Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Our GenConnex-modified EU2000i Companion came today. It's a beautiful thing. All we had to do was add oil, which they also provided, connect up to the Airstream's low-pressure port for propane and start it. First time took three pulls, second time only two. Smooth clean relatively quiet power, and the provided 30 amp adapter with neutral-ground bonding made the GFCI circuits happy. I made an un-boxing / setup video. Once I get it edited, I'll post that to our blog and share a link here.

As of now we'd definitely buy from these guys again, highly recommended.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went with Genconnex Honda and ordered last Sunday. Decided just to get the base Honda 2000 with 6ft hose/regulator since I don't have a low pressure port and didn't need that hose in their packages. I may purchase the ground adapter from Progressive Dynamic or make my own. I'll purchase my own Mobile 1 oil and funnel. I've purchased a new 20lb tank to use with the generator and our propane campfire. I don't expect to use the generator all that much hence getting a propane version. Didn't want to mess with gasoline and the maintenance to store the generator when not in use.

Kelvin
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I forget what you said about the Honda OEM warranty on your own thread, but does the propane conversion void the Honda warranty? I know you get a separate warranty from GenConnex, but does this new warranty include the generator itself, or just the conversion work?

Honda generators are very reliable for sure [I have a 3500 and 2000], and rarely fail, but losing the Honda OEM warranty would seem to be a heavy price to pay, especially if we are talking about 2 units.

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Our GenConnex-modified EU2000i Companion came today. It's a beautiful thing. All we had to do was add oil, which they also provided, connect up to the Airstream's low-pressure port for propane and start it. First time took three pulls, second time only two. Smooth clean relatively quiet power, and the provided 30 amp adapter with neutral-ground bonding made the GFCI circuits happy. I made an un-boxing / setup video. Once I get it edited, I'll post that to our blog and share a link here.

As of now we'd definitely buy from these guys again, highly recommended.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #24

For specifics on how the warranty works, I'd recommend communicating directly with GenConnex.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
For specifics on how the warranty works, I'd recommend communicating directly with GenConnex.
Thanks, however, now that you have received your new gen, I was hoping you might chime in on the warranty issue as you understand it, in order that others reading this thread can weigh the Honda warranty vs. the Yamaha warranty discussed in the other thread. [see quote below -- click on arrow to go there. Jack Canavera also weighs in at the beginning and end of that thread.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Do the genconnex packages keep the OEM Honda warranty intact, like US Carb does for the Yamaha units? [see Post #10 for links re: our Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel]

At the bottom of the genconnex page linked earlier is this: "Please note we are not a Honda dealer and do not service gasoline generators." At the top this page, it refers to a limited warranty for 3 years, but does this include the gasoline generator, or just genconnex's conversion work?

If the propane modification voids the Honda warranty, what happens if the generator itself breaks down and needs repair?

PS -- US Carb has a new website: http://www.motorsnorkel.com/

Here is the 2000: http://www.motorsnorkel.com/yamaha-e...line-only.html

PS2 -- Post #5 here contains further info. about the US Carb and Yamaha warranty.

The following thread contains further information about the Yamaha tri-fuel gens order by some of us:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html
Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #26

Well, there's this, from the GenConnex owner's manual, under the heading "GenConnex Generator Warranty":
"These products are warranted for 3 years or 1000hrs hours, whichever comes first, from defects in material and workmanship for its intended use. The Warranty starts from your shipment arrival date from us or one of our approved resellers, and is non-transferable except when buying for the U.S. Government. We reserve the right to deny warranty claims
when, in our sole but reasonable determination conclude that the cause of the primary failure was due to misuse and neglect (including but not limited to flood, sand & debris filled, impact with vehicle or heavy object, etc). This warranty is applicable only to the items purchased.

"We disclaim any responsibility for loss of time or use of the product, transportation, commercial loss, or any other incidental or consequential damage. Any implied warranties are limited to the duration of this written limited warranty.
We will either repair or replace with like-kind unit, or issue a refund based on the pro-rata remaining term of the warranty period, within 30 days of receipt of the unit or goods. We will pay shipping costs within the continental 48 states to and back from our repair facility if you call first to get a pre-paid shipping label sent to you by us."
There's also this: http://www.genconnexdirect.net/warranty_return.htm

I hope that helps.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. Not sure that clears up anything . . . but it is not that important right now.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #28

It's my understanding the GenConnex mod does void the Honda warranty. So the only warranty on a GenConnex-modified Honda generator is from GenConnex. Maybe that helps?

Anyway, at the moment, we're extremely pleased with ours.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #29

Posted our unboxing / setup video here: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog-As...deos/i-8NPvBvs

Old 07-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Posted our unboxing / setup video here: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog-As...deos/i-8NPvBvs
Hi, great video. I have two comments. The neutral bonding adapter, is this like a bootleg ground, or what they call a fake ground? My generator shows no ground on my polarity tester. Also, I know you only did it for a short time and I have accidentally done it to my Micro-wave, but they say to never turn them on with nothing in them. Could possibly damage the micro-wave oven.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Wouldn't a tri fuel mod void the Honda warranty too?

Nice to read GenConnex pays for warranty shipping.

Kelvin
Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Wouldn't a tri fuel mod void the Honda warranty too?

Nice to read GenConnex pays for warranty shipping.

Kelvin
See Post #28.

Thanks Rocinante for the video and follow up.

Peter
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for the excellent video. Nice having the low pressure port and the 30amp connector in the front of the Airstream.

My GenConnex Honda 2000 is due next Wednesday. I went with the Honda 2000 with the two 20amp plugs as the RV2 kit was $250 more and I don't have a low pressure port. I'll make my own NG plug and use it in one 20amp receptacle and plug my 30amp with 15 amp pigtail in the other 20amp receptacle.

I'll power the generator from a 20lb LP bottle or hook it up to one of my 30lb tanks using the supplied 6ft regulator/hose.

Kelvin
Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #34

GenConneX Propane Conversion for Honda EU2000i

You're most welcome on the video, glad it was helpful. I need to put up a blog post to go with it, but this was the quickest way to share.

Your solution sounds perfect. As I understand, It's not particularly difficult to make an NG plug and with only one generator we can't really pull more than 20 amps anyway.

BTW, we're dry camping this weekend and our generator is turning in an excellent hassle-free performance.

Wish I could say the same for our pair of stock flooded group 24 batteries. May have to replace them as they seem unwilling to hold a charge of more than 12.5 volts. By morning, down to 12.1 - 12.2, which seems lame as the charts I read say healthy batteries fully charged should read 12.75 volts and that 12.1 is 50% charge. Given we started our trip yesterday morning with what should have been full batteries, drove here, shut the generator off at 9:00pm after charging for several hours via our PD4655 converter, and then ran nothing more than the fridge on propane, a Fantastic Fan on low, and a couple of LED lights before going to bed, it seems a pretty disappointing performance. We convinced our dealer replace them early last year under warranty, but I'm still not feeling the love from these batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Thanks for the excellent video. Nice having the low pressure port and the 30amp connector in the front of the Airstream.

My GenConnex Honda 2000 is due next Wednesday. I went with the Honda 2000 with the two 20amp plugs as the RV2 kit was $250 more and I don't have a low pressure port. I'll make my own NG plug and use it in one 20amp receptacle and plug my 30amp with 15 amp pigtail in the other 20amp receptacle.

I'll power the generator from a 20lb LP bottle or hook it up to one of my 30lb tanks using the supplied 6ft regulator/hose.

Kelvin

Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Modified our pair of 2000 watt Honda generators with the GenConneX conversion this spring (2016). The warranty expired a long time ago as they were acquired in 2013 for the first trailer (2013 25FB International Serenity).

Extremely happy with their performance and no longer have to carry gasoline inside the tow vehicles as both tow vehicles have diesel motors.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
It's my understanding the GenConnex mod does void the Honda warranty.
Modifying your Honda Generator to run on propane will NOT void the original, 36-month Honda factory warranty. But, there are some things to keep in mind:

(1) Let's say you converted an EU2000i to run on propane. A month into the warranty period, the recoil starter gets jammed up, and some internal springs and claws failed. The failure of the starter has no relation to the conversion project. Provided the dealer determines the failed starter was defective, Honda's warranty would pay for new one to be installed.

(2) Same situation, an EU2000i converted to propane. But, this time, the problem is a burnt exhaust valve and cooked exhaust valve guide. Due to the higher combustion temps associated with propane, the failed valve was likely due to the conversion. Honda would decline to pay for repairs, as the failure was NOT due to a defective part.

(3) While were on the subject of gasoline--->propane conversions: Honda generators are certified by federal EPA and California ARB to run ONLY on regular unleaded gasoline. Conversion to a propane or natural gas without an approved lab re-certifying emissions compliance is considered 'tampering' and is a violation of EPA and California ARB regulations.

Don't be fooled by conversion companies that claim their kits are "EPA approved." What that really means is the loose PARTS sitting in the kit box are individually approved by the EPA for use on small gasoline/propane/LNG engines, but then installing them on an engine/generator does not automatically make it 'legal' and is, in fact, still considering tampering. Without having an approved lab re-certify the converted unit, it remains in violation of EPA regulations. Now this doesn't mean an EPA enforcement officer is going to come by your house and write you a ticket, of course, but just be aware of the rules.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Looks really nice. I wanted the benefit of tri-fuel so I used the US Carburetor solution with the Yamaha gen. While I bought my gen to work on the high pressure side of my Airstream (it has no low pressure outlet), I do plan to make this generator a big part of keeping my critical circuits powered at home. I already have a quick disconnect natural gas line that I use for my BBQ grill out on the deck, so running at home will eventually be natural gas powered.

What was interesting was to see the transfer switch set components that are also shown on GenConneX's web site. I was in a quandary as to how much a local electrician would hit me for the components but GenConneS seems to have it all in order. I think I'll look into getting the small transfer switch unit from them (switch1). Then it's just a matter of getting the outside outlet on the deck and the connecting wiring between the outlet and the switch. http://www.genconnexdirect.net/gener...r_switches.htm

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
According to the GenConnex website regarding EPA Certified (Enough Protection Already)

Are your products EPA Certified? Yes, all of our kits and converted generators have been tested as new generators or kits to be installed in specific generators (our EPA manufacturing designation is NEG) and approved by the EPA for sale as kits and converted new generators. The regulation for small non-road spark-ignition engines and equipment kits and generators is CFR Title 40, Chapter I, Subchapter U, Part 1054 found HERE. kits are addressed specifically in Part 1054.645 found HERE, The testing required for certification is per Part 1065 “Calculations, equipment & data” found HERE, and a new mandatory bond starting at $25,000.00 must be posted by all manufacturers of generators, kits and accessories intended for modifying any fuel system in any way. And yes, this process is very expensive, can take up to a year to complete and is required for each generator class.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Received my GenConneX Honda 2000 yesterday. Just have to buy the oil. I purchased a new 20lb tank and got it purged and filled this morning. I'm going to make a NG plug. I'll try it out this weekend on the trailer.

Rocinante's package included the Honda 2000 companion with the 30amp plugs, mine is the 20amp plug model.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #40

Sounds great, looking forward to your progress report!

As a point of reference for readers who may wonder about NG plugs for generators like this one: http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/