Old 10-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #295
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Airstream places a fuse on the positive terminal inside the junction box that is bonded to the under side of the panel.

Remove 4 screws and pop the cover off. The fuse should be in a weatherproof holder. Check there first.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #296
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
The fuse is good, I don't get any current flowing from the panel.

WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #297
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
The fuse is good, I don't get any current flowing from the panel.
Did you check the diodes?

If they are good, then it looks like the panel shorted and is a gonner........
Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Did you check the diodes?

If they are good, then it looks like the panel shorted and is a gonner........
Wouldn't the diodes protect against reverse polarity? Assuming they have a high enough peak reverse rating....

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #299
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Not necessarily. I've seen good diodes in bad panels. He could also have a bad connection/ wire internal internally connecting the cells.

Hard to tell without being there.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #300
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I think the problem is a dead panel due to reverse polarity because of someone crossing the positive and negative wires, sometime before I bought my AS. I didn't know about the fuse under the panel , I thought you meant the fuse on the controller. As I have already stored Belle for the winter, this will be my spring project.
Thanks.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Sun Explorer Panel Question

We have a factory installed solar panel and the Sun Explorer monitor. I have replaced the original Lifeline batteries with brand new ones. Running on house AC the Sun Explorer panel, in the battery voltage position, normally shows 12.1 to 13 volts, never more. At night the battery percentage remaining, with LED lights in the overhead, is typically 75-85%, according to the Sun Explorer panel. If I turn on a light with an incandescent bulb, the percentage will drop to 65%. If I turn off most of the lights it will rise to 90 to 95% by bedtime. By morning it will 100% and 13 volts, never more.

I don't think the converter is putting out enough, or any, DC power. I would think that when voltage is below 12.5 the converter would be at 13.2 volts or higher. I've tested the voltage with a multimeter and it matches what the Sun Explorer shows.

Is it time to replace the converter???

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #302
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
YES! It should have been replaced long ago and is primarily responsible for killing your Lifelines.

Also, the charging set points if your solar are not doing your Lifelines any favors either.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 02-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Thanks for starting the solar category.. I will post my information soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
We have a factory installed solar panel and the Sun Explorer monitor. I have replaced the original Lifeline batteries with brand new ones. Running on house AC the Sun Explorer panel, in the battery voltage position, normally shows 12.1 to 13 volts, never more. At night the battery percentage remaining, with LED lights in the overhead, is typically 75-85%, according to the Sun Explorer panel. If I turn on a light with an incandescent bulb, the percentage will drop to 65%. If I turn off most of the lights it will rise to 90 to 95% by bedtime. By morning it will 100% and 13 volts, never more.

I don't think the converter is putting out enough, or any, DC power. I would think that when voltage is below 12.5 the converter would be at 13.2 volts or higher. I've tested the voltage with a multimeter and it matches what the Sun Explorer shows.

Yes, you need to protect your Lifeline AGM batteries with at least a 3-stage converter, not with the OEM converter.

Here is how I found out:

Battery at 45% even though connected to shore power

Here is the converter that I installed that serves and protects my AGMs:

Parallax Converter Replacement with Xantrex

Not all 3-stage converters are AGM friendly:

How my Airstream lost its mojo in the carport
Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #305
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

You should probably think about replacing the factory installed Sun Explorer monitor and Atkinson Electronics solar charge controller, too. I suspected that the controller wasn't putting out the proper voltages to charge the Lifeline AGM batteries and it cannot be reprogrammed. In addition, the Sun Explorer monitor only uses voltage to calculate a percentage charged. It uses 12.8vdc as the point for 100%. See the spec sheet on the page 14:
http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/m...DM4-LC-KIT.pdf

When you place loads on the battery or the controller charges the battery, you're going to get rapidly changing values for the percentage since the voltage at the charge controller shunt is also changing.

For myself, these components' way of charging and measuring battery charge were unacceptably inaccurate. I replaced the factory charge controller with a Bogart Engineering SC-2030 combined with a TM-2030 Trimetric monitor. I also upgraded the cables to my battery, and installed a thermal breaker to the controller and on-off switch to the solar panels. It was a DIY install. I left the SunExplorer panel on the wall and it is not functional. Now I can assure the solar charging has proper voltages and accurately measure the batteries' charge. (If only I could figure out an easy way to place the Trimetric where the SunExplorer was in the galley of my 2014 27FB Eddie Bauer -- has anyone done this? Please help!)

Any of the recommended replacements on these forums would be better than the Atkinson Electronics kit. Think about replacing your charge controller and monitor if you want more accurate charging and monitoring.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #306
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
I am in the middle of a 540 watt solar installation on a 27 EB and after removing the 2 50 watt stock panels, found the Atkinson wiring in the curb side rat's nest of wires. The OEM 10 AWG solar wiring (green and yellow) terminated there as well.

The positive solar wire (too small to call a cable) was connected to the tiny solar controller with a wire nut. The red charge line from the controller then was attached to a 14 AWG fuse holder, which then went the positive bur bar.

Do you think there was just a bit of voltage drop in this system????? I am amazed that they work at all!!

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 02-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #307
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I am in the middle of a 540 watt solar installation on a 27 EB and after removing the 2 50 watt stock panels, found the Atkinson wiring in the curb side rat's nest of wires. The OEM 10 AWG solar wiring (green and yellow) terminated there as well.

The positive solar wire (too small to call a cable) was connected to the tiny solar controller with a wire nut. The red charge line from the controller then was attached to a 14 AWG fuse holder, which then went the positive bur bar.

Do you think there was just a bit of voltage drop in this system????? I am amazed that they work at all!!

Lew Farber
No kidding! I had the same experience and found the wiring hub to be confusing and terrible. They used a wire nut to connect the 10awg positive solar wire from the roof to the permanently-affixed 14awg lead coming off the Atkinson charge controller. There was also a 10 amp inline fuse.

I disconnected the factory install WFCO inverter which had its own 6awg cables to the batteries. Rather than using the bus bar as originally installed, I used one of the 6awg cables to connect the new solar controller positive side directly to the batteries. A negative 6awg goes to the shunt.

Next step will be to run new cables to the roof and add more panels. Last step will be to re-install a better inverter with an upgraded set of cables to the batteries.

Now if I could only figure out how to install the Magnum inverter/charger and eliminate the Parallax from charging..... Anybody have any good pictures of upgraded installs with a magnum inverter/charger?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebee View Post
No kidding! I had the same experience and found the wiring hub to be confusing and terrible. They used a wire nut to connect the 10awg positive solar wire from the roof to the permanently-affixed 14awg lead coming off the Atkinson charge controller. There was also a 10 amp inline fuse.

I disconnected the factory install WFCO inverter which had its own 6awg cables to the batteries. Rather than using the bus bar as originally installed, I used one of the 6awg cables to connect the new solar controller positive side directly to the batteries. A negative 6awg goes to the shunt.

Next step will be to run new cables to the roof and add more panels. Last step will be to re-install a better inverter with an upgraded set of cables to the batteries.

Now if I could only figure out how to install the Magnum inverter/charger and eliminate the Parallax from charging..... Anybody have any good pictures of upgraded installs with a magnum inverter/charger?

If you go to handybob'ssolarblog and look under his 2014 solar ideas, batteries, there is a good picture of the magnum installed for a small full time trailer.

George