Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Just a heads up. I burn e85 in our 08 f150 and have all the locations nationwide in my handheld computer. The ethanol industry is pushing for what they call e20 and e30 and possibly e40. In a nutshell you now get e10 or a max of 10% ethanol in your unleaded and you really have no choice. If they can get the car builders to agree that this higher percentage will not void warranties, then it is coming. If what this thread is saying, that would really mess up these honda generators.

They did a test running a 2000 Tahoe over 100k miles on e85, it was not designed to burn this high % ethanol. They tore the engine apart and no damage. E85 has lots of oxygen so it activated the 02 sensor and check engine light but nothing else. Fuel lines were perfect and the engine had much less carbon build up than normal.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28

They did a test running a 2000 Tahoe....

Who they?.....

e85=15% doesn't it?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
E whatever

Thats all well and good, however, check the BTU content of the E enhansed fuel. Its substancially lower than the real fuel.
Bottom line more fuel consumption, more money for more expensive fuel.
Beginner
Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Who they?.....

e85=15% doesn't it?

It was either American Coalition for Ethanol : Home or the national coalition for ethanol. I tried to look it up but lost the article. Very interesting however and more of the corn fuel comin your way, like it or not.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
it could also be www. ethanol. org
Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
The ethonal funny car doesnt burn ethenal ????
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
dumb.... dumber.... and yes folks even dumber than that

Okay - so after running up and down highway 1 from Oregon to Carmel in June I put the EU2000 up without draining the gas. Dumb. Wouldn't run without the choke on. Consulted this thread. Tried Techroline and let it run for a couple of hours and didn't cure the stumbling.... Dumber. Then went ahead and removed the carb, cleaned the jet and other orifices. Put it back together and fired it up. It ran right away on econo throttle and things seemed perfect. But no... gasoline started flowing out the bottom of the casing. WTF? (why the flames or...). After some inspection, it became obvious that the other set of tubes from the float bowl were the source of the fuel. Out came the carb again and inspecting the little beast revealed that the tubes were the float bowl overflow circuit. You're getting ahead of me... but yes Bunky, the incorrect reassembly of the float left the shut off stem out of place. Dumber than that. Corrected the assembly. Put everything back together and it runs better than it has in awhile. Moral of the story... Drain the freaking gas out if the generator isn't going to be used for more than a month. Mea culpa... Mea culpa... Mea maxima culpa.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
We can no longer can get ethanol free here in WNY...all that is available 10%.

Plays havoc with anything stored.

I follow these recommendations for all our Winter stored stuff, haven't found it necessary to drain gas from anything, boat, Ford, or 2000i.

"The introduction of water on E-10 fuel can be disastrous. E-10 can hold up to four teaspoons of water in suspension per gallon. Once this saturation point is exceeded, the solution separates and the gas floats on top while the ethanol and water mix on the bottom. This event is called "phase separation". Ethanol fuel can absorb enough water to reach it's phase separation point in just over 3 months at 70% humidity.

While the phase separation slurry in itself can cause problems by clogging fuel systems, the more immediate problem is that the remaining gasoline has now lost it's original octane value which can cause poor running and in some cases engine damage. When phase separation occurs, the fuel should be drained and replaced.

Fuel storage and winterization has to be handled differently when using E-10 fuels. Manufacturers are warning that fuels need to be stabilized if un-used for as little as 2 weeks. Not all stabilizers are known to be E-10 compatible. Non-alcohol based fuel stabilizer additives are a must for ethanol fuel."

Fuel Stabilizers
STA-BIL 32 oz Fuel Sta…
STA-BIL
$15.97STA-BIL 22208 Fuel St…
STA-BIL
$6.95CRC 6162 Marine Fuel S…
CRC
$4.14K & W Manufacturing 4…
K & W Manufacturing
$13.97Star brite Star Tron En…
Star Brite (Jun 11, 2009)
$28.19Star-Brite STAR TRON …
Star Brite
$10.46Star-Brite STAR TRON …
Star Brite
$22.78Gold Eagle 22208 Fuel …
Gold Eagle
$7.30STA-BIL 22214 Fuel St…
STA-BIL
$13.72Star brite Star Tron En…
Star Brite (Jun 11, 2009)
$16.84STA-BIL FUEL STABILI…
GOLD EAGLE PRODUCT…
$42.5112>

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #37
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We can no longer can get ethanol free here in WNY...all that is available 10%. Plays havoc with anything stored....
same here bob (this thread WAS 2 years old) there is moonshine in all of it NOW...

except for the race fuel at the track...

so i'm now routinely adding the red stuff to all gasoline/jugs as well.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #38
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
same here bob (this thread WAS 2 years old) there is moonshine in all of it NOW...

except for the race fuel at the track...

so i'm now routinely adding the red stuff to all gasoline/jugs as well.

cheers
2air'
Yeah...it's especially a pain with the boat, the newer 2cycle, oil and fuel injected engines and fuel systems can be hard to stay on top of. The hi-perf outboard crowd has been using this to treat the 10% stuff and to address the water problem and stabilize octane. Not cheap but worth the piece of mind. Go with the red stuff for Winter though.

RLC

RLC
Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Minnesota has recreational use gas which is high test without any ethanol, even the traces they sneak in to raise octane. What it comes down to is giving boaters and personal sport vehicle owners the safety margin of un-cut gas to face summer storms or -40° nights. Check your local Marinas to see if they have off-road blended fuels that might be all petroleum, we here have some normal stations with rec gas as well.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #40
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Since this thread started with my problem I thought I would post an update. My generator has run without any issue for the past (almost) two years. I do mix in the red stuff and run the generator every month.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Minnesota has recreational use gas which is high test without any ethanol, even the traces they sneak in to raise octane. What it comes down to is giving boaters and personal sport vehicle owners the safety margin of un-cut gas to face summer storms or -40° nights. Check your local Marinas to see if they have off-road blended fuels that might be all petroleum, we here have some normal stations with rec gas as well.
Just spoke to our Marina guy yesterday...has not been able to find a supplier for the good stuff yet, not really sure if it's just a NY thing or not. I sure would like some 91 straight for the Merc ob though.

RLC

RLC
Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Kenosha , Wisconsin
no premeum gas!

the aluminum heads in your engine are not design to run with any thing over 87 octane, or they stand a good chance of warping. Use seafoam to add to your gas tank with new gas and runn the entire tank through while under load. it should clean up the carb. If not it may be rebuild time for the carb and fuel system.