Old 05-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Entering the Generator World...

O.k now we are on to the generator.How does one learn the (math) to generator use?I need to know basic use to start out so I can then figure out which one to buy.Is there a book or method that I can use that is newbie proof?

Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
That depends...

I have been researching this for awhile now. There is a plethora of info on this forum. Generally, if you want to run the AC then you will need at least a 3000 watt generator. You could also run 2 of the Honda 2000EU's in tandem which is what many forum members are suggesting. The Hondas are supposed to be the quietest ones and the 2000EU's are very portable compared to a 3000 watt unit. Check this thread for lots more info.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #3

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
oops

I just re-read your question and realized that I didn't really address it in my reply. You are asking about the "math" or the calculations used to determine what you need in terms of generator output. I am not sure how that is done exactly. I assume that each item that you want to run will have a specific draw in terms of amps/watts. Perhaps someone with more electrical knowledge can explain this better for everyone's benefit.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
O.k now we are on to the generator.How does one learn the (math) to generator use?I need to know basic use to start out so I can then figure out which one to buy.Is there a book or method that I can use that is newbie proof?
Cynthia,
This is a common question, We decided to go with the 2 Honda EU 2000s. We can run everything except the A/C with one and run both when we need A/C. The Honda's weigh 47lbs each, so easy to lift and move around.
To figure how much power you need you take the rating of the generator for our EU 2000 max 2000 (watts divide by 120 = 16 amps max) Or more accurate rated output 1600 divided by 120 =13.3 amps. Each appliance has an amp rating so just add up the amps and decide how much power you need. As far as noise the Honda EU series are very quiet.
Good luck in your search. I enjoyed learning about all the choices out there. If you decide to buy this company was great for us.http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/gener...tgenerator.htm
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
Here is a good list of appliance loads: http://www.funroads.com/gensets/calcwattage.jhtml

. . . . and here is a selector program, although it applies to Onan, you can use it for other manufacturers if you find something of a similar size..
http://www.funroads.com/gensets/ogGensetSelector.jhtml#
Old 05-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Wow got some great advice & directions to go in.
Thanks All!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Get yourself a copy of "Ugly's Electrical Referance" You will be able to figure out any electrical configuration.