Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Drilling New power Hole

Good evening.
Has any one drilled a new hole in the floor to feed larger battery cable into the trailer. Just about 6 inches from existing cable route. Want to run in two heavier cables to inverter.

thanks
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I do that quite often. Just be sure that you have sufficient clearance at your intended location and won't be hitting any frame rails or possible hidden wires. It requires a bit of study before you do the actual drilling.

Airstream usually places their second floor penetration for their inverter cables on the opposite side of the trailer from the battery cable entry. You also might investigate simply enlarging the existing cable pathway in the floor.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Shouldn't be a problem... Look beneath the trailer to locate where the existing cables enter the cabin, then inspect beneath the cabinet/dinette above that entry-point to see which direction the cables turn immediately after their entry (so as to avoid hitting them) and drill/cut in that area.
OR...find where your existing cables connect to your power-supply and mount your inverters so as to tie into the existing battery cables at that power-supply connection. (That'd be my personal choice.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Since inverters can exhibit very high amperage draw from the batteries, you should always use dedicated cables of the proper size, taking into account both the cable length and the sizing specified in the installation manual. In addition, a properly rated fuse system ( class T preferred) should be located in the positive cable within 18"-36", depending on which standard you wish to apply.

I would never depend on any existing cable structure when installing an inverter.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Since inverters can exhibit very high amperage draw from the batteries, ...

I would never depend on any existing cable structure when installing an inverter. ...
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted, but the <edit> feature disappeared before I could correct myself. Good advice.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Inverter cables

Hello again
Been working on gathering solar equipment and inverter, I had asked about new hole to feed wires into the bottom of trailer.
Like Lewster said I want to run in new cables to the inverter but had a question.
Do I run to the negative to inverter first then jump over to the shunt, since I want to monitor all power leaving battery.

Thanks George
Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Hello again
Been working on gathering solar equipment and inverter, I had asked about new hole to feed wires into the bottom of trailer.
Like Lewster said I want to run in new cables to the inverter but had a question.
Do I run to the negative to inverter first then jump over to the shunt, since I want to monitor all power leaving battery.

Thanks George
George,

ALL negative loads must pass thru the shunt, including the main inverter negative cable. The case ground (safety ground) can be placed directly to the frame as it is usually a non-energized cable.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Thanks

Thanks Lewster