Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
EU2000 Overload Warning Light

Have new EU2000 companion generators. Since only using LED lights and stereo, I hooked up the single unit and plugged the 30 amp plug into the generator with ECO mode ON. Why does the overload warning light come on until turning the ECO mode OFF?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Most likely, it should not. You do have more things going on then what you think. When you applied AC power your converter powered on charging the battery(s) and your refrigerator probably switched from gas to AC mode.

If you run with eco off for a while and then back on, does it overload? Your new gen might have a problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
Thanks will have to try running for awhile then switching to Eco.

I don't understand what Overload means in the context of the generator? Does it mean the generator cannot supply enough power to demand in Eco setting, shouldn't it adjust to demand?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
In Eco mode the engine runs just fast enough to supply the amount of current that is demanded. When the demand for current increases, the engine speeds up to meet that demand. If the demand is too great or the engine can not speed up quickly enough, the generator output is shut off and the overload LED comes on.

It sounds like yours is not speeding up quick enough.

Richard

Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
are you running the water heater on gas or electric? the water heater uses about 1300-1400 WATTS.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Check your owners manual to be sure but as I recall, they say that if the light comes on for less than 4 seconds and goes off this is ok. I do recall it says that some AC motors cause the light to come on and go off regardless of the actual overload condition and is normal. I know that when I plug a saw into into mine the light comes on and goes off in a couple seconds. The saw pulls a lot less than the rated amperage so I know it isn't overloading the generator.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My guess is that you may have been starting up with the water heater switched on in electric mode. I have the same generator and a 28' 2012 Int'l. If I startup my Honda 2000 with too many electrical consumers on the generator will lug and shut down. Simply turning off as many devices as I can (particularly the high load bunch), then letting the generator warm up with ECO off.....and then once it's warm and operating, switch it to ECO and you should be fine. If not, I'd go to your dealer for service.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you have an electric water heater and it's being used that's probably the culprit since it requires more watts. If that is NOT the case, I'd have he generator checked. We have never had either of our 2000w Hondas shut down the way you describe, even when running a small microwave with all the normal loads (frig, lights, etc) on as well ...but we do not have an electric water heater.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
The EU2000 doesn't shut-down. In Eco mode the overload light comes on and the generator continues to run. If you turn the Eco mode off the overload light goes off, RPM's increase and the generator continues to run.

From AZFLYCASTER's post, I understood that when the Overload light comes on, the EU2000 automatically stops sending a charge because the draw from the trailer is too much? This might not be correct, just an assumption on my part.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I never start mine in ECO mode I believe it states that in owners manual . I started them once with my AC on and the overload loght came on until I turned off the AC . One they warmed up turned on AC and all was fine .
Les wbcci #14183
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Just to clarify, if the overload led turns on for a few seconds, the output of the generator will turn off. If the led is on for a second or two power will not turn off.

Richard

Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Here is what I do. Always start the Honda with the eco function off. Run it a bit to warm things up and then switch to the eco mode. I do not have an electric water heater so things run rather smoothly for me until the wife turns on her hair dryer.

When in eco mode the Honda will automatically increase rpms to meet the demand. The overload light might flash at the start but it should not stay on very long. If the Honda can't meet the demand even after increasing rpms, it will shut down to prevent damage.

If yours does not speed up while in eco mode I think you need to have it checked. It should automatically take care of any load increase and then return to the eco mode when the load is removed.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Just to clarify:

When the OVERLOAD LED comes on, it's because there's too much electrical load for the EU2 to handle, but it will try, for a few seconds. If the load is still too excessive, the circuit protector (internal) will trip, and all electrical power from the generator will stop. The engine will continue to run, and the OVERLOAD LED will stay lit steady. You must shut off the unit and restart it to reset the circuit protector.

In this case, I understand everything is OK if Eco-Throttle is left OFF. This means the load is not too much, but that Eco-Throttle simply can't respond and speed up the engine quickly enough before the circuit protector kicks in. In such a situation, reduce the load, introduce it more slowly, or simply apply the load with Eco-Throttle OFF, then switch it back to ON after the load has settled in
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

This has been a good discussion and has helped me a lot as I was looking for answers on why my honda eu2000i's overload light came on when using the furnace (blower) and watching TV. When that happened, the TV went off and the furnace did not operate. I do think it might have had something to do with the ECO switch which was on at the time. What I did was shut the generator off, then restarted with ECO switch OFF. After the heater was blowing for 10 minutes or so and the TV was working, I switched the ECO switch back to ON. Everything seemed to work fine from that point forward, with the generator revving up and slowing down based on heat demand. So, the overload might have occurred because the generator was not warmed up enough at the start. I thought I'd blown a fuse but I think it was a case of not operating the generator properly. Thanks again for the perspectives and experiences!