Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Solar Power Basics

Isinclair: Welcome to this thread, Larry. I note that you have two 53-watt factory solar panels with two AGM batteries on a ’05 Classic. I agree with you… I wouldn’t do without them!

Thank you for attaching additional information on Solar Power Basics and AGMs in your post #56 on previous page. I note that this information includes an article, "Amps, Watts, Volts: The Math Can Get Confusing", by Michael and Susan Snowden, along with a wealth of additional information from them (See link below).

Michael and Susan Snowden wrote an excellent article with photos in the Fall 2005 issue of Airstream Life, page 73-78, "Powering Your Airstream with Sunlight – A Short Course on Solar Panels, Electricity, Batteries, and Curious Guests".

See: http://www.airstreamlife.com/extra/solar.html

Thank you,
SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Isinclair: Welcome to this thread, Larry. I note that you have two 53-watt factory solar panels with two AGM batteries on a ’05 Classic. I agree with you… I wouldn’t do without them!

Thank you for attaching additional information on Solar Power Basics and AGMs in your post #56 on previous page. I note that this information includes an article, "Amps, Watts, Volts: The Math Can Get Confusing", by Michael and Susan Snowden, along with a wealth of additional information from them (See link below).

Michael and Susan Snowden wrote an excellent article with photos in the Fall 2005 issue of Airstream Life, page 73-78, "Powering Your Airstream with Sunlight – A Short Course on Solar Panels, Electricity, Batteries, and Curious Guests".

See: http://www.airstreamlife.com/extra/solar.html

Thank you,
SilverGate
Thanks for the link Bill. I missed this one. Information is a powerful tool for knowledge. When I stop learning, I'll throw in the towel (then I won't be able to rid my solar panels of snow in the winter)!!!
Larry
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:18 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Follow-up Info on the Rockler Keyless Cam Lock

See additional info and photos regarding the Rockler Keyless Cam Lock...
For the battery compartment, posts #321 - 323 at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-29471-23.html

You can set your own 3-digit combination...

This zinc lock replaces any ¾ in. keyed cam lock.

Mine is Part #36655, which is 1&1/8th in. long for stock (in this case the battery box inner rim) which is 7/8" or less thick.

Our battery box inner rim is 5/8 in. thick.

SilverGate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpim1643 Cam lock profile curb side.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	47390  
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Solar Charging System Update

The more non-hook-up camping we do, the more we appreciate our factory-installed solar charging system,especially as the cost of fuel increases and the economy falters.

During our recent desert camping, we also tried out new electronic products that help us utilize electrical energy more efficiently...

Such as the Kensington Ultra Portable Power Inverter 150, MacBook Pro, iPod and i-F3 Portable iPod Speakers.

See details in my article, "Safari Solar Power", in my column, History Safari Express.

Solar power is moving from just a "feel-good" issue to a viable alternative to fossil-fuel derived electricity. Share your solar energy charging system components, issues, and ideas here, along with ways you are learning to utilize energy more efficiently.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM2450.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	57208   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2464.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	57209  

Name:	HPIM2468.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	57213   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2481.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	57214  

Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Solar panels saved batteries during converter failure

Two weeks ago my Parallax converter suddenly failed while I was running two Fantastic Fans and had interior lights on while doing interior cleaning. I was shocked to see that the batteries were at 45% even though I was connected to shore power.

(See details of the problem and solution at: "Battery at 45% even though connected to shore power" and at "End of summer dreams")

By placing the "Use/Store" switch to "Store" that night, I was able to keep the batteries from going lower, and the next day the solar panels brought them back to 100%.

The dealer replaced the converter under warranty and, after a couple of days on shore power, the AGM batteries were brought back to peak performance and retained their charge.

So this is another reason why I'm glad I have solar power.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi Members,

My name is Mark Spilsbury, and I work for Carmanah Technologies Corp. We supply the solar portion to Airstream. I just thought that if any of you have any solar related questions I'm here to help

Mark
AirSolarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Refrigerator fan switch helps

Earlier this year we were doing non-hookup camping and one night it was cold enough to use the furnace (I had forgotten to fully close a Fantastic Fan vent). The furnace also uses quite a bit of electrical power to run the fan, so our batteries were down the next morning and the day was cloudy, so it took longer for our batteries to re-charge from our solar panels.

After we got home, Larry installed a on-off toggle switch for our refrigerator fan. Now we can conserve our electrical power better by turning our refrigerator fan off at night when we are not generating power.

Larry attached an on and off toggle switch to a metal door strike and attached that to a hole on the edge of the fan with a screw and nut.

This switch also helped us maintain a better battery charge when our Parallax converter died last week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0104 Refrig fan switch.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	78670  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi SilverGate,

This is AirSolarGuy, I work for Carmanah Technologies Corp. We are actually the supplier of the solar modules to Airstream. We bought Intermountain Solar a few years back. Looks like Airstream still has not updated their manual. I will send another email about it.

Regards,

AirSolarGuy
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Taking the Plunge!

I have ordered two Lifeline batteries which should be installed in about one week. I have scheduled installation of two solar panes from the factory with the digital controller. Now all I have to do is wait and shake the moths from the checkbook.

Looking forward to less winter maintenance troubles with the batteries and more battery life while spending time in the desert off grid. I will still use the Honda gen sets for the air and days when the sun doesn't cooperate but things should be better than before.

Thanks for the information on this thread. I found it very helpful in making my decisions.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
New Install - Airstream Factory

I just had the factory in Jackson Center add the solar panel and controller to my 28' Safari SE. Judging from the fotos in this thread there may have been some changes in what units are used by the factory. Installed were a 110V panel from Carmanah and a GPR-25 Digital Controller. Attached is a link that describes the controller, http://www.thesolarstore.com/gallery/GPR_copy1.pdf

Note, there is a jumper setting to use for either sealed or flooded batteries. although not much difference in the charge rates, I did make a trip back to the factory to get it set properly to avoid any possible damage to the Lifelines. (I think only about a .3 volt difference in the charge settings.)

Looking forward to more excursions off the grid.

Corky
Old 05-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Cool "Factory Installed" ?

Just wondering if the Factory installation included factory authorized, as in dealer installed? My dealer has offered 53 watts solar with charge controller and inverter for around 2300. Does that sound reasonable, and does that sound like enough to free one from shore power with conservative use? 2007, 23 foot Safari SE-- willing to skip the AC and Microwave most of the time, like the lights and heat to be usable. Just got the trailer four months ago, so still learning what to expect.
Thanks for any feedback.
slpiotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpiotro View Post
Just wondering if the Factory installation included factory authorized, as in dealer installed? My dealer has offered 53 watts solar with charge controller and inverter for around 2300. Does that sound reasonable, and does that sound like enough to free one from shore power with conservative use?...
Factory installation means in this case that my two 53-watt solar panels were installed by the Airstream factory in Ohio at the time of the build of our 23' 2007 Safari trailer and became an integral part of it during the build (see page one of this thread for the details on the components and how the system is used and meets my needs).

I made a conscious decision to have a factory installation of solar to reduce the chance of a third party (dealer) causing leaks, dents, or other problems.

Again, if you review all of the pages in this thread, you will see that two, and I underscore two 53-watt solar panels, adequately meet our camping needs. Typically, this means that we can enjoy listening to the stereo, running two Fan-tastic fans, stove fan and light, water pump, charging cell phone and camera, etc. We usually do not turn on the LCD TV, but use a laptop to watch DVDs. You will not be able to run your AC or microwave unless you are hooked up to AC shore or generator power.

We use minimal light at night, at most the stove light and even that has been switched over to LED lighting. See more about this in the thread, "LED lighting retro-fit for interior lighting".

Also note that our camping is in southern California where we typically have abundant sunshine. On our latest trip to the beach our two AGM batteries typically went down to 85% late at night and were back to 100% at 13.5 volts by mid-to-late morning.

For you to be happy with solar, I think you will need two 53-watt panels or one 110-watt panel.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Cost is relative.

My installation included the 110 v panel and the digital controler listed in my post. Cost, around $1700 at JC. The price on the parts was competitive, the labor a little more than some. I felt it was worth it to have the factory do the install over someone that may have never wortked on an Airstream before.

Note, no inverter, so I can't relate to tell you if the $2300 asking price is good or not. I may very well pick up an inverter to power the television in the future but I do have two Honda 2000's for the airconditioner so I am not fully dependent upon the solar. Really doubt that I could be with my set up without being really frugal.

Corky
Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Just a note: I've been shopping for a small television with built-in DVD player. I've dicovered that there are ones by Toshiba, Sharp, etc. that operate via a 110v "adapter" much like a laptop power supply. And guess what? This little adapter puts out 12v DC to power the tele. ... looks to me like a simple adapter with Radio Shack parts will get me power directly from the Airstream's 12v system. Then the television is useable without shore power, generator, inverter, etc. They're also pretty low on power consumption, so won't run batteries down too fast if I want to watch a long movie, hockey game, etc.

Naturally, this won't work if you need a 54" plasma set with earthquake-simulating surround sound, etc.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
thanks for the feedback, I probably mistated, I believe the cost quote was for two 53 watt panels. I mostly want to be able to last at least four days (water runs out by then) with no hook up to shore power. In those cases, it will be just furnace, refrig, lights, water pump, and those sorts of things. Can do without music and tv, as long as I have lights to read by (2007 model 23 ft. with mostly LED lights, except for the reading lights). Thanks for the feedback.
slpiotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi Corky,

We are the provider of all the solar modules to Airstream. Just curious, did you request them to use the GP-RV-110 solar kit? Typically, Airstream installs our 50 watt solar modules. The GP-RV-110 is a great kit and will provide you with double the power.

AirSolarGuy (Mark)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
53 W vs 110W

I think it came down to the size of the trailer and how much room there is for the installation (28 ft.). We originally discussed two 53's but after they looked at the amount of room they installed the 110. It was their decision really not mine. From what I have seen so far I believe it will work out.

I have the gen sets so I am not completely at the mercy of the sun gods. What I really wanted was easier winter battery maintenance!

Corky
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #78

Boston , Massachusetts
I wish my AS came with solar panels pre-installed. I've been looking around for info to do it myself and it all looks pretty daunting. I'm going to have to learn a lot before I take the chance and buy all the parts. It's just that solar panel installers all seem to be either really expensive or don't work on vehicles, only houses. Anyone know someone in the north east that's relatively inexpensive?
sustainergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
I had a similar experience trying to find a competent installtion site in Ohio. (Not exactly a hot bed of solar activity.) Being close to the factory does have it's advantages. Even though the price tag is a little higher.

There are some Camping World locations that can handle solar installs and are educated in what you need. Maybe a local Airstream dealer that could lean on the factory for info and support. Or, how about a marine dealer or high end motor coach builder that installs solar.

In all instances my fear comes back to the integrity of the install on the aluminum roof and mounting the controller, wire runs etc. on the interior. I chose the factory over others just because they were familiar with Airstreams.

Corky
Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I have been wondering about installing solar on my 77 argosy mh.I am a full timer and have them on current mh. was thinking about trying it myself. Have some knowledge . I wasthinking of attaching the cells to a frame attached to the ribs in the mh.I have 3 cells all different dimensions. seemed liked the best way .any suggestions, any body done the work themselves.
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote