Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
I don't plan installing more than 2 batteries, 200-220 amp/hr, so I'm thinking 200w to 400w of solar will meet my needs.

I don't have an inverter in my Airstream. Wife gets percolated coffee when not on shore power. I drink hot tea, water boiled on the stove. We have a small sine wave inverter to run the TV or charge a laptop battery.

Rather than spend several thousands dollars on a decent inverter and the labor to wire it into the 120v circuits I'll just buy a 2000w generator for those few times.
Intended use is key to the whole solar thing. One thing that I have noticed is how critical direction/tilt is to solar collection. I wired an inverter but did not hook it into the trailer's wiring. While it limits me to inverters with built-in outlets, it works great. You might consider that option.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Intended use is key to the whole solar thing. One thing that I have noticed is how critical direction/tilt is to solar collection. I wired an inverter but did not hook it into the trailer's wiring. While it limits me to inverters with built-in outlets, it works great. You might consider that option.
Likewise for me. I only typically use the inverter for LED TV, Blue Ray, and device charging. I really don't need it for kitchen appliances, etc., so I mounted a 600W Zantrex between the side of the sofa and the arm storage wall with Velcro. On the rare times I need the TV and Blue ray, I just run an indoor extension cord to the credenza.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Likewise for me. I only typically use the inverter for LED TV, Blue Ray, and device charging. I really don't need it for kitchen appliances, etc., so I mounted a 600W Zantrex between the side of the sofa and the arm storage wall with Velcro. On the rare times I need the TV and Blue ray, I just run an indoor extension cord to the credenza.
I DO run appliances from the inverter. It works just fine. I run a coffee grinder, coffee maker, and flash oven- so far and not all at once. I stay about 200 watts from the max continuous rating to be safe. I have 350 watts charging 184 amp hours providing me with 1104 watt-hours. I haven't run into an issue yet. I use what I need and unplug it as soon as possible. My highest wattage is 1300 watts for 10 min or so. That is about 217 watt-hours and, that, only when I use the toaster. Everything else is less power. My full recharge time is just under 5 hours solar at optimum sun. It is much less since I do not use all 1104 watt hours.