Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
"I lost a Group 24 AGM which was connected to a 5W amorphous trickle charger panel from a week of Texas summer sun"
Sealed AGM batteries hate heat, period, end of story. After several days of heating where they can't cool off overnight a slippery slope appears in their chemistry.

Example: the 10-year warranty telecommunications batteries I have are guaranteed to out gas, blow the pressure relief valve, void the warranty, have non-healing voids occur between the plates and eventually dry out the slim excess water content designed into their semi-gelled electrolyte ... IF ANY CURRENT AT ALL is applied when battery temperature exceeds 100°F.

Okay, so that means... Keeping those batteries cool is vital since even using a temperature compensated charge controller will feed current to my powbattery 118AH AGMS even when the battery core is above 100°F.

And all bets are off if you have a battery locker with AGMs exposed to all-day tropical sunshine (I am in Minnesota, Missouri seems tropical about now) so they are nice and toasty warm for several days and then plug in to shore power to run A/C and the converter throws full charge voltage & current at it...

Most R/V style AGMs have excess electrolyte and other 'hybrid' chemistry tricks involved so they aren't nearly as delicate at the telecomm batteries I mentioned, point is just remember to consider the battery core temperatures wherever they are installed. Opening the covers a crack overnight to allow cooling air, putting battery locker on shady side or blocking direct sun on the hatch, blah blah blah...
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I don't often camp for more than four days without hydro so it isn't that interesting to me(I can't justify the cost) but I noticed the other day that I could buy a wind turbine with an 800 watt output for about $800.00 Canadian. That is really cheap compared to the same output in solar panels.
Just a thought.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #43
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
MontanaArgy - Thank you! Looking forward to the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaArgy View Post
I put a 68w Unisolar unit on my Argy 20 two years ago. I have a controller, the MPP type from Blue Sky Energy which increases the amperage. I did not caulk or protect the front edge or do anything but just clean the surface (painted) well and stick it down. I got it all except the (two Optima) batteries from Infinigi. They were very helpful, and the best prices i was able to find at that time.

As Joe mentioned early in this string, getting the backing off was difficult, I did it when it was cold. Not that bad, but awkward on top of the ladder in the wind with 10 feet of it rolled up in your arms. I certainly recommend an assistant. It is installed high along the road side. I ran the wires down along side the tank vent pipe. I have two big Optima batteries. I know these are less efficient, but the don't gas into the trailer, and they don't need to be filled, as one of them is very difficult to reach. Similar to the Unisolar, they may not be as efficient at peak, but in cloudy or partially shaded conditions they continue to produce power when the solid type may not, at least these are my understanding, and seem to be accurate from what I am seeing.

I have had no sign of the panel pulling up, it seems to be stuck for life so far. The only interesting thing I have noticed is the trailer roof under the panel wrinkles just a bit in the hot sun on very hot days due to the expansion of the panel.

I will post a photo soon of what it looks like.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote