Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We just use the portable suitcase solar from GoPower...now using it with our 3rd AS...less expensive, moves around to find the sun when needed, and you don't loose any money by leaving it on your old AS when you upgrade to your next AS.

Understand if your intent on a large solar system with monitors, controllers, Li batteries, etc...for extensive boondocking...but we have found even the large systems can not preform all the time (weather/trees), while installed stationary on your TT. Portable works for us.... along with back up generator.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #242
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
atlantic city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We just use the portable suitcase solar from GoPower...now using it with our 3rd AS...less expensive, moves around to find the sun when needed, and you don't loose any money by leaving it on your old AS when you upgrade to your next AS.

Understand if your intent on a large solar system with monitors, controllers, Li batteries, etc...for extensive boondocking...but we have found even the large systems can not preform all the time (weather/trees), while installed stationary on your TT. Portable works for us.... along with back up generator.
I know this is a long thread so I'm sorry if its been asked before i skimmed all 13 pages. I TOO am looking into flexible solar panels to maximize the space on my 22 foot argosy that already has an AC installed and two fans. After reading all the horror stories, im wondering if anyone has gone with the monocrystalline technology they have now, and if its working any better? I'm looking to get 500 watts of solar for my two battle born lithium batteries, ill have a smart controller as well - there's no space up there for rigid solar panels and they look awful I did think of a portable suitcase but its just another thing to store somewhere and the idea of setting it up every time i park seems annoying to me. Could you just get an addition panel to try and make up for the panels low efficiency so you still get the wattage you need? If i need 500 watts and the panels equal 500, should I assume its more like .. 400? How do i estimate that?
girasoledonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #243
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by girasoledonn View Post
I know this is a long thread so I'm sorry if its been asked before i skimmed all 13 pages. I TOO am looking into flexible solar panels to maximize the space on my 22 foot argosy that already has an AC installed and two fans. After reading all the horror stories, im wondering if anyone has gone with the monocrystalline technology they have now, and if its working any better? I'm looking to get 500 watts of solar for my two battle born lithium batteries, ill have a smart controller as well - there's no space up there for rigid solar panels and they look awful I did think of a portable suitcase but its just another thing to store somewhere and the idea of setting it up every time i park seems annoying to me. Could you just get an addition panel to try and make up for the panels low efficiency so you still get the wattage you need? If i need 500 watts and the panels equal 500, should I assume its more like .. 400? How do i estimate that?
If you want 500 watts, there are plenty posts this past year on this topic here, including best technology with controllers for Li set ups. The only advantage to the suitecase type we have, is I have used it with 3 different AS's now. (fixed pretty much goes when you "upgrade" to larger AS.) also I can move portable unit around for the sunlight...important when camping in the parks with trees...it does take longer to charge our 6V Trojan's, but works for us especially with a generator back up. Some times, we just don't have sunlight where we go due to forest.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #244
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
atlantic city , New Jersey
So many years later, any success?

Ok i finally read through all 13 pages of this thread... it was interesting to see Lews comments and grandmaster who was trying so hard to make flexible work. I have a 22 footer with an AC installed, two fantastic fans, vents, a marine dickinson heater vent, a bathroom fan vent.. there just isn't that much room up there. With flexible solar I can get my 500 wats needed, but i cant figure out how to make that possible with rigid. I did see one person post like tiny thin ones they ran down the sides of the roof, and I guess I need to pursue that next. I understand that even the folks on here that went with flexible, reported back 18 months later that they had failed. My only question is if the technology now in 2020 has improved at all, making this a possibly more efficient option? I really havent read ANY good experiences with these solar panels lasting more than 1.5 years. I have two battle born lithium batteries and their solar controller (forget the name) and a 1000 watt inverter but thinking of upgrading to 2000 watt. I want to live 90% of the time boon docking and most of my set up is for this purpose (the heater, two large grey tanks under neath, a composting toilet). Really want to avoid a solar suitcase but i guess thats going to be my only other option if flexible is really not going to work! But if anybody out there has any experience with the new sun cell flexible panels please let me know - was looking at Renogy and Go Power thanks
girasoledonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #245
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Provo , Utah
Also wondering whether changes in technology have improved things

Zombie thread, back from the dead.

I'm also interested in hearing more recent experience in flex solar panels and whether the latest designs are still suffering from the same issues enumerated in this thread. I can get SunPower's flexible panels for significantly less than Zamp Solar's obsidian series.
jranck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:06 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Update: I have had my unisolar flexible panels on my trailer since 2013 so that is 9 years and they are still working just fine. Fully adhered to the trailer roof. No noticeable cupping and I only clean them once a year.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Update: I have had my unisolar flexible panels on my trailer since 2013 so that is 9 years and they are still working just fine. Fully adhered to the trailer roof. No noticeable cupping and I only clean them once a year.
Al
Apparantly they are no longer available as the parent company filed for bankruptcy yesterday.
Too bad. Sounds like they were good ones.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:04 AM   #248
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Al
Curious is the panels being adhered to the metal roof add to the heating effect inside the trailer?

Seems like having an air gap between the panels and the roof would prevent the heat transfer, and with the black panels one would think that there is a lot of heat pulled in from the sun.

Or, does the panel itself prevent the heat transfer?

I'm really not wanting to put traditional panels on the trailer, but between the potential heat transfer and the potential for lower efficiency I' not sure it's the best option.

Also, were you able to curve the panels at all along their length so that they can be mounted to the curve of the roof when mounted lengthwise parallel to the trailer instead of across it? Most of what I see about flex solar panels shows them flexing across their narrow width only, implying that they are meant to be mounted across the roof of an Airstream.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #249
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I will try to find a photo of my roof install. I did post photos about 8 years ago on the forum.
They are installed length ways. Parallel to the awning rail. They curve across the narrow dimension of the panel and the two rear ones also slightly bend down due to the rear segment shape.
As for heat, I painted the roof of the trailer with a ceramic paint. Just painted with no panels it made a tremendous difference compared to the factory white. After the panel installation it was slightly warmer but not bad. Don’t forget that if it is sunny you have solar available to run your fans without depleting your batteries.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote