Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Imho

It might be that the paralleled two Honda 2000 system may become passe' I yelled at a friend of mine for not asking me to help him with his new Honda 3000. He said he had no problem lifting it out of the truck by himself. It turns out that he purchased the new Honda 3000 " Handi ". I didn't notice it being much louder than the regular 3000, but much lighter, and I think that lower frequency sound that it makes is more tolerable than two Honda 2000.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Oops

I know that some like the ability to bring only one of their light weight Honda 2000 for trips when AC is not needed

BUT the Handi has half the run time as a regular 3000 due to half the fuel capacity. ( propane conversion might solve that issue )

sorry ..this must have been covered here a zillion times

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
Well, I had ordered a couple of Yamaha EF2000is generators with the propane conversion a couple weeks ago. When I called to check on the order, they were back ordered and the salesman asked what I was using them for. When I sent the 13.5K BTU AC, he said they wouldn't run it, and that someone had problems running a 12k BTU.

This has me confused, because I don't think I have read of anyone having problems running a 13.5k BTU AC with dual Yamaha's or Hondas.

He recommended a single EF2400iSHC as a less preferred option to the EF2800i (lots louder).

Thoughts?

-Dwight
The EF2400iSHC is a nice generator that will put out 20 amps all day and boost well over 30 amps for 10 seconds to start those big loads like a/c's. It's quiet, about 75 lbs with 2 handles. I can move mine around by myself, real easy for 2 people to move. It will also be around $500 cheaper than a dual generator setup.

He's completely wrong about the dual's not running even a 15k a/c. Yeah, probably trying to sell you something in stock, but not a bad alternative.

Stay away from those EF2800's. They are not an RV generator. I believe that is about the oldest model in the fleet and it is really loud. It's only purpose is that it will but out 20 amps, real cheap.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
Well, I had ordered a couple of Yamaha EF2000is generators with the propane conversion a couple weeks ago. When I called to check on the order, they were back ordered and the salesman asked what I was using them for. When I sent the 13.5K BTU AC, he said they wouldn't run it, and that someone had problems running a 12k BTU.

This has me confused, because I don't think I have read of anyone having problems running a 13.5k BTU AC with dual Yamaha's or Hondas.

He recommended a single EF2400iSHC as a less preferred option to the EF2800i (lots louder).

Thoughts?

-Dwight
Let me put this way since he says to use "a single EF2400iSHC as a less preferred option to the EF2800i (lots louder)." Either there is no way he could possibly think you plan on hooking the 2 2000s in parallel because the 2 2000s have more power then either of those other 2 generators or he is lying to sell you something in stock.

In other words if 2 2000s can't run the air conditioner there is no way possible to run it on a single EF2400iSHC or a EF2800i since they each produce less power then the 2 2000s.

So no matter what he was thinking, he was wrong.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Well, I took the 2013 Sport to the closest Yamaha / Honda generator dealer and tested...

2x Yamaha 2k generators. Could not start AC in eco mode, and while in non-eco mode it could not restart the Air Conditioner after waiting 20 Minutes to try again.

Yamaha 2400 generator, basically the same story but it was quieter and is always in eco mode so it should run longer.

Honda eu3000i can start the air in eco mode, and restart in less than two minutes. Noise level is quieter than the two Yamaha's, and a higher tone than the Yamaha 2400.

I have to give thanks Desert Valley Powersports for all of the testing and a price better than the I could find on the internet.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Please explain to me.........

Hi, I do not understand why anyone would even think of trying to run the largest load of an RV [air conditioner] with generators in the Eco-Mode. To me, that is like pulling off four of eight spark plug wires to pull my trailer.

Note: my Yamaha 2400 has no Eco-Mode; Actually it has no Modes at all.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
^
X2

I never start our Honda 2000i in eco mode, even with no load at all. Easier to start, faster warm-up.

After it's warmed up I use eco for charging batt's and operating lights etc, it switches mode smoothly as demand varies.
I'll switch to run before turning the microwave on, same with any high draw item.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
As your Air Conditioner cycles on a off, you don't want your generator running at full throttle while the AC is turned off. That is why I would want my Gen running in ECO mode when it is running for the air.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I read it differently.....

"ECO-THROTTLE (TM) SWITCH
The Eco-ThrottleTM system automatically reduces engine speed when all loads are turned off or disconnected. When appliances are turned on or reconnected, the engine returns to the proper speed to power the electrical load.
If high electrical loads are connected simultaneously, turn the Eco- Throttle switch to the OFF position to reduce voltage changes. When using the DC output, turn the Eco-Throttle switch to the OFF position.
ON: Recommended to minimize fuel consumption and further reduce noise levels when no load is applied to the generator.
OFF: The Eco-Throttle system does not operate."

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote