Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Long thread but educational/documentation of what I went through to install a new solar. I knew zero about solar and did this with help from many on the site and amsolar

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-a-162955.html
Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I just ordered a 100 watt panel from AM Solar for my 2016 sport 16. The limited space on the roof leads to limited choices of panels. The smaller and more expensive 100 watt panel is 20.9 x 41 inches and should fit nicely in the front left corner of the roof.

100 watts should more then meet my needs.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #363
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
I'm very interested in having solar on my AS Classic (when I get it) and it appears to me from reading this thread that after market is the way to go. I've read through Troutboy's installation (which was magnificent!) but won't be spending that kind of coin nor attempting a DIY project either. My question to the solar crowd is as follows:

1) Is after market really better (and cheaper) than the factory installed system?
2) If the answer to number one is yes, who would/should do the installation and what does that cost?
lrankine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
1. Yes
2. Lewster while he is in Florida over the winter

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
1. Yes

2. Lewster while he is in Florida over the winter

Larry

I second this.....Lew did my AI in Feb down at his Naples shop.
400 watts solar, 480ahrs lithium batteries, 3000 watt inverter. Quality job, with quality components.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #366
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Irankine,

Thanks for the compliment. It really depends on what you want to do with the solar. I am a tech junkie and like go high end etc. I had the money so spent it. However, I also had a system planned out for much less, like $2000. The lithium batteries really drive the cost of materials up, almost 2x.

It doesn't have to be all the bells and whistles and all lithium. I'm not sure about labor to install, but if I were to pay someone, it would Lewster. I tried to pay him for all his help and insight on my install and all he will take is a couple beers if I see him out and about.

I love the system I installed, but having camped a few times now, it seems like overkill. We are doing 4 nights remote this weekend, and it may rain, so this will be a good test.

Good luck and ask if you need help or advice!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #367
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Prosser , Washington
We had ours installed after market. Long story short, we started with 2 and added some more. Then we changed our original equipment battery for the AGMs. The trickle charge through cloudy winter days keeps us ready for Spring and time to roll. We dry camped in cloudy Western WA, and even with the clouds we recharged our batteries after all night of running the furnace. We still carry a generator for those appliances where the amps are too high (microwave), but we only use the generator when we need it when we are boondocking. Where we camp, and frugality of running stuff, we can survive for weeks without a generator (but we do need a sewer dump).
Tim and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #368
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Irankine,

Thanks for the compliment. It really depends on what you want to do with the solar. I am a tech junkie and like go high end etc. I had the money so spent it. However, I also had a system planned out for much less, like $2000. The lithium batteries really drive the cost of materials up, almost 2x.

It doesn't have to be all the bells and whistles and all lithium. I'm not sure about labor to install, but if I were to pay someone, it would Lewster. I tried to pay him for all his help and insight on my install and all he will take is a couple beers if I see him out and about.

I love the system I installed, but having camped a few times now, it seems like overkill. We are doing 4 nights remote this weekend, and it may rain, so this will be a good test.

Good luck and ask if you need help or advice!
Could you give me the thumbnail version of what your $2K system was? I would definitely like to go with the lithium option and $4K plus labor isn't unreasonable considering what a Classic goes for these days.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 AM   #369
Rivet Master

Troutboy and I have installed similar systems. You won't get a Lithium system for 2K or even 4K. You can certainly do solar for 2k. Think about what your needs for capacity are first. How many amp-hours do you expect to use between charges? With conventional lead-acid batteries you need double that capacity. Stock Airstreams can only handle 80 amp-hours before needing recharging, actually fine for an overnight or 2.
If you have the Interstates, you will want to upgrade to AGM's, maybe $500. If you need more capacity add more AGM's. Then think about how many solar panels you want. Your roof will easily have room for 4. Serious boondocking will require more, but 4 is still a lot. You will need a new solar controller.
Browse the AM Solar website for a lot of products and information. Again, you can add 4 solar panels, controller, new batteries, and hardware for $2k or a bit more.
When you get into Lithium, a new inverter/charger you begin to talk real money.
Larry
Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #370
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have a wiring diagram for my first system. It was a solid system that included trimetric solar charger, trimetric battery monitor, a 1000W magnum and 300w on top. Then the plan was to use 2 or 4 AGM batteries. This system would have cost around $2K. And would serve well. I have a rough diagram I can post later of this system. I built this based off the Handybobsolar.wordpress.com website.

If you search these forums Fran and frank did a nice system and he sourced many of the components on his own driving price down.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #371
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I don't plan on what you might call "serious "boondocking" but do want a system that will have no trouble keeping things charged up and running. I'm still very much a novice at all this so it's really a "I don't know what I don't know" situation for me. I'll continue hanging out on this thread to learn as much as I can. Thanks to everyone who is contributing the discussion!

Larry
Old 05-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #372
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I second this.....Lew did my AI in Feb down at his Naples shop.
400 watts solar, 480ahrs lithium batteries, 3000 watt inverter. Quality job, with quality components.
If you don't mind my asking.....what did this cost you?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #373
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrankine View Post
I'm very interested in having solar on my AS Classic (when I get it) and it appears to me from reading this thread that after market is the way to go. I've read through Troutboy's installation (which was magnificent!) but won't be spending that kind of coin nor attempting a DIY project either. My question to the solar crowd is as follows:

1) Is after market really better (and cheaper) than the factory installed system?
2) If the answer to number one is yes, who would/should do the installation and what does that cost?

We had Factory solar and AGM batteries on the used '16 FC 30 foot rear queen we bought from Patrick at Colonial last year. I'm glad it did; I would not have an AS without Solar at this point.

I'm not what you call a serious boondocker, but I do like having the batteries topped up while the AS is off power, or the occasional overnight.

So far, I've managed to live with the factory controller.

If I were ordering a new Classic at this point, and I boondocked more than once a month, I'd probably go aftermarket, save some money, get a better charger/controller, and bigger panels.

Either way, I'd get AGM batteries for sure. Filling wet cells every month is a pain.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #374
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I went the AM solar DIY route with 700w solar and 640Ah Lithium on a 2017 Classic.I agree with Troutboy and others that the solar is not very expensive and was a pretty easy install. The Lithiums are where the bulk of the cost and installation work is. You can do all your research on the AM solar website and talk to them - their support is FANTASTIC.

Also a significant cost on the solar side is the mounts where you can cut costs if you use alternative/homemade brackets - but the AM solution makes it quick and easy.

The answer to the question on the Airstream OEM vs aftermarket is really that for the same cost of the Airstream package you can double the solar capability. There is no hard rule but aim your solar to battery ratio at approximately 100 Watts to 100Ah
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #375
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
I went the AM solar DIY route with 700w solar and 640Ah Lithium on a 2017 Classic.I agree with Troutboy and others that the solar is not very expensive and was a pretty easy install. The Lithiums are where the bulk of the cost and installation work is. You can do all your research on the AM solar website and talk to them - their support is FANTASTIC.

Also a significant cost on the solar side is the mounts where you can cut costs if you use alternative/homemade brackets - but the AM solution makes it quick and easy.

The answer to the question on the Airstream OEM vs aftermarket is really that for the same cost of the Airstream package you can double the solar capability. There is no hard rule but aim your solar to battery ratio at approximately 100 Watts to 100Ah
Thanks Pete! What did your Lithium rig cost you?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #376
Rivet Master

You already indicated that you were not going the pricey route, but I'll give you my numbers. For the Lithium batteries, solar controller, inverter/charger, BT dongles, cables, etc, I spent $5600. About half of that was for my Lithiums, 180 amp-hour because that was all I felt I needed. The Lithiums, still, are the most expensive part and you can spend a lot more for more amp-hours.
I did the project so my labor was free, but it was two full days of work, plus time on the front end of that to layout, plan and prep.

Larry
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Pete, that is a massive system. Must work awesome.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Larry is better than me, mine cost more and it took me much more time, I would say around 6 days, maybe 7!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #379
Rivet Master

I had more space, I think, in the 25FB, and after a helper helped in removing the bed plywood, access was amazingly easy..for 1 person. I had already measured, did a to-scale drawing, and pre-located everything. I know Rich used cutouts, but I did not bother with that.

Larry
Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #380
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrankine View Post
Thanks Pete! What did your Lithium rig cost you?

You can find exact pricing on the AM Solar site - shipping is only $12 regardless of the size of the shipment. I had to buy the batteries separately due to availability.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote