Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Actual Solar Panel Provider to Airstream

Hi Everyone,

I work for Carmanah Technologies Corp. We provide Airstream with the BP-350U - 50 Watt Solar Panels for the Factory Installation. We purchased Intermountain Solar a number of years ago and I'm still trying to get Airstream to update their manuals, but it's been a difficult task. Also because their are so many Airstreams on the road there is a lot of out dated manuals. We provide the panel which is a 50 watt, many of the manuals still say a 53 watt, but it's definitely a 50. The Sunexplorer Charge Controller is provided by another company. We are the largest supplier of solar product to the RV parts distributors who them sell them to the RV dealers. We also do some work with OEM's like Airstream. If you have any questions regarding the stock solar system or solar in general please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
New Braunfels , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSolarGuy View Post
Hi Everyone,

I work for Carmanah Technologies Corp. We provide Airstream with the BP-350U - 50 Watt Solar Panels for the Factory Installation. We purchased Intermountain Solar a number of years ago and I'm still trying to get Airstream to update their manuals, but it's been a difficult task. Also because their are so many Airstreams on the road there is a lot of out dated manuals. We provide the panel which is a 50 watt, many of the manuals still say a 53 watt, but it's definitely a 50. The Sunexplorer Charge Controller is provided by another company. We are the largest supplier of solar product to the RV parts distributors who them sell them to the RV dealers. We also do some work with OEM's like Airstream. If you have any questions regarding the stock solar system or solar in general please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I have a 2008 Safari SE 23FB. What kind of ballpark figure would I be looking at for installing of the "stock solar system"?

Allen

Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #115
_

. , .
allen

the 'ballpark figure' is best obtained from the a/s dealer IF you plan to use their gear.

or email j/c they've got an exact price when solar is added to a new build.

there is NO one system (they do 1panel/1battery, and 2 panel/2 battery setups)

see post #71 above IN this thread.

2 panels, 2 agms, controller/display wiring and install are AROUND 2-2,500$.

or read some of these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ice-39392.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...age-23534.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ing-11634.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
New Braunfels , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
allen

the 'ballpark figure' is best obtained from the a/s dealer IF you plan to use their gear.
I've already tried the calling of Carmanah Technologies Corp once for more information. I was shunted off to my "region's" sales guru. Left messages which were never returned. Saw this post by Mark and thought I might the info from him.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #117
_

. , .
which is WHY the suggestion is to contact a/s, NOT the panel vendor.

pricing for a KIT vs buying the pieces vs factory INSTALL prices...

will vary widely.

the PANELS that 'air solar guy' sells are available via several websites.

also VENDORS are not allowed (per TOU) to quote prices here for most goods n services.

keep in mind a "complete" functional systems is more that panels...

the agm batteries for example add 500$ to the 'factory' package

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi Machead,

Not sure who you spoke with, but I'm generally available. I always return a phone call, you sure it was me you left one with? I might have been out of the office, I took Friday off. Sadly, I don't have enough free time to be on this forum all the time, but I enjoy answering questions when I can! 2airishuman is correct in that we only sell to RV OEM's, RV Parts Distributors, and some online vendors. However, I'm always available to answer questions regarding solar, inverters, or just general mobile power questions. I can however, provide a ball park on any kind of system someone is looking into. Any other questions please let me know.

AirSolarGuy
Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #119
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Solar Panel Update

Hi Everyone,

I don't know what Airstream has made it so difficult to find out what solar panels they are using. I long time ago they use to be 53 watt panels. For the past, I say 5 years they have been 50 watt solar panels. The regulator or charge controller they are is a two piece unit. I think the main reason they are using it, is because it's silver and goes with the theme. We have a digital all-in-one unit that is a Pulse Width Modulated solar regulator. This is what the majority of the RV dealers use and install, and they are included with our retail kits. As always if you have any other questions please let me know. I'm still getting use to this forum so any suggestions so I can help you better let me know.

AirSolarGuy
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #120
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSolarGuy View Post
We have a digital all-in-one unit that is a Pulse Width Modulated solar regulator. This is what the majority of the RV dealers use and install, and they are included with our retail kits. As always if you have any other questions please let me know. I'm still getting use to this forum so any suggestions so I can help you better let me know.

AirSolarGuy
Welcome to the Forum. We have your panels on our trailer.
Can you post a link to informatiom about your regulator?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi Ken,

Thanks....I want to be available if anyone has questions. Here's a link to our GP-PWM-25 solar regulator - GP-PWM-25 Solar Regulator On the home page you can also download our Mobile Power Guide, which is our full catalog. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Regards,

AirSolarGuy
Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
my solar panels are not charging my batteries and possible reason why i am kinda of new at this that do you think
Old 05-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi DaCosta,

It's hard to say without having more details. What solar regulator do you have? What is it displaying? Do your solar panels have access to full sun? If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage from the solar pos & neg wires to see if your getting voltage. You can also check the wires at your batteries to see if voltage is being passed through to the batteries. I would also check the battery voltage to see if they match up. I'm not that familiar with the solar regulator that Airstream typically uses, but you could check to see if a fuse is blown. Hope that helps for now.

AirSolarGuy
Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #124
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Solar Kit Installed: 110W GP-RV-110 panel
GP-PWM-25 Regulator

Both products of Carmanah Industries

SolarForRV Home Page

I just had the factory Solar Panel package installed on my camper at Jackson Center....Here is what i had done.

I post most of my trailer stuff on my page.... but will update the Solar stuff here as well.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-ls-61361.html

The Kit ran $1102.00 for both the panel and regulator and Labor ran around $588

add tax and i was out the door for $1808.00

The panel had to have some legs put on it to allow it to be mounted on my camper. With the AC, 2 Fantastic Fan, the Antenna, and the Moon Roof, the panel wouldn't fit lenght ways, so they decided to mount it horizontally, but to do that, it had to be elevated to allow me to still use the fans in the shower and bathroom. Just up about an inch or two higher, and its all set now.

Panels fits perfectly in that space. Easy to use system, read the three pages of operating instructions and its all set up. Going to get AGM batteries at some point, but for now i set it up to run on my traditional batteries.

Might add another panel sometime, but i will feel out this panel the rest of summer b4 i open the wallet again for additional panels.

Excited about all my new possibilities to camp whereever. No regrets!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8060934.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	108268   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8060938.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	108269  

Name:	P8060940.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	108270  
Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #125
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
BTW....the 110W measure 63" x 23" which is actually a little larger then the 125W panel that Carmanah offers..... which is 58.5" x 26.1"

just in case you get to measuring for room.... I'm bored lol and am always scheming for my next project....hypothetically....say i were to add a another panel ( which the the regualtor can handle- no problem)

I would add the 95 or 50 watt panel to my roof, which i could squeeze in almost perfectly next to my current panel....question is....that just adds more charging power...when most people just need more juice...which equals more batteries....so what to do.

haha- i just had the dam panels installed....i will leave it be for a while lol...My wheels are just turning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8060938 - Copy.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	108273  
Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #126
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi Mgm,

That looks like a pretty good install! Glad your happy with it overall. The GP-PWM-25 can handle up to 395 watts or 25 amps, so yes you have lots of room for expansion. The 95 has the same type of MC connections so it would be easy to add it to your system. To answer your question, your right that the more solar you add the more DC amps you can put back into your battery bank per hour. Your also right about sizing up the batteries. On average a couple use around 70-80 DC amps a day. That 110 watt panel will put 35-40 DC amps back into your batteries per day when its nice and sunny out. So I would see how long your batteries last before you add more solar. Just remember the bigger the battery bank, the bigger the 'gas' tank you have to work with. You may just need more batteries and that will get you through until the solar can have time to charge back up the batteries. I like AGM's as well. They give you the option to put them in different places in your RV without needing a battery box. If you have any other questions pleaes let me know.

AirSolarGuy