load and 53dB @ 1/4 load... noticably less than the Generac model. At a campground once, I chatted at normal voice level while a EU2000i was operating in eco-mode... impressive!

IMHO, the extra cost of the Honda EU2000i justifies the extra features over the Generac model. The Honda can be paralleled to a mate unit, gets much better fuel economy, provides external circuit breakers, is about 3lbs. lighter, and has 3yr. warranty vs. Generac's 2 yr.

Summary: The Generac is a well built, cost competitive genset that appears to be reliable for its intended use. The Honda, being more costly, provides slightly higher specs. and a longer warranty while carrying the famous reliability synonymous to Honda.
If noise level is not an issue, you cannot beat the Gillette, Winco/Dyna, Onan, or Kohler brands. However, if you should opt for one of the aforementioned brands, please don't camp near me!
HiTech is offline   Reply With Quote