Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Life of equipment

Generally speaking, anything run by a fuel powered engine, should not be loaded more than 80 percent, especially a generator.

To do so, will shorten it's life considerable.

The posted charts bear that out.

Even electric motors have a much better chance at longevity, when they are not used at 100 percent of their ratings.

What many owners fail to bring into the generator rating picture, is "ALL" the demand that is placed on it.

Post after post talks about the generator rating that's needed for their AC, but they must also "ADD" to that demand, the Univolt current requirements, even at standby, let alone recharging the battery/batteries.

Also remember, that every fuel fed engine, has a "coasting" range. When that is exceeded, the fuel consumption rate rapidly increases. Compare it to your tow vehicle operation.

To properly calaulate a generator power output rating, all the current demands, "MUST" be considered, that could be on at the same time.

Once you have that total, then multiply that by 125 percent.

That will give you the rating a generator should have, considering longevity, and your personal electrical power requirements.

Andy

Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Below are two items...The first is from the Honda EU2000i online specs showing the max output (2000w) and sustained (rated) power (1600w) produced...

The second is from the Honda EU2000i brochure which gives powers needed, both starting (2800w) and sustained running (1800w) for an RV 13.5 BTU AC as well as other appliances, etc.

This is why we don't run our 13.5 BTU AC with our single 2000w Honda.
I've been looking at generators for a while. Those specs are really helpful and explain a lot. Thank You!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
_

. , .
the duo therm 13.5 and 15,000 have basically the same power requirements...

the extra btu-z come from larger cooling coils/fins primarily (with more coolant) and a tad larger fan cage.

reports that "mine works!" are useless without stating the AC unit involved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_specifications.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	108325

according to the specs PROVIDED BY the AIR CONDITIONER MANUFACTURER...

3500 watts is needed for their largest units...

and that's at sea level, optimally tuned, good fuel and so on.

no doubt dometic and honda are in cahoots with the militaryindustrialpetrochemical companies...

or maybe they've just determined what is REASONABLE based on safety/longevity and so on...

easily 1/2 the folks discussing USING a genset for AC,

have no idea WHAT AC is on their trailer...

it might be wise to start there.
________

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Below are two items...The first is from the Honda EU2000i online specs showing the max output (2000w) and sustained (rated) power (1600w) produced...

The second is from the Honda EU2000i brochure which gives powers needed, both starting (2800w) and sustained running (1800w) for an RV 13.5 BTU AC as well as other appliances, etc.

This is why we don't run our 13.5 BTU AC with our single 2000w Honda.
Common lets get real here. Honda clearly says "approximate values". If you have one of the older model AC's. That's your problem. Calculating wattage is not rocket science. Watts=Amps x voltage. My Carrier starts @13.6 amps and runs @ 9.8 - 10.4 amps, measured with my ampmeter, well within Hondas specs. My overload light has never flikered.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Common lets get real here. Honda clearly says "approximate values". If you have one of the older model AC's. That's your problem. Calculating wattage is not rocket science. Watts=Amps x voltage. My Carrier starts @13.6 amps and runs @ 9.8 - 10.4 amps, measured with my ampmeter, well within Hondas specs. My overload light has never flikered.
Of course all the numbers are "approximate" because there are so many variables, as 2Air points out ... the total loads, altitude, generator health, etc, etc all come into play... But I'm happy taking the manufacturer's word for it.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Carrier AC

The following is Carriers AC chart.

This chart is based on a standard day.

As ambient temperatures increase, so does the currect draw.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carrier.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	108401  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We just purchased two Honda EU2000i generators to run our air conditioner. Before plugging in our Airstream, I plugged in the three-light circuit tester; and the red light and one yellow light came on, instead of the two yellow lights, indicating the hot and neutral are reversed on the generators.

Is this normal, and is it safe to use like this? It seems hard to believe that Honda wired two generators wrong.

Thanks in advance for your responses...
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
...Is this normal, and is it safe to use like this? It seems hard to believe that Honda wired two generators wrong...
this thread OR the linked threads inside may help...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-67263.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Thanks for the link. This one seemed the most helpful: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...not-42337.html

While re-reading the owners manual, I found the same text about "If the generator is tested with a receptacle tester, it will not show the same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle"; and I was hoping that an electrician would explain in lay terms what this means. It eludes to an error condition like a ground fault might be OK, but I was hoping an "expert" would set my mind at ease.

BryanL and Motoman seem the most knowledgeable on this subject, and I think their explanations make me more confident in just plugging our Airstream into the Hondas. However, it's surprising how many other conflicting opinions there were on this subject. I have worked a little with home AC circuits, and a lot more with auto, boat and RV 12-volt wiring; and I have a background in military and commercial electronics. However, I readily admit I know nothing about Honda portable generators and inverter circuits, other than they generate enough voltage and current to electrocute you.

Again, thanks for the link...

================

FYI:

Legend for IDEAL-Sperry Outlet Circuit Tester, Model 61-500

RED|YEL|YEL
OFF|ON_|OFF = Open ground
OFF|OFF|ON_ = Open neutral
OFF|OFF|OFF = Open hot
ON_|OFF|ON_ = Hot/Ground reversed
ON_|ON_|OFF = Hot/Neutral reversed - Evidently this is OK for Honda generators (?)
OFF|ON_|ON_ = Correct

===========

ON_|ON_|OFF = Honda EU2000i

Note: Sorry the table above is a little crude, but this site doesn't allow the use of tabs or tables.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Looks like I grabbed the wrong link. This one works: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...not-42337.html

Helpful info is on page 2.