Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #181
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Mine is a Sunexplorer and when trailer is out in sun it says charg no number on charge amps display and on solar amp hours display it says 0. So why is it not working. Or has anybody else had this problem is there something that I need to adjust or look at. Thanks for any help.
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
what is the battery voltage. the controller will only charge the batteries when the voltage drops below about 12.4 or so volts. the manual gives the exact specs.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this is the unit in my trailer...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PVCM25.pdf (72.2 KB, 167 views)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedecanada View Post
Mine is a Sunexplorer and when trailer is out in sun it says charg no number on charge amps display and on solar amp hours display it says 0. So why is it not working. Or has anybody else had this problem is there something that I need to adjust or look at. Thanks for any help.
Others have had this problem, see post #103 of this thread. Things to have checked out: the charge controller, wiring, and display monitor.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Thanks for help will check out controller next
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
It is quite nice to have all of the wiring hidden in the interior walls from the factory ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #187
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Florence , Montana
New Batteries

Gave up on trying to fit 31xt batteries in my battery box, with the cables, it just seemed too tight. I think they could be jammed in, but I went the easy route and replaced them with 24t's. Followed Silver Gate's great detailed instructions and it went perfectly. Thanks again for all the help. Bill
MTStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Number of Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSolarGuy View Post
Hi Corky,

We are the provider of all the solar modules to Airstream. Just curious, did you request them to use the GP-RV-110 solar kit? Typically, Airstream installs our 50 watt solar modules. The GP-RV-110 is a great kit and will provide you with double the power.

AirSolarGuy (Mark)
I have a 2006 Safari with factory installed solar. My configuration has only 1 53 watt solar panel and 2 AGM batteries. Could a second panel be added (of course if space is available) to the existing config and would any down stream supporting electronic devices need to be replace/upgraded?

Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #189
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
I have a 2006 Safari with factory installed solar. My configuration has only 1 53 watt solar panel and 2 AGM batteries. Could a second panel be added (of course if space is available) to the existing config and would any down stream supporting electronic devices need to be replace/upgraded?

Thanks
According to his profile, The user whose post you quoted has not visited Airforums since making that post nearly a year ago. Perhaps if you sent him a private message via the forums, he may get an email of your message, or If you click on his username to the left of the post you quoted, you will see a link to send him an email. Hopes this helps,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Tsunami,

I think the answer to your question is that everything downstream should be fine but you should look at the solar charge controller and be sure that its rating is sufficient. When I was shopping for a new controller even the smallest ones can handlee two 53 watt panels.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #191
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
My '28 airstream FC is in order with a build date of 4/1. I was all set to include the solar but dealer told me to hold off and get an aftermarket
I am still torn, I know the up charge is steep but I wonder if the peace of mind knowing it is all factory installed and covered by airstream is worth it.
I need to make final decision this week to get it included.
Dealer is working up three options
1. All factory (list is $2900)
2. factory controller and dealer installed solar panels.
3. Dealer installed aftermarket system

Those who have done all factory would you do it again?
SchuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Hard to guess exactly what system a dealer might install so it is hard to advise. We only have a 16' Bambi but it has the factory system and it works fine. The controller Airstream uses has enough reserve capacity that I even added a connection for more panels when we are parked off grid. Works great...I would not hesitate to purchase the factory system again...especially when the warranty is nationwide. If you ever have a falling out with your dealer who will provide warranty work?
Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the factory system and like it very much. It is plenty for our conservative use (lights, entertainment system, furnace fan) with propane supplying the other energy needs (fridge, water heater, furnace heat, range). We no longer carry a generator on our frequent cross-country tours.

The factory system (includes two Lifeline AGM batteries) is expensive but it is nicely installed and covered under the warranty. Many have said it is a relatively small system and you can get more for the money elsewhere. Probably, but we like ours.

Our Airstream was in stock with all options, which we did not think we wanted. If we bought again we would have all of them as well as a ProPride/Hensley hitch installed. They add a great deal to our use and enjoyment of the Airstream. We watch our spending and managed this extra cost by buying a more basic, well-matched tow vehicle.

Although list price is $2900 you should be able to negotiate this down considerably. Unless the dealer is making a fat profit installing them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Yes, we would do it again!

We still have and enjoy our factory-installed solar charging system. It meets our needs during non-hookup camping (water pump, FanTastic Fans, stove fan, refrigerator fan, led lights, stereo, etc.). On most days our two AGM batteries are back to 100% by mid-morning. Even on cloudy days, some power is produced by our solar panels.

See records below made during our last non-hookup camping trip to the mountains last October. (See the full story in "Snug as a bug in a safari" and "Airstream Safari trip notes".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017 Solar records Oct.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	206604  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #195
Rivet Master

Silvergate,

Thanks for the post. We also have the factory solar install. however we have never used it for longer than overnight. (not much sun then )

I will be examining your log.

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #196
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Hard to guess exactly what system a dealer might install so it is hard to advise. We only have a 16' Bambi but it has the factory system and it works fine. The controller Airstream uses has enough reserve capacity that I even added a connection for more panels when we are parked off grid. Works great...I would not hesitate to purchase the factory system again...especially when the warranty is nationwide. If you ever have a falling out with your dealer who will provide warranty work?
Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
That was my thought exactly Bruce.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #197
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Although list price is $2900 you should be able to negotiate this down considerably. Unless the dealer is making a fat profit installing them.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is I intended to order when we made the deal but they suggested I wait. I will try and get them to come down, so far they have been very reasonable in pricing.

We ordered with all the bells and whistles we think we need. Awnings package, 1000w inverter, convection oven, bike racks (my wife has very high end road bike and needed a cradle) and ultraleather. Based on dealer recommendation We ordered pro pride directly from Sean but it will be installed by the airstream dealer. My inclination is to get factory solar while I still have the chance.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #198
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We had an aftermarket solar panel installed by the dealer because the trailer we liked was already on his lot and didn't have solar in it yet. To be honest it didn't even occur to us that Airstream would install them at the factory. I kind of wish we had thought about that option or at least compared the two to see which would've been better, spec-wise and cost-wise. That said, while we haven't really put our solar system to a major test it seems to be working fine and charging the batteries nicely.

Even better, having a solar panel on the roof helps me win arguments against myself when I begin to wonder whether I should invest in something like one or two of those Honda 2000i generators. Our motor home had an Onan generator, of course, and we found it very convenient from time to time. With the trailer, I occasionally have to arm-wrestle myself out of buying one, mostly because I don't want to carry the extra weight and the maintenance headaches. I really want to find that with a solar panel, a proper coffee pot and enough cross-ventilation, we can easily and serenely enjoy the occasional boondocking experience. Here's hoping!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #199
Rivet Master

I had the panels installed at the factory because it would be under the factory warranty. I did and still do feel like a paid too much for what I got. If I had it to do over again, I would do a bunch of research, get the best parts I could find and do it myself. I have not been impressed with the RV service work that dealers do. I would prefer to find an independent technician to do work I don't want to do.

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
We've been very happy with our factory solar option on our 28' International. I planned on buying a pair of 2k Honda generators but so far have not. The solar has kept up with our needs when boon docking. We only used our A/C one night last year with a relatively cool summer so all of our electric needs have been met with the batteries, solar and the inverter for occasional 110.

A bit of a pricy option but one of the few things that has been reliable on our trailer.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote