Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to synapticon
Concern about conversion to propane

Is there a concern of the higher ignition temperature of propane (920-1020 F) vs. gasoline(475-536 F)? Apparently these conversions are not recommended by any manufacturer and can void the warranty. Does it damage the engine?
__________________

__________________
synapticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapticon View Post
Is there a concern of the higher ignition temperature of propane (920-1020 F) vs. gasoline(475-536 F)? Apparently these conversions are not recommended by any manufacturer and can void the warranty. Does it damage the engine?
No...

1. Storability,*Propane does not go bad and can be stored indefinitely. Modern gasoline, on the other hand, has a shelf life of only a month or two without stability additives, and even then cannot often be stored longer than six months before degrading.

2. Cleanliness,*Propane is not spilled like gasoline when refueling. It is estimated that Americans spill 17 million gallons of gasoline each year refueling small engines. This represents an environmental hazard as well as a safety hazard, since hot engine parts can cause spilled gasoline to catch fire.

3. Reduced Emissions, Propane burns much more efficiently (around 90-95% efficient) than gasoline and produces less carbon monoxide and other greenhouse gases. Propane does not evaporate like gasoline, so the evaporative emissions are reduced as well.

4. Extended Engine Life,*Propane has less BTUs of energy per unit than gasoline.*While this means that it takes more propane than gasoline to power an engine, the advantages are that less energy is wasted in combustion of propane. Engines run on propane run cooler, which means less stress on internal engine parts and extended engine life.

5. Extended Service Intervals,*Propane does not gum up over time like gasoline, because it is a gaseous and not a liquid fuel,*so carburetor problems are not an issue. Propane combustion does not produce excess carbon and gunk like gasoline, and so propane engines typically have a longer interval between oil changes.

6. Portability, *Propane in the disposable cylinders is easier to transport than gasoline.

7. Adaptability, Mixture adjustment, altitude compensation.

Nine years & counting...



Bob
__________________

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to synapticon
If all your points are true, and I'm in agreement on these, why does a conversion void the warranty and why don't Honda and Yamaha offer conversion kits? Seems like a no-brainer with the advantages of propane. Odd that this point hasn't surfaced in this forum. In the Q&A at Power Equipment Direct they give a lengthy warning implying engine damage. Clearly you haven't experienced this damage. Maybe it's a CYA statement where they are concerned with "certification" for emissions compliance.
__________________
synapticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:55 AM   #18
59' Globester
 
twolanehwy's Avatar
 
1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
san francisco , California
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No...

1. Storability,*Propane does not go bad and can be stored indefinitely. Modern gasoline, on the other hand, has a shelf life of only a month or two without stability additives, and even then cannot often be stored longer than six months before degrading.

2. Cleanliness,*Propane is not spilled like gasoline when refueling. It is estimated that Americans spill 17 million gallons of gasoline each year refueling small engines. This represents an environmental hazard as well as a safety hazard, since hot engine parts can cause spilled gasoline to catch fire.

3. Reduced Emissions, Propane burns much more efficiently (around 90-95% efficient) than gasoline and produces less carbon monoxide and other greenhouse gases. Propane does not evaporate like gasoline, so the evaporative emissions are reduced as well.

4. Extended Engine Life,*Propane has less BTUs of energy per unit than gasoline.*While this means that it takes more propane than gasoline to power an engine, the advantages are that less energy is wasted in combustion of propane. Engines run on propane run cooler, which means less stress on internal engine parts and extended engine life.

5. Extended Service Intervals,*Propane does not gum up over time like gasoline, because it is a gaseous and not a liquid fuel,*so carburetor problems are not an issue. Propane combustion does not produce excess carbon and gunk like gasoline, and so propane engines typically have a longer interval between oil changes.

6. Portability, *Propane in the disposable cylinders is easier to transport than gasoline.

7. Adaptability, Mixture adjustment, altitude compensation.

Nine years & counting...



Bob
hey Bob, got any close up shots o your mounting??
use two holes and spacers?
Does your line to tank have a regulator to step down pressure?
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
I did the GenConneX propane only conversion of both of our Honda 2000 watt generators. The entire conversion is installed inside the case of the generator so there are no new external parts to get broken off the unit. They both started on the first pull after the assembly process.

We can carry one generator unit inside the Mercedes when towing the 23D and have no gasoline fumes inside the car from a gasoline can or the generator gas tank. I have the choice of carrying my spare 20 or 30 pounds propane tank, or on a short trip, just connect to the front propane outlet on the hitch (of either) trailer. We have their special regulator with two hoses to be able to run both units off of the 30 pound propane tank when taking the truck and Classic.

The first conversion took me about 90 minutes as I double checked each step. The second took about 45 minutes as I was familiar with the process.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolanehwy View Post
hey Bob, got any close up shots o your mounting??
use two holes and spacers?

Yes..three mounts & spacers w/washers..two on top, one on the bottom.


Better pic of the lower mount...POI...the foam doughnut keeps the dirt out


Does your line to tank have a regulator to step down pressure?
Yep..


Storage...



Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,135
Images: 33
The Yamaha conversions performed by USCarburators does not void the three year Yamaha warranty according to USC because they are licensed by Yamaha to do the work. I just got off the phone with them to verify this. I am looking at their EF24iSHX YAMAHA GENERATOR converted unit. Price is basically the cost of the generator plus $185 for the installed kit. Free shipping and no tax. Interesting info, they say run the new generator for a minimum of two hours on gas before using propane. I was hoping to totally avoid using gas at all.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6,350
Thanks for this info. Michael. Here is the Yamaha 1000 available complete for $1071.19.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef1000is.htm

Comparison of the 1000 vs. 2000:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ge...20091d7ca01773

We are considering the 1000 for our FC20 to save on weight (27.9 lbs. vs. 44.1 lbs.). Its only function would be to keep the batteries topped off (7.5 Amps rated AC current).

Thanks again,

Peter

PS -- I will also post this in the following Honda 1000 vs. 2000 thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html
__________________

__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Transporting gasoline for generator,where, Suburban and AS, no open truck. airdreamers On The Road... 37 11-03-2014 10:33 AM
Gasoline Can For Generator Fuel PARKS1963 Generators & Solar Power 9 08-12-2006 09:14 PM
Gasoline prices myoung Dollars & Cents 5 02-09-2006 08:47 AM
gasoline smell after fill-up Astrodokk General Motorhome Topics 2 10-19-2004 05:54 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.