Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Duromax 1600 Dual Fuel

I have searched the forum (app version on my phone... still not sure search works well on the app), and cannot find the Duromax 1600 Dual Fuel mentioned anywhere. Anyone have it?

I just ordered it from Home Depot after calling the company and confirming it will maintain the 1600 watts, not just peak to 1600, and work well at elevation.

Any experience you can share is appreciated.

Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There seems to be a demand for small portable generators.
I see new names every time I look.
The DuroMax is made in China and serviced through a company called MaxTool.
It looks a lot like the Wen, and last time I was in a Lowe's they were selling "Craftsman" generators.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
For reference, here is the link:
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collect...able-generator
Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quick update. Just hooked up the generator to the quick connect port on the Sport 22. Wouldnít work at full open, but ran great at 50% open on the valve. Super convenient hooking up this way. Didnít have time to test running the A/C at sea level yet, but will in the next week or so. Will update again once tested.

I fully expect to never put a drop of gasoline in this unit.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Duromax 1600 Dual Fuel

If you bypassed the pressure regulator and hose assembly that came with the generator and hooked straight to the trailer quick connect, itís not going to work right.

Typically these things have two regulators in the propane system. One that goes on the propane tank, and the other that regulates fuel flow into the engine. You can bypass the one on the tank, but the one that feeds the engine needs to be on there to work right.

Have a look around the forums for the correct way to rig up a Champion generator direct to the Airstream quick connect port. Itís a good example of how to do it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Have a look in this thread starting around post #15 or so for words on how I did my conversion to an Airstream quick connect port (I had to add one to my trailer) connecting properly to a two-regulator Champion dual fuel inverter generator. Same principles may apply to what you are doing...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...175058-13.html

Pictures are much further down the thread starting at post #182 onward.

Had to get to a computer to re-find the thread and details of the conversion.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
rmkrum, I read through the post, and from what I can tell, you are recommending that I connect the quick connect port to the second regulator, then to a 3/8 flare into the generator.

Since I had it running smoothly without that second regulator, do you know what the function of it is that isnít being performed by adjusting the quick connect valve to 50%?

Happy to add it back in if it is doing something distinct to the state of the propane that I am unaware of. Thanks
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Duromax 1600 Dual Fuel

The second regulator adjusts the propane flow very precisely based on the engine throttle position.

What will happen if the load changes, you change altitude, or the temperature changes, the engine wonít run right at a fixed valve setting.

That second regulator takes the 11 inch water column pressure from the first regulator, and provides the exact right amount of propane to the engine in response to the vacuum in the carburetor caused by changing engine load.

I bet when it was running smoothly it was because because the electrical load, thus engine speed didnít vary. Thatís why it seemed to work. Running off the quick connect and adjusting the valve like you did probably got just the right propane flow at the speed the engine was running at when you tried it.

To verify, get it running on a light electrical load without the regulator by adjusting the valve, then increase the electrical load a bunch, like close to full rated load.

Iíd bet the engine will then stall or run rough unless you adjust the valve again. Thatís what the second regulator handles. Also, as near as I can tell, the hose (if there is one) from the second regulator to the engine is designed to be the right length for the regulator to properly sense engine vacuum. We left the original Champion supplied hose from the second regulator to the engine port alone on purpose.

That is also why several of us added hose only to the input of that regulator when we made our Champion generator modifications. Ours all run smoothly under changing load and donít require fussy valve settings.

That regulator has a vital purpose in making the engine run right under a fluctuating electrical load, bottom line.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Super helpful. Iíll look to split the two regulators and attach it to the quick connect hose. Thanks for the guidance
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Ok. It will work really well that way. I split mine so I can connect to a 3/8 inch port I had to add, and my hoses are 1/2 inch id to make it possible to put the generator about 29 feet away with 2 12 foot hose extensions or run the generator in the truck bed under a tonneau cover with the tailgate down. It works just like I had it directly on a bottle of propane, and with the extra parts I can still run it that way. Was fun to figure it all out, after about four trips to get all the adapters.

Let us know how it works and how you extended the hose. Others with the same generator will be interested in pictures and words about how you did it.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Rmkrum,

I tested on the A/C and it ran great at sea level. I was also able to detach the second regulator and put it inline between the quick connect and generator. It allowed me to open the port fully and let the generator draw what was needed without manual adjustment. Here is a pic. Thanks again for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43393D6E-6447-4EDC-BA8E-9AFBB7A348AE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	337968  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
That tells me that Champion and Duromax have a similar design. The interesting bit will come when you get some altitude in your setup and see how it work there.

On my rig I have a MicroAir EasyStart system that should make the Air Conditioner start easier on generator power. Might be worth a look for your use. There are several threads about it. It also helps protect the air conditioner from low voltage, excessive current and power outages. Itís a computer controlled soft start and protection system that a lot of us are using.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
That tells me that Champion and Duromax have a similar design. The interesting bit will come when you get some altitude in your setup and see how it work there.

On my rig I have a MicroAir EasyStart system that should make the Air Conditioner start easier on generator power. Might be worth a look for your use. There are several threads about it. It also helps protect the air conditioner from low voltage, excessive current and power outages. Itís a computer controlled soft start and protection system that a lot of us are using.

I had that installed at the dealer before delivery. Definitely worth it. You are right, altitude is the last test for this generator. Iím looking to get an inverter before our big trip this summer, which will give me the opportunity to leverage the battery to supplement the generator if it isnít quite enough.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Iím still looking at inverters. DW has not harassed me about being able to use a hair dryer yet, but itís just a matter of time. I plan to have the 3400 Champion dual fuel aboard, but quick hair drying without having to run the generator would be nice. Iím adding more solar to cover the load and recharge quicker.