Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Follow up on 2 Honda 2k's

Based on the ideas of a prev thread and some pm's, I got the 2 Honda 2k's. This week I'm doing a shakedown cruise and I found that one gen by itself will not carry the AC , some lights and the the reefer unit. With the 2 running however, everything is fine and you could hang meat in my FC23FB.

On the down side. The companion has a 30 amp outlet, but it is not a 30 amp RV plug, rather it is the one with 3 spades, one of which has a little 90 degree bend. Can anyone tell me why we have 2 different 30 amp plugs? Is it just that we then need to buy a PIA adapter? Has anyone tried changing that output plug to a RV type?

I think the next item is going to be one of the extended fuel tank systems, anyone care to comment on those?
Snedwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Sounds like a standard household socket, if the size of the box is a standard household box, should be easy to put the socket on the generator. But it might be 230 so watch out, rv is 120.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Logan , New Mexico
Honda Generators

I purchased 2 Honda 2000 watt generators. I bought them from Northern Tool (NT). NT also offered an RV Kit that bolted onto one unit. The bolt on has a female recepticle for your 30 amp RV plug, a voltage gauge and on/off line switches and lines to hook both units together. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda Gen.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	103643  
Dodge 2500 Diesel-Tow Vehicle
Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Your Honda Companion comes with an 30 amp L5 Locking plug (female). Your RV cord has an R32U plug (male). You need an adapter plug so you can use your generator to power your trailer. Camping World and other dealers sell these plugs. No problem.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
Based on the ideas of a prev thread and some pm's, I got the 2 Honda 2k's. This week I'm doing a shakedown cruise and I found that one gen by itself will not carry the AC , some lights and the the reefer unit. With the 2 running however, everything is fine and you could hang meat in my FC23FB.

On the down side. The companion has a 30 amp outlet, but it is not a 30 amp RV plug, rather it is the one with 3 spades, one of which has a little 90 degree bend. Can anyone tell me why we have 2 different 30 amp plugs? Is it just that we then need to buy a PIA adapter? Has anyone tried changing that output plug to a RV type?

I think the next item is going to be one of the extended fuel tank systems, anyone care to comment on those?
Since you asked about the extended run fuel tank, I will share my experience with you. I recently purchased a system from Wise.sales. It was made by Duration Power. The system functioned but I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the hardware used to construct it. When it arrived, it consisted of a fuel tank, some lines with shutoffs and some injectors to go through the lid of the honda generators. When I tried to put the injectors through the lids they would not go through. I called Wise.sales and told them of the problem. They told me I needed to drill out lids for the injectors to fit. (this means you have to purchase two additional gas caps at about 17$ a piece, so the cost of the system just went up by $34.) I did the drilling and the system functioned when everything was connected. The biggest drawback to this particular system is that it comes without any quick-disconnects, so the tank and the fuel lines are continuously married unless you want to pull the fuel lines off the barbs. In time this will cause fuel leaks. I went on the internet to try to locate quick disconnects but could find none for the small line used in the system (1/8") I believe. I sent Wise.sales an e-mail asking where I might get the disconnects but never got a response. I tried contacting Duration Power, but the phone number on their web site is incorrect. I gave up and rebuilt the system with 1/4" fuel line with the quick disconnects. I still have the Duration Power set-up available if anyone is interested. The only think I kept from the original set-up was the fuel tank, so you would have to purchase that. (22$ at Walmart) to make my old system workable. My advice; built the system yourself.There is a lot of information on the net. Just search "honda extended run fuel tank" I would guess you could do it, Including the second set of gas caps, for about $90. Start at a supplier of parts for Outboard motors. If you don't want to build one, shop around, there are some systems on the internet that have quick disconnects and quality fittings for about $140. I think one is called VM Sales, or something similar. Good luck. jc
Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
The biggest drawback to this particular system is that it comes without any quick-disconnects, so the tank and the fuel lines are continuously married unless you want to pull the fuel lines off the barbs. In time this will cause fuel leaks. jc
if those lines are not under pressure, you might be able to use a smooth fitting with a small flare on the end. try looking at a good automotive parts store. in fact you might find the quick connects there. someone with some recent auto repair experience will give more info
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
There is a Honda Generator yahoo group that has lots of info on building your own system too, as I did... I didn't like the angle of the trailer AC cord after attaching the 30 amp plug adaptor to the companion...So I built one from a locking plug to gen. about 18 in. of 10 ga. flexiable cord and a box and 30 amp female plug...I like this much better as it takes all the strain off the trailer cord...

Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
"...So I built one from a locking plug to gen. about 18 in. of 10 ga. flexiable cord and a box and 30 amp female plug..."

Great idea, I noticed that the angle leaves a lot to be desired so I'm fixin' to make one my ownself. Any chance you could post a pic?

"...I needed to drill out lids for the injectors to fit..."

Wow, I don't like the sound of that, what size drill? and did it need sealing with silicone or something similar when done?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Here ya go I hope...This is the first pic I've attempted to post...LOL

The plug to the gen is a L503P... All this I bought at Home Depot...

Good Luck

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30amp to eu2000.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	103856  
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Extended fuel tanks

Definitely purchase two extra fuel tank caps, install them on the siphon lines and put them into ziplock bags to keep them clean. No more hassle and best of all, no more back aches filling the little Honda tanks every so often.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Greg and Cindy,,,
Tnx big time for the photo,,, I'm gonn'a get the pieces this weekend and try to copy it.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
"...So I built one from a locking plug to gen. about 18 in. of 10 ga. flexiable cord and a box and 30 amp female plug..."

Great idea, I noticed that the angle leaves a lot to be desired so I'm fixin' to make one my ownself. Any chance you could post a pic?

"...I needed to drill out lids for the injectors to fit..."

Wow, I don't like the sound of that, what size drill? and did it need sealing with silicone or something similar when done?
After drilling with a 3/8" drill, the 1/8 NPT threaded itself right into the plastic cap. I did use a sealer that I purchased at the auto parts store (doesn't breakdown when in contact with gasoline). I'm at the office and don't recall the name of the sealer. I did mine with a 1/4" barb for a fuel line with with 1/4" ID. Hope that helps. jc
Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Tnx for the info,,, I should have mine going soon.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
How long does your EU2000 run when not in eco mode?

Just curious - we just did our first boondocking trip and ran our new EU2000 units in paralell. I did not time how long they ran but am wondering if any of you have experience with how long they run realistically on a full tank of gas.

Thx.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
_

. , .
run times...

altitude and load will affect run times, significantly.

eco or not, load=more fuel consumed and altitude=less output and a rich mix.

4-8 hours is typical.

the LONG THREADS on these generators have many many user reports on these things...

run times, maintenance, fuel stability, protection, transport, security and so on...

most of the genset issues are WELL covered and nicely documented.

it also helps to really read the H' owners manual, then read it again.

for example IF you expect to be >5000 ft most of the time there is the issue of ADJUSTING the carb for that...

also covered in some of the longer genset threads...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I believe it's Wise that's now selling an alum billet cap for the Honda's - it has a 1/4 NP tapped in the center...

I ordered one and made up my own extended run system using 1/4 inch fuel hose, two quick disconnects (and fuel tank & hose) from West Marine - the Chrysler types were the cheapest - and a 1/4 inch NP brass street elbow for the new alum cap...

This setup works great, and when packing up to go, I can unhook the fuel line from the cap - unscrew the cap from the genny - reattach the hose to the cap, holding it up in the air higher than the tank to drain any fuel back into the tank...

Then I again unhook the line from the cap and screw it back onto the genny - the quick disconnects have internal shut offs so there is no leakage from the cap or the fuel line - in fact, I can remove the line from the tank quick disconnect as well for storage without any fuel leakage problems...neat!

After getting all my parts together, I even went to my local rubber hose shop and had them crimp brass ferrules over the barb fittings on the hose ends so I could avoid those clumsy worm-drive hose clamps - made the system like a 'factory' installation...coooool

Ray
Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Pics?

Mexray -

Setup sounds quite nice. Could you share some pics?
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I need to create an extended run tank setup for my Honda 3000Handi, and I stumbled across this link a while back. Sounds similar to what some of you have done, though if I could find a premade billet fuel filler cap, that would be preferable to drilling through a plastic one I think.

Extended run fuel tank for Homda inverter generators.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
...Could you share some pics?
the billet caps are here, along with the other basic parts for sharing fuel tanks...

the caps are cool and not much more than the oem resin caps...

or go for the ready made "kit" with all the bits except the tank (using the resin caps).

Extended Run Fueal Tanks IPI Duration Power

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I need to create an extended run tank setup for my Honda 3000Handi, and I stumbled across this link a while back. Sounds similar to what some of you have done, though if I could find a premade billet fuel filler cap, that would be preferable to drilling through a plastic one I think.

Extended run fuel tank for Homda inverter generators.

-Marcus
And here's another set of DIY instructions:

How to add an aux fuel tank to a generator | eHow.com
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote