Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Factory Installed Solar Charging System

There aren’t that many of us who have Solar Panels, Charge Controller, and Display System installed by the Airstream Factory during the build of the trailer.

We, who have them, think they’re great! This system allows us to camp quietly in areas without an electrical hook-up, minimizing the worry about draining the battery too low, and minimizing and/or eliminating the need for a generator…. For example in the Anza-Borrego Desert, CA:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396/silvergates-safari-home-last-29471-9.html

This thread is for those who either have an Airstream Factory-installed Solar Charging System, or who are considering this option in their Factory Trailer Build Order.

Please share information, photos, issues, ideas and experiences about your factory-installed Solar Charging System. I also invite others who have a solar charging system, especially with the same components as the factory-installed system, to share information.

Please note - This is not a thread for the discussion of generators, which can be found elsewhere on the Forums.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
So let’s start…

(But first a disclaimer: I am not an electrician or an engineer. If I misspeak about anything in this thread, please feel free to post what you think is correct.)

Below is a photo of our two Solar Panels installed by the Airstream Factory on our 2007 23’ Safari SE. Note that the electrical wires from the Solar Panels enter the trailer through the street-side roof and (I’ve read) go down to a harness behind the exterior refrigerator access door. The Airstream Owners Manual states that the wires from the solar panels are connected to the green and yellow wires of the pre-wire system at this point and portable solar panel wires can also be attached here (accessed through the exterior refrigerator access door). But when I opened this access door, I did not readily see the yellow and green wires or where to attach portable panel wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panels Streetside.jpg
Views:	4125
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	43950  
Old 08-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The limited information that I have is contained in my Airstream Owners Manual for the Safari (p. G-10 as seen below). The manual states that Airstream Travel Trailers are pre-wired for an Intermountain Solar Technology Solar Panel/Charge Controller/Display System. The owner’s instruction manual for the solar charging system was not included in my Airstream delivery case. I am in the process of contacting the solar manufacturer to obtain this information. I think they are now called AEE Solar, which has the same phone number: 800-671-0169.

If anyone possesses the solar charging system owner’s instruction manual, please post the manual’s main points (for example, the cleaning/care for the solar panels) on this thread and/or contact me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Factory Installed Solar Power System (AS Manual).jpg
Views:	3475
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	43954  
Old 08-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
(BTW, click on the above diagram to enlarge it).

The yellow and green electrical wires then bring the solar generated amps to the Charge Controller – Buss Bar Area in the inside front trailer area, seen and accessed under the L-Lounge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1130 Electrical area under L-Lounge.jpg
Views:	1723
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	43957   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1122 Charge Controller-Buss Bar Area.jpg
Views:	1726
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	43958  

Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey SilverGate...Looks like a nice relaxing weekend was had by all out in the middle of nowhere....

We have a 2006 19' Bambi SE LS with a factory solar panel, charge controler and display panel. It's great, though when we first got the unit, we were getting no readings at all on the display panel...back to the dealer we went...seems there was a wiring problem with the panel up on top, so it wasn't charging properly. We haven't relied on the solar power too much as yet...just a couple of times so far, but we are looking forward to lonelier, quieter places as time marches on....and since we're in AZ, there's plenty of sun to do the magic!

One thing I'd recommend to anyone getting this equipment...read the manuals and information and ask all the questions you need to of the dealer or seller so that you understand the display readings, etc...and experiment at home with it before you actually plan to use it on the road...just to make sure it is functioning properly...and to get a feel for the amount of charge you can expect and how long that will last you. The few times we have relied on the solar panel, we were pleased with the performance...we had the power we needed...

Thanks for starting this thread...looking forward to what others have to say/report...the more we know the better it goes.

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The Charge Controller is made by Zettler and has "25 amp shunt" marked on its side.

It is part # AZ971E-1C-12 DE. It is the black box with a yellow wire and has light indicators showing if the battery is charging, full, partial, or low. (My battery is currently is full, as I am hooked up to shore power at home).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1125 Zettler Charge Controller.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	43959   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1127a Zettler Charge Controller (cropped).jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	43960  

Old 08-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
When the Charge Controller detects that the battery needs charging, it shunts solar generated amps to the two LIFELINE AGM (Glass Matt) Batteries, also installed with the Solar Package Option by the Airstream Factory. (These batteries never need water to be added… again, one less worry)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1120 LIFELINE AGM Batteries.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	43961  
Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The Panel Display shows the status of the battery in % Remaining, and in Volts. It also can display the Solar Charge Amps currently being produced as well as a running total in amp/hrs.

At the bottom of the panel display is printed SUNEXPLORER TM. I would like more information about this component.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1117 Panel of Monitors.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	43962   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1119 Solar Panel Display.jpg
Views:	1598
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	43963  

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I utilize this Panel Display frequently while camping at non-hook-up sites and keep a daily log of the status of the battery and Solar amps produced. This has helped us get to know and understand our trailer’s electrical life and rhythms.

We have learned that we can comfortably run the two Fantastic Fans, stove light and exhaust fan while cooking breakfast, and listen to the stereo without causing a significant battery power drain. If the battery voltage does drop a bit during the peak usage (during morning meal preparation and dish washing), it rebounds to 100% by mid-morning in sunny Calif.

From postings on this Forum, we learned not to use the microwave oven unless we have a 20 amp electrical hook-up or the AC, which requires a 30 amp electrical hook-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1134a Solar Power Trip Notes.jpg
Views:	1513
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	43964  
Old 08-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
It’s a good idea when ordering the Solar Charging System Package Option to also order the Full Awning Package. The awnings help to keep the trailer cooler.

BTW, the inverter was also a good option that allows us to re-charge our 2-way radios, and watch the LCD if we wanted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full Awning Package.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	43965  
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
So now it’s your turn…

If you have an Airstream with the factory-installed Solar Charging System, please share your experience, notes, information, and ideas here.

Others who are seriously interested in this system or have similar components of this system are also encouraged to share information.

Also, if you have in-depth knowledge about any of the system components, please share the information here.

SilverGate
Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
hartsville , Tennessee
I am remodeling a '72 Overlander. Are the solar panels something you can install yourself or does it need to be done at a dealer?
doglickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
SilverGate...

I do apologize for making my earlier post (post #5) right in the middle of your most excellent introductory info...I didn't know you were continuing with more posts... Perhaps a moderator can move my post #5 to a postion after your final intro post (#11) so your intro is uninterupted?

The AS manual that came with our unit (2006 19' Bambi) also references Intermountain Solar Technology Solar Panel/Charge Controller/Display System on the same page, but the info I have for the actual solar panel indicates the panel manufacturer as BP Solar... A PDF of "General Information" is attached below...it offers some info about handling/use/maintenance, etc. The full insert has electrical connection schematics, etc.

We also have an operating and installation instruction booklet for the Sunexplorer Charge Controller/Display Kit. Also below is a PDF of the pages showing user instructions and trouble shooting, which helps one understand the operation of the display panel, and gives some trouble shooting hints. The full booklet has electrial schematics, etc. The manufacturer is Atkinson Electronics, Atkinson Electronics, Inc....

Hope this is helpful!
TB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BP Solar Panel #1x.pdf (209.9 KB, 1453 views)
File Type: pdf Sunexplorer Booklet_User.pdf (181.0 KB, 2012 views)
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Thanks for starting this thread...looking forward to what others have to say/report...the more we know the better it goes.

TB
Thanks, TB… and a Special Thank you for posting the two pdf files containing the manufacturer’s operating and maintenance instructions…

Just what I needed… and just what we need to do build on our information base!

As you say "the more we know, the better it goes".

Last night I sent private messages to at least six others here on the forums who have the factory-installed solar system, inviting them to contribute their experiences, ideas, and information so that we can build on our knowledge base… Hopefully they will respond!

Thanks again,

SilverGate
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
No pictures yet. I can say the standard system (looks a lot like Silver gates)is to small for the 31 and it batteries. I have been looking at adding two more panels. The charge controller can handle it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglickfarms
I am remodeling a '72 Overlander. Are the solar panels something you can install yourself or does it need to be done at a dealer?
Hi DogLick... I personally would not want to tackle the installation of the solar panels because I simply don't feel qualified. However, if you are handy enough in such matters and understand the schematics, I don't see why you couldn't, especially if you were doing it as part of a remodel.

Our Bambi only has one panel up top, as there isn't a whole lot of real estate up there...it's mounted in front of the AC unit. I would guess that the larger the coach the more panels you'd want because the power demand would be larger, but again, I am not the one to answer that aspect either.

So what good am I? I'm enthusiastic..does that count??

Happy Solar Trails,
TB
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Thanks, TB… and a Special Thank you for posting the two pdf files containing the manufacturer’s operating and maintenance instructions…SilverGate
You're welcome! I'm llooking forward to seeing what everyone else can add.

TB
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglickfarms
If you can remodel a '72 Overlander then you can install solar panels. It really isn't that hard as long as you have someone to hold the panels in place while you mark where you want them and then anchor them to the roof. Do a search on "AM Solar SunRunner 100/22 Install" and you will see that it is not that hard to do. There are steps you need to take in specific order especially when wiring up your solar controller to battery and panels. I have been happy with my 3 panel system and it has worked without fail.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
...Our Bambi only has one panel up top, as there isn't a whole lot of real estate up there...it's mounted in front of the AC unit. TB
One area many people seem to forget is the top of the A/C. I've seen one picture of a panel mounted on the A/C shroud and it looked like either a 30 or 40 watt panel.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great thread!

I have the factory installed solar package. It's the 53 watt panel w/two AGM batteries. So far, it's worked flawlessly at keeping the batteries topped off when the conditions are right. We boondocked for three beautiful days last fall, and used the lights and electronics sparingly. We watched a little television/DVD each night using a 400 watt voltage inverter, used the laptop for 2-3 hours daily on a 12 volt charger plugged into the lighter type outlet, and occasionally ran the Fantastic fan. The heater kicked on for a while one night as well. If I recall, the lowest the batteries dropped was down to 75%. During the day, we turned everything off, including the subwoofer, which is wired direct and is constantly on unless unplugged, and the panel got the batteries back up to 100% by noon.

Because there's very little room left on the roof of the Bambi, I was considering adding a stand-alone panel like this:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote