Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Have you spoken with Renogy about their flex panel recall? I was all set to buy several of their flex panels until they stopped selling them. They are working on new flex panels. I ended up with their 100 watt suitcase for the time being.

Only applied to their100w flex panels.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
Only applied to their100w flex panels.
Good to hear, thank you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Good to hear, than you.

I was cursing that there wasn't enough room up there for two 100w panels at the time. Ended up being a lucky break!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #184
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Very nice flexible panel install. What brand panels are they, and how did you attach them to the roof?
My panels were manufactured by Sun Power. I attached them with 3M VHB tape. Considered using SikaFlex 221 around the edges as well, but didn't. So far after two years the VHB has held up just fine.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #185
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Be careful, as moisture and dirt accumulation will eventually degrade the bonding hold of the VHB.

That's why we seal the edges of the mounting feet.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #186
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
wiring through the roof

Thinking about a 200watt go power flex system for my 54 cruiser. Since the inner skin is off and Im currently wiring up the trailer Im figuring now might be a good time for the install. Does anyone know the best way to come down through the roof? Other installs Ive noticed connections bolted through the roof then attached with cables inside the skin.
Stanley29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #187
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2021 23' Globetrotter
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley29 View Post
Thinking about a 200watt go power flex system for my 54 cruiser. Since the inner skin is off and Im currently wiring up the trailer Im figuring now might be a good time for the install. Does anyone know the best way to come down through the roof? Other installs Ive noticed connections bolted through the roof then attached with cables inside the skin.
I drilled a hole in the side of a Fantastic Fan housing and ran 10 ga wiring through a rubber grommet, connecting to factory prewire under the skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150621_1365iP6_SolarPanelInstall_800x800x300.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	264655  
Bambi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Renogy and HQST flexible panel failures

I've been a big fan of the flexible panels on my 1980 Caravelle. I had 2 Renogy 100W flex panels and 2 HQST 100W flex panels. I have them plugged into a Sunsaver Duo with remote meter and 2 6V golf cart batteries. It worked great for about a year, but in the heat of the summer, 3 out of 4 of my panels failed catastrophically while I was out of town. I returned from vacation to find my batteries COMPLETELY dead (<9V) and unable to charge at all. I was able to return the batteries to Costco and get new ones before I figured out the solar panels were to blame. I started troubleshooting the solar system and was able to separate the MC4 connectors to test each panel separately. 3 out of the 4 panels have zero voltage in full sun. One of my Renogy panels still looks good. Since everything is sealed except for the MC4 connection, I have no way of telling what the problem is with the panels but I am still under warranty. I'm going to install a couple monocrystalline rigid panels now since I don't want to go down this road again I don't know if Renogy and HQST will honor their warranty, but I hope they do. It adds about 30 pounds to my roof and may have an effect on aerodynamics, but at least they should last a lot longer.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Blue Sea pass throughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley29 View Post
If you have the interior skin off, I think that pass throughs are the best. It results in a very clean and versatile installation. Here are the Blue Sea terminal feed through connectors that I used:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/220...tuds_%5BRed%5D

Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzog View Post
I've been a big fan of the flexible panels on my 1980 Caravelle. I had 2 Renogy 100W flex panels and 2 HQST 100W flex panels. I have them plugged into a Sunsaver Duo with remote meter and 2 6V golf cart batteries. It worked great for about a year, but in the heat of the summer, 3 out of 4 of my panels failed catastrophically while I was out of town. I returned from vacation to find my batteries COMPLETELY dead (<9V) and unable to charge at all. I was able to return the batteries to Costco and get new ones before I figured out the solar panels were to blame. I started troubleshooting the solar system and was able to separate the MC4 connectors to test each panel separately. 3 out of the 4 panels have zero voltage in full sun. One of my Renogy panels still looks good. Since everything is sealed except for the MC4 connection, I have no way of telling what the problem is with the panels but I am still under warranty. I'm going to install a couple monocrystalline rigid panels now since I don't want to go down this road again I don't know if Renogy and HQST will honor their warranty, but I hope they do. It adds about 30 pounds to my roof and may have an effect on aerodynamics, but at least they should last a lot longer.
I just went through a similar problem with 3 100W renogy panels. One still worked but the other 2 were as your were.
When I talked to them they acknowledged that they had had a problem with some and they offered a full refund even on the one that was still working as they knew that one 100W panel wasn't going to do me much good. They even shipped an empty container up ( to B.C.) and paid the whole freight.
I have been in contact with them as they are working on an improved panel and hope for a release in the new year.
I was totally impressed with the handling of the whole situation and wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #191
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Alumacoach View Post
I have very similar flexible panels on my trailer. I bought them from Amazon two years ago with a solar controller. They are both 20 watts and we can now boondocks for several days without worry. Mind you, our trailer is small and the only electrical is lights, water pump and stereo so we don't have a lot of draw. We mounted the panels on the roof but did not adhere them directly to the surface. We used rubber grommets so that there would be a small space under the panel. Then we fastened the panels (through grommets) at the corners and halfway down each length. We wanted to have the spacers to ensure no water got trapped under the panels and so that they could be removed if necessary in the future. We apply a UV protective wax to the top of the panels a couple of times each year to keep them in good shape and to help grime from building up.

We couldn't be happier with the panels. I would post pictures but the trailer is all wrapped up in its winter cover right now.
@ 72Alumacoach: Do you recall the brand of the panels you purchased on Amazon?
CZPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #192
1 Rivet Member

Cranbrook , BC
Yes, they are HQRP panels that were distributed through Osprey-Talon. Doesn't look like they are around anymore.
72Alumacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Portable Go Power 80W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Alumacoach View Post
Yes, they are HQRP panels that were distributed through Osprey-Talon. Doesn't look like they are around anymore.
We have used the Go Power 80W portable unit for 3 years now and are very satisfied. Benefits are portability allows movement to optimal sun exposure vs fixed solar, and also cost. We installed the included quick disconnect cable to our batteries in front and tuck the cord in behind the aluminum propane cover. We secure with 6' cable lock, if we are concerned about possible theft in some locations, but no issues so far. The case allows for easy storage and we place under our table when traveling. For us, this allows us to take with us and if needed, can be used on other vehicles. Our neighbor had a SOB trailer last summer which after 3 days, needed a charge, so he borrowed our unit. 3 hours later he was fine. I would highly recommend for those not wanting the cost of permanent solar since you can take these units with you when you trade up. I would also suggest looking at the larger units (120W) if you want quicker charging.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-GP-PSK-...portable+solar
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
solar flex panels

Went ahead and bought a pass through plate for the go power 200watt system. Drilled a hole just big enough to get the two cables through. Installed a grommet and then vulcumed the @><:"" out of it. Put more vulcum down around the plate and on the holes that I screwed it down with. Hopefully not leaks. Im fixing to secure the panels. Im curious how you do this with grommets. Im thinking the 3m tape but not sure Id trust it going down the highway at 70mph.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #195
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
panels

go through plate attachment on my 54 cruiser
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1172.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	266585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	266586  

Old 10-25-2016, 01:22 AM   #196
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
So much great information, so little time! Im in the process of removing subfloor in my Excella and I was thinking as I have the skins off it may be a good time to run solar wiring.
ASTailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #197
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTailgate View Post
So much great information, so little time! Im in the process of removing subfloor in my Excella and I was thinking as I have the skins off it may be a good time to run solar wiring.
I think the Blue Sea pass-throughs are a great product for getting the power through the outer skin. It is a very clean installation.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/220...tuds_%5BRed%5D
Old 10-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
warranty

Quote:
Both Renogy and HQST honored their warranty and allowed me to return all of my panels (even the one that wasn't dead) for a full refund. I was pleased that they stood by their products. These products may be OK for some climates but they cannot handle Southwestern sunshine!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Both Renogy and HQST honored their warranty and allowed me to return all of my panels (even the one that wasn't dead) for a full refund. I was pleased that they stood by their products. These products may be OK for some climates but they cannot handle Southwestern sunshine!
I had the same experience with Renogy and as with you, Renogy honoured their warranty on both the good panel and the 2 bad ones. They even shipped me the box to return them in.
I have been in contact with them and they are testing other flexible panels and assure me they won't ship before they are ready.
I know flexible panels have received bad press ( for good reason) but I really want to try them again.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #200
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm sure that some of you have read posts relating to my experience with flex panels. I originally placed 5 of the Grape Solar Photo-Flex panels on my roof as a beta test in August of 2014. They looked like this on installation (photo on the top). Note the high gloss on the panel surfaces.

Just over a year later, they had become faded and cloudy. The amount of solar radiance being transmitted to the solar charge controller has dropped by 80% as measured by the Blue Sky iPN-PRO remote and later, the Victron 100/50 controller and BMV-702 battery monitor, both with blue tooth monitoring. The output voltage also dropped from a typical 19+VDC to just over 15VDC. Even when new and shiny, the flex panels would only work well within the few hours surrounding 'solar noon'. Their output voltage was far below what a comparable rigid panel would provide during 'off-peak' hours of the day.

Grape solar was very good about replacing them with their 'new and improved' flex panels, which I was told by their product engineer were made in Canada. I still have them in the original shipping box, as they sit unused. They did not want the old ones returned.

I am replacing the old, bad panels with 5 of their GS-100 panels that I have been saving for the change-over. When the Sprinter had 5 off the GS-100 panels on the roof, I would see upwards of 25 amps into the batteries over the course of the day. The 500 watts of flex panels, even at their peak performance, never rose above the 20 amp level at peak solar radiance.

Before looking into any 'improved' panel, I would definitely want to see an extended test report to be certain that the 'new' plastic film being used was going to provide a non-fading surface, and also get some type of warranty as too that surface longevity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2661.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	274309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4173.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	274310  

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote