Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
No pictures yet. I can say the standard system (looks a lot like Silver gates)is to small for the 31 and it batteries. I have been looking at adding two more panels. The charge controller can handle it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglickfarms
I am remodeling a '72 Overlander. Are the solar panels something you can install yourself or does it need to be done at a dealer?
Hi DogLick... I personally would not want to tackle the installation of the solar panels because I simply don't feel qualified. However, if you are handy enough in such matters and understand the schematics, I don't see why you couldn't, especially if you were doing it as part of a remodel.

Our Bambi only has one panel up top, as there isn't a whole lot of real estate up there...it's mounted in front of the AC unit. I would guess that the larger the coach the more panels you'd want because the power demand would be larger, but again, I am not the one to answer that aspect either.

So what good am I? I'm enthusiastic..does that count??

Happy Solar Trails,
TB

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Thanks, TB… and a Special Thank you for posting the two pdf files containing the manufacturer’s operating and maintenance instructions…SilverGate
You're welcome! I'm llooking forward to seeing what everyone else can add.

TB
Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglickfarms
I am remodeling a '72 Overlander. Are the solar panels something you can install yourself or does it need to be done at a dealer?
If you can remodel a '72 Overlander then you can install solar panels. It really isn't that hard as long as you have someone to hold the panels in place while you mark where you want them and then anchor them to the roof. Do a search on "AM Solar SunRunner 100/22 Install" and you will see that it is not that hard to do. There are steps you need to take in specific order especially when wiring up your solar controller to battery and panels. I have been happy with my 3 panel system and it has worked without fail.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
...Our Bambi only has one panel up top, as there isn't a whole lot of real estate up there...it's mounted in front of the AC unit. TB
One area many people seem to forget is the top of the A/C. I've seen one picture of a panel mounted on the A/C shroud and it looked like either a 30 or 40 watt panel.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great thread!

I have the factory installed solar package. It's the 53 watt panel w/two AGM batteries. So far, it's worked flawlessly at keeping the batteries topped off when the conditions are right. We boondocked for three beautiful days last fall, and used the lights and electronics sparingly. We watched a little television/DVD each night using a 400 watt voltage inverter, used the laptop for 2-3 hours daily on a 12 volt charger plugged into the lighter type outlet, and occasionally ran the Fantastic fan. The heater kicked on for a while one night as well. If I recall, the lowest the batteries dropped was down to 75%. During the day, we turned everything off, including the subwoofer, which is wired direct and is constantly on unless unplugged, and the panel got the batteries back up to 100% by noon.

Because there's very little room left on the roof of the Bambi, I was considering adding a stand-alone panel like this:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Factory Installed Solar Charging System

I hope this is the proper way to add to the discussion.

My 2006 Safari LS 23 foot had a factory installed solar panel. It was never wired to the batteries or connected from the factory. The Safari is prewired up to the lower refrigerator exterior access door, so the RV tech drilled a hole in the roof, ran a wire behind the microwave, along the back of the refrigerator and made the connection with a fuse. When you are a first time trailer owner, the learning curve had been steep trying to figure out why something does not operate. The solar panel operated fine since that experience.

One thing I have noticed is our batteries may not be holding the charge as well as they should. They are the sealed, add no water, batteries (sorry, not able to get name where I am at) and the 100% charge seems to drop to 65% in the evening, with only moderate use. I suspect that the irregular gravel roads on our western travels might have caused lead debris to fall between the plates and some are shorted. (?) Just curious. We will run the radio, a reading light and early evening the Magic Fan vent.

Also... My white vent cover for the rear broke on this trip while parked. The solar panel was installed so close to the vent bracket that I had to use all of my mechanical ability to reinstall the new lid, before I broke it trying to install it. There is plenty of space towards the air conditioner so it is advised that the panel be moved closer to the air conditioner. Reason: You cannot get the replacement lid attached, easily, unless you can attach it at a 90 degree angle, rather than the 30 degree I had to cautiously work with...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
One thing I have noticed is our batteries may not be holding the charge as well as they should. They are the sealed, add no water, batteries (sorry, not able to get name where I am at) and the 100% charge seems to drop to 65% in the evening, with only moderate use. I suspect that the irregular gravel roads on our western travels might have caused lead debris to fall between the plates and some are shorted. (?) Just curious. We will run the radio, a reading light and early evening the Magic Fan vent.
Thanks for your post, Ray... 65% doesn't seem out of line to me...but it got me thinking, and I'm not sure what one can expect to be "normal" reduction of battery % for an evening. We haven't dry camped enough to get a sense of it. The one time we did rely on the batteries, we used the power as we normally would (except no AC, Micro, etc, of course)...but we had the lights on, the fantastic fan going and either the CD player or the TV (on the inverter), followed by a 2 hour movie...we didn't skimp on use and the batteries went down to 65% I believe... I thought that was not unreasonable... We moved on to another campfround the next day, hitting the road about 11 am and I believe by the time we got to the next stop about 2 PM we were at 100% again.

Can anyone give us a sense of what an expected % of battery drain can be expected during an evening with moderate to high power use? And at what point have we reached critical mass? And how quickly we can expect to recover to 100%..(a) on 1 53 watt solar in sunny conditions...and (b) charging while in tow?

Happy Solar Trails,
TB
Old 08-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
How many batteries do you have? One or Two?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
How many batteries do you have? One or Two?
Michelle...we have 2 12-volts, sealed...

TB

PS: Born & raised in Meridian, ID, just west of Boise. Haven't been back in nearly a million years.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #25

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
DRawing down from 100 to 65% seems a little high if you have to batteries. What are ALL your loads? I can "boondock" for on night using the furnace and only get down to 75%.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
DRawing down from 100 to 65% seems a little high if you have to batteries. What are ALL your loads? I can "boondock" for on night using the furnace and only get down to 75%.
Thanks, Michelle...I will keep an eye on the consumption numbers and record the loads being used...then if I feel like it's going too deep in the reserves I will have it checked out. We haven't had enough boondocking experience yet to reallly have a sense of what is "normal" use for us or if it's behaving as it should...and my guess is that we were really not being very conservative in our power uses. I appreciate your input! We need to do more dry camping!!

TB
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #27
_

. , .
tbrich and ray...

IF you've got the factory installed solar package the batteries should be these agms...

Lifeline Marine Batteries - AGM Marine Battery & AGM RV Battery

no liquid/lead to 'shake' loose. these batteries can be mounted upside DOWN!

and most agms can be safely discharged to 30-40% without harm...

the f.s.p works fine.

it's expensive for what is included, but the upside is they thought it out and did the work.

ANY of the popular rv solar vendors can put together a better package for ya...

i use both the f.s.p and a genset ...

tbrich...

you really need to do an 'energy audit' to understand how much juice is used in your typical day...

this thread touches on that topic in post # 5

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tors-3978.html

many of the solar vendors have a printout you can use, sort of like a net worth statement...

most folks don't want to run through the rather tedious 'amp accounting' process...

there is a ton of very specific solar info already posted here and the usual 'pieintheskysolarstuff too...

search member name 'roadkingmoe' who has many many many excellent posts on 'solar'

david tidmore also has some good solar info in these threads (dtbw)

here are a few to start ya....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...lar-11082.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...vice-3511.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f197...tion-2084.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ing-11634.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...kage-7066.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...bank-9771.html

the average family will consume 80-100 amp/hours per day,

while 2-53 watt panels will provide up to 30 a/h per day under ideal conditions...

so if ya have solar and really wanna extend your boondocking time, increase the battery bank to 4 so as to have more capacity

this will provide about 240 usable a/h, while adding 130lbs to the trailer..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks a bunch, 2air'...this is very helpful and the threads you list are informative as well...looks like lots of folks have been down this road, so I will continue doing the research... And I think we need to do more dry camping to see the reality of our needs...I'm sure actual experience in these things is a great teacher...

I would hope that the factory installed solar systems would be robust enough to meet basic needs, but I won't know that until we experiment more.

TB