Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Wow! That is an expensive conversion. I think I paid $99 for mine, from a company in WVA, many years ago. (2006)

I have run my A/C with two Honda EU2000i's, one on gas, and one on propane. I had an RV size 34 gallon tank in the back of my pickup, at the time, and the Honda on propane ran continuous for 3 days.

Prior to the conversion, it ran almost continuously after Hurricane Frances, for almost 7 days. That prompted me to do the conversion.

You do lose some portability, having to drag an extra tank, but it's worth it in my opinion. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yes, even the kit is expensive, but I prefer the design over the kits that mount regulators along the side of the case. I imagine this little Honda will last for many years, if my 1994 Honda lawnmower is any indication.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #43
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Exactly - we didn't want to deal with the big silver thing bolted onto the outside of the generator and since we don't want gasoline anyway this was a great find. I'm willing to pay a bit more for the engineering innovation that provides a simple, elegant, neatly packaged solution, vs. something that looks and feels like a kludge - even though the kludge works just fine. Others feel differently, and that's also fine.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Search Bootleg Ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As a point of reference for readers who may wonder about NG plugs for generators like this one: http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/

Hi, the reason I asked about this neutral bonding adapter is because of what I read about Bootleg Grounds for houses. [do a search on "Bootleg Ground"] It's virtually the same thing. A Bootleg Ground connects the Neutral terminal to the ground terminal. Three problems: (1.) You now have a hot Ground. (2.) A Bootleg Ground won't trip a GFCI. (3.) If you, somehow, get an open to the neutral connection, the power will go directly to the ground, and you could be electrocuted.

Wikipedia and a few other sites show and tell about this dangerous, and illegal, practice.

Any electricians out there who could chime in on this topic?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the reason I asked about this neutral bonding adapter is because of what I read about Bootleg Grounds for houses. [do a search on "Bootleg Ground"] It's virtually the same thing. A Bootleg Ground connects the Neutral terminal to the ground terminal. Three problems: (1.) You now have a hot Ground. (2.) A Bootleg Ground won't trip a GFCI. (3.) If you, somehow, get an open to the neutral connection, the power will go directly to the ground, and you could be electrocuted.

Wikipedia and a few other sites show and tell about this dangerous, and illegal, practice.

Any electricians out there who could chime in on this topic?
Bob,

I think....(which in itself may be a mistake), that when using your genset to power your house thru the panel the G/N is done thru the transfer switch.

Could be rong?...need 'lectrician, conformation.

Bob
Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I don't anticipate being a heavy user of my new GenConneX Honda but if I were using it everyday the gas option could be more flexible. Still propane is available widely and I don't have to worry about draining the carbeurator and fuel tank at the end of the season, ethanol gas issues and having to use a stabilizer. Won't have to worry about storing gas and having its shelf life expire.

Natural gas might be useful in hurricane areas but you can always stock up on propane. For me I'd have my two 30lb bottle from the Airstream, a 20lb bottle and a 5lb bottle but then I don't live in a hurricane area.

Purchased the oil today and a 15amp hinged plug. I have an old extension cord with one end missing so I cut a section off and took one of the wires to join the neutral and ground together to make a N/G plug ($5). Tomorrow the oil goes in and I'll test it out on the trailer in storage.

Kelvin
Old 07-31-2016, 01:45 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
With the aluminum body shell, the Airstream skin is an excellent conductor of electricity, sort of like the steel decks on the Navy ships I was on a few years ago...

The grounding issue is well worth the conversation as most of us do not drive an eight or ten foot grounding rod into the ground every time we hook up to power in an RV park or use our generator set in the woods.

For the GFI outlets in the kitchen, bathroom area and outside to function properly, a good ground is necessary.

Still learning by reading.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I got my GenConneX Honda 2000 running for the first time. I should've waited when I wasn't so tired and hot at the end of a muggy day. I filled it too much miscalculating where the level of the oil should be in the bottle for 13oz used. Oh, well. Luckily that bottom plate has holes to help drain spilage and I was able to mop out the excess inside the generator. Started after 3 pulls. The N/G plug worked and testing without and with using my test plug verified the open ground without and normal reading with the N/G plug in one of the 20amp receptacles. Ran it for about 1/2 hour connected to the Airstream 30amp cord. Tested Eco to full run by turning on the microwave. I just turned off the propane bottle and it turned off after 10 seconds then flipped the switch to off.

Kelvin
Old 07-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Oil spill....

Kelvin,

Check out this ebay store for some nice Honda Genset accessories.

Bob
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Kelvin,

Check out this ebay store for some nice Honda Genset accessories.

Bob
Hi, my Yamaha came with one quart of oil; First thought was to pour the whole thing in. Glad that I didn't. I hate cleaning up spilled oil.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The oil change extender seems a worthwhile purchase for me

Instructions call for an oil change after 20 hours of run time. I'll probably change it out at the beginning of next season.

Kelvin
Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #52

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I haven't run my generator yet with the Airstream to test this but if you plug in one of those lighted circuit tester plugs into an outlet when running on an ungrounded generator, will you show an open ground condition? I have an earth ground terminal on the generator, although from what I'm hearing a small earth ground rod is most likely marginal dependent upon soil conditions. So what do you need to do to make a good ground? Any way to measure to see how good the ground is?

It scares me that technically I could be creating a hazardous situation.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have a circuit tester plug and it will show and open ground. I just purchased a yellow 15 plug that hinges open and connected the neutral and ground connectors with a piece of wire. When plugged into the 2nd generator 20amp receptacle the tester in the other receptacle shows normal.

Kelvin
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
In Glacier Natl Park. After the 4th day of running the generator it would no longer start. Seem to be not getting propane. I discovered where they screwed the quick connect fitting onto the female hose connector they tightened it to much, splitting the female hose connector. Had to purchase a Mr Heater assembled propane regulator/hose/quick connector. Luckily it works fine and is a 12ft hose. I'll contact GenConnex about a hose replacement when I get home. Weather has been inconsistent and solar is not reliable. Glad to have the generator.

Kelvin
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #55
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
GenConneX Propane Conversion for Honda EU2000i

Thanks for sharing your experience, so glad it was an easy fix. We used our GenConnex Honda Eu2000i a couple of weeks ago while dry camping, and it worked just great. Super glad to have it, as our 150 watt solar panel and pair of group 24 batteries are wildly insufficient, on their own, unless we're camped in full sun and hardly running anything more than the fridge (on propane).

Our panel does a stellar job of taking care of the batteries while it's parked/stored under the open sky, but it just can't keep up with any reasonable amount of usage. A majorly upgraded solar / battery system is on our list for the future, when we're once again camping more than we're working.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We've been off the road a couple weeks with the camper in storage. I'll be heading to the storage yard with ours to charge the batteries a bit before heading out this weekend. I was thrilled after having been coached through the conversion (we did it ourselves with their kit) that the two 2000s ran the AC just fine!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
InI'll contact GenConnex about a hose replacement when I get home. Weather has been inconsistent and solar is not reliable. Glad to have the generator.

Kelvin
Sent GenConnex and email with an attached photos and they have shipped me a new host/regulator. They didn't have any quick connects but I can use the one from the original hose, its not damaged. This indicates to me they perform assembly on the hoses and someone cranked too hard on the coupler. I'm going to use some plumbers tape on the threads.

I took a full 20lb bottle and we used the generator most days at Glacier during generator hours and I shared it with my in-laws. The 20lb tank feels like its more than 1/2 full buy weight. It was nice not to have to worry about storing extra gasoline for the generator and having to refill the small gas tank periodically. I kept the generator under the rear end of my truck cabled to the axle along with the propane tank that way I could run it while it rained. It was pretty much out of site to passer bys.

Kelvin