Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Brookfield , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 58
EU2000i Honda - Defective Spark Plug Caps

This story might save some headaches for anyone with a new Honda EU2000i Propane or gas.

I bought a new Honda EU2000i from GENCONNEX (converted to propane) back in August. I hooked it up to the Airstream the day I got it and it ran flawlessly.

last weekend I brought it up to a secluded spot in ME (without the airstream) and tried to run it off of a 20 lb propane tank. It started and ran for 4 or 5 seconds then sputtered and stopped. I tried another propane tank and the same thing. I thought it might be a defective regulator on the hose that was sent with the generator.

When I got home I hooked it back up to the Airstream and it does the same thing. Runs for 4 or 5 seconds then sputters out and dies.

So I emailed GECONNEX this Sunday morning and within two hours they replied:

"Hi, Sorry to hear you’re having troubles with your new Honda but we may have the answer.

Honda has just announced a service bulletin for defective spark plug caps and this sounds just like the problem they describe. Basically, the metal ring inside the spark plug boot that makes contact with the top of the spark plug was made out of tolerance so it’s not making good contact to plug.

The quick fix is to open the top door to get access to the spark plug, pull the plug/boot straight up to disconnect it from the spark plug. Then peel off the outer soft rubber gasket from the hard plastic spark plug connector to get access to the metal ring down inside. Take needle nose pliers or a small screw driver and gently pry the edge of the ring in one spot in slightly so it in effect creates a tighter fit onto the metal top of the plug. Push the soft rubber round gasket back onto the hard plastic boot and re-seat fully onto the plug. You should feel some resistance and a click when in finally seats all the way. Put cover back on and start normally.

Hope this helps,
Gary"

I performed the "quick fix" and now it runs like a charm again. Can't say enough good about GECONNEX!

So just a heads up

Larry
__________________

devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
robert@honda's Avatar
 
Alpharetta , Georgia
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 86
Here's the official Service Bulletin from Honda...triple check your serial number, as not every unit will require the repair.

• Note this issue affects a few of the the industrial EB2000i and smaller EU1000i models as well.

• New units in-stock at dealers are flagged with a green sticker on the carton, and a blade witness mark 'Sharpie Dot' under the spark plug access door...

• Normal warranty policy applies. Somewhat moot, as the oldest unit (serial number 1623182) was sold less than 12 months ago, so that pretty much guarantees the rest of the batch is well within their 36 month warranty.





__________________

__________________
- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
dasams's Avatar
 
Palm Desert , California
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
• Normal warranty policy applies.
Hi Robert:

I have an affected unit. What should I do to get it repaired? I'm happy to do the work but will Honda supply the part?

Thanks, Dave
__________________
2006 Cayenne S with V8, air suspension, factory tow
2018 FC 27 FB
2017 FC 25 RB Gone
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
robert@honda's Avatar
 
Alpharetta , Georgia
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Hi Robert:

I have an affected unit. What should I do to get it repaired? I'm happy to do the work but will Honda supply the part?

Thanks, Dave
In order for the warranty system to 'pay' for the repair, it must be done by a Honda dealer. It is a quick fix, and most shops will do it while you wait. Find a dealer in your area using this search tool; when you contact them, tell them you have an EU2000i with symptoms described in Generator Service Bulletin #56. As this bulletin was just released, some dealers are not yet aware of it, so they may need to pull a copy and get up to speed. Honda has plenty of service parts, but your dealer may not have any in-stock. In such a case, it might work best to discuss the problem/bulletin, then schedule a day/time to bring it in when they have the replacement part.

Find A Honda Dealer
__________________
- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Liberty , Missouri
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 19
Thank you very much.
Sgtlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,069
Robert@Honda,

Nice to see the personal touch with info to assist owners.

Sorry, don't own a 2000. Mines a EU3000is😎

So far so good but hasn't had a full work out yet, just some trial runs.

Gary
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
In order for the warranty system to 'pay' for the repair, it must be done by a Honda dealer. It is a quick fix, and most shops will do it while you wait. Find a dealer in your area using this search tool; when you contact them, tell them you have an EU2000i with symptoms described in Generator Service Bulletin #56. As this bulletin was just released, some dealers are not yet aware of it, so they may need to pull a copy and get up to speed. Honda has plenty of service parts, but your dealer may not have any in-stock. In such a case, it might work best to discuss the problem/bulletin, then schedule a day/time to bring it in when they have the replacement part.

Find A Honda Dealer

Thank you the information. Just to confirm, we are not able to request the replacement parts and repair ourselves? The unit have to repaired by an authorized dealer?
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
robert@honda's Avatar
 
Alpharetta , Georgia
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabney0315 View Post
Thank you the information. Just to confirm, we are not able to request the replacement parts and repair ourselves? The unit have to repaired by an authorized dealer?
Correct. Honda's 'system' requires an authorized Honda dealer to make the repair, and there's no method/path to allow a customer to make the repair (and be covered by warranty). I would dearly love for this to change, especially for such a simple repair like this, but the current system just won't permit this....
__________________
- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
courtenay , BC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
devilsbox

This story did save headaches for someone with a new Honda EU2000i gas generator. He and his wife live remote on an island 25 miles west of Ketchikan Alaska. They use a Honda 2k generator for all their power purposes. The old generator got long in the tooth so he bought a brand new one and flew home with it on a beaver floatplane. The generator refused to operate properly no matter what tricks he tried to make it work. He flew back to Ketchikan with the generator and Honda bench tested it and said it was fine. Flew back home with the generator and it would not run properly again. His remote site has no phone, no internet, and only the Honda generator for power. What to do?
He is a ham radio operator and we frequently communicate by radio when the atmosphere permits. He passed on his generator problems which have been ongoing for about a month. I continued to search the internet on his behalf looking for similar situations and finally ran across your post on a quick fix for the generator. I am happy to say that he used this technique to repair his generator and it now is functioning as it should. On behalf of he and his wife please accept their gratitude for taking the time to post your fix which kept the lights on in their cabin and the venison in their freezer frozen.
Robert Mutter, Courtenay B.C. Canada
Scona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Brookfield , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scona View Post
This story did save headaches for someone with a new Honda EU2000i gas generator. He and his wife live remote on an island 25 miles west of Ketchikan Alaska. They use a Honda 2k generator for all their power purposes. The old generator got long in the tooth so he bought a brand new one and flew home with it on a beaver floatplane. The generator refused to operate properly no matter what tricks he tried to make it work. He flew back to Ketchikan with the generator and Honda bench tested it and said it was fine. Flew back home with the generator and it would not run properly again. His remote site has no phone, no internet, and only the Honda generator for power. What to do?
He is a ham radio operator and we frequently communicate by radio when the atmosphere permits. He passed on his generator problems which have been ongoing for about a month. I continued to search the internet on his behalf looking for similar situations and finally ran across your post on a quick fix for the generator. I am happy to say that he used this technique to repair his generator and it now is functioning as it should. On behalf of he and his wife please accept their gratitude for taking the time to post your fix which kept the lights on in their cabin and the venison in their freezer frozen.
Robert Mutter, Courtenay B.C. Canada
I'm very happy that the post helped your friend. I called a Honda dealer to get a new spark plug cap 2 weeks ago and have not heard back yet. I'm going to give it another week and then try another dealer.

BTW We plan to be out your way next fall when, after our visit to Alaska, we traverse the Sea To Sky Highway.

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,626
So - one added bit of info. We struggled with our unit, just as the OP did. A few months ago we got a letter that contained a new jet to replace the 4000 ft elevation jet if our unit was fitted with the wrong jet as others were. That confused the problem identification as the jet issue was supposed to act like a bad spark plug. The spitting and sputtering seemed to match that problem. It was difficult to start and missed a lot when it did run. Would not run on eco-mode.

On Sunday, Genconnex Sales answered my e-mail request for info and provided the field fix. However, tightening the cap contact got us only about 30 minutes of run time before it would loosen to the point the problem returned. Could run Eco-mode for about 15 minutes and then had to go off Eco to keep it running. After about an hour of run time, it needed the cap contact tweaked again to get it to run.

Not nearly the problem the folks above had, but a pain for most of the weekend. It also was an im position on all the other folks who had to listen to a loud Honda instead of a nice quiet one.

So - don't just field fix it - get a new cap installed, so the problem does not return.

We appreciated the Genconnex Sales contact Sunday response. That info made a world of difference for the next two days. Wish I had see this thread a month ago.

Thanks for posting the service bulletin. Now I have a next step. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,626
Status update

Contacted local Honda dealer. They maintain that the Honda warranty policy is to prohibit any warranty work on a generator that has been converted to propane. They can't even check the unit into their system.

GenConnex has been quite supportive. Provided field fix instructions and is sending a replacement cap. Evidently the only option to have the problem repaired is to send the unit back to GenConnex, which they will do if that is your preference.

Did not ask if the local dealer would fix at my expense. They will sell a new cap for $12, but have to order the part.

This is a major mistake on Honda's part. Having a quality problem happens. Locking long term customers out of the solution is a real mistake. Have a complaint in to them. We'll see if there is a reasonable response. Maybe I have it all wrong. Never expected this from Honda.

Hope you all are well served by your dealers. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Brookfield , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Status update

Contacted local Honda dealer. They maintain that the Honda warranty policy is to prohibit any warranty work on a generator that has been converted to propane. They can't even check the unit into their system.

GenConnex has been quite supportive. Provided field fix instructions and is sending a replacement cap. Evidently the only option to have the problem repaired is to send the unit back to GenConnex, which they will do if that is your preference.

Did not ask if the local dealer would fix at my expense. They will sell a new cap for $12, but have to order the part.

This is a major mistake on Honda's part. Having a quality problem happens. Locking long term customers out of the solution is a real mistake. Have a complaint in to them. We'll see if there is a reasonable response. Maybe I have it all wrong. Never expected this from Honda.

Hope you all are well served by your dealers. Pat
My EU2000i is at a Honda dealer now. They said they would take care of it. Guess I'll find out for sure when I pick it up.

Stay tooned

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
rbs
4 Rivet Member
 
rbs's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 387
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 3
Honda Service

I also have the Honda EU2000 and have experienced the "fail" to start, messed with the spark plug wire and have it fire right up. My problem is finding a close Sevice Center, the ones listed close to me don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so not real confidence inspiring. My solution is to order the $7 part, install myself and go down the road. Honda, you really do need to make an effort to insure that your "Service Centers" listed are up to snuff. Service is our main criteria for a purchase.
__________________

rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portable Generator Sound Levels: One Honda EU2000i vs. Two Paralleled Honda EU2000i AndyPenny Generators & Solar Power 19 06-05-2017 03:04 PM
Honda EU2000i won't start NO Spark sommay Generators & Solar Power 10 06-07-2010 01:35 PM
Ford spark plug problem? AnnieD Tow Vehicles 10 12-24-2009 09:28 PM
1975 Argosy MH 454 proper spark plug gap? cejohnsonjr Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 2 04-21-2006 10:17 PM
Burning Spark Plug Wires geodude1958 Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 10 07-10-2005 07:58 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.