Old 12-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
Diesel Generator

I will be picking up my E-350 PSD this week and was thinking of a diesel generator for the AS. I found a small one (around $900) on the net. Thinking the truck and generator using the same kind of fuel would be smart. I can pull from the trucks tank if I need the generator,and saving me from keeping gas around. Now..... knowing how diesel works. noise,smell ect.. Do you think its worth it. Or do I get the smaller gas generator like most people. I will be fulltiming and boondocking so gas may be far from me. Thanks for any help you may have, and see you on the roads- Thomas

Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Thomas,

If the generator has enough wattage to power everything you want to use and isn't too loud, I'd say go for it. It makes a lot of sense to have a common fuel. What is the wattage and decibel rating?

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Most portable Diesel generators that I have been around are HEAVY!!! There are quiet ones out there but they are usually the ones in the enclosures which adds to the weight. You are going to need around 2,000 watts at the bare minimum and that won't run much. For full powering up you would need somewhere in the range of 4,000 watts.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
TimeToGo,

Why not a Yahama or Honda generator with a LP conversion. Clean, Quiet and light weight. Unfortunately usually around $1600. Use the search tool at the top of the page to find almost unlimited information on various generators.

Remember, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should find you handy" -Red Green -
Old 12-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
sorry bout the price, it was $999. tha stats are 9HP,6500w.3.3 gallon tank with elec start THe co. name is DuroPower.Com
Old 12-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
I say go for it! If you're gunkholing out in the boonies you want something reliable. Just be sure to keep a spare can of clean fuel around.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Wow

It would be interesting to hear how it turns out.
Looks like the Chinese copied the whole Honda generator lineup.
I tripped over a running Honda generator once, very quiet.

R
Old 12-29-2006, 01:51 AM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You are looking at a 250 lb unit that is rated at 72 dBa. That is a lot of weight and a lot of noise.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
You are looking at a 250 lb unit that is rated at 72 dBa. That is a lot of weight and a lot of noise.
that might be, however at 6500 watts that's enough to run 2 trailers at once!

-or- your entire house in an emergency.

it would be running at half load most of the time even with the ac on, bet it would last a long time.

for the price i would say go for it if the weight is not an issue.

john
Old 12-29-2006, 06:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have seen a cheap diesle gen with a broken crank case after about 30 Hrs. on the clock! I would be leery of a knock off brand. what about parts, service and a service network? Also you already have LP so you already have two fuel types. For me I have a 6500 watt for back up at home (Yamaha) It is about 15 years old trouble free! (they are on special now from Yamaha) You can get one for about 1800 to 2000 down from a list of about 3500! But for the AS it seems like noise weight and appropriate size would be of great importance. I will be going for the Yamaha 3000ISE or the 2400 with LP conversion. With the LP you wont be poring fuel at all and it is clean & simple.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Noise is going to be your biggest issue. A diesel will likely be heavier as well.
I really like the Honda EU2000i. quiet and relatively light. Also takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #12
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
For the reasons you mentioned, I bought a Kipor KDE3500T diesel to go with my Yamaha 3000 boost. This kipor is very similar design to the one you're looking at- one of the generic Chinese Yanmar knock-offs.

These Chinese single cylinder Yanmar L100 clones are 300-400 lbs typically but are the smallest lightest enclosed diesels available.

Mine is quieter than a contractor grade open generator and the quality of the sound is better- it has a low pitched large exhaust note. It is not the quietest solution for peaceful campgrounds so I use the Yamaha for this purpose. It is perfectly fine for rest stops, recharging battery in the storage lot, or boondocking alone. I can barely hear it inside the trailer.

I too did not like carrying gasoline in the back of the diesel pickup in hot weather. It bulged the containers, dribbled out of some, and I considered it a hazard.

Some of these diesel generators have AVR (better voltage regulation), a very good idea.

Mine has run about 40 hours with no major problems. The engine machined gasket surfaces are completely dry, the engine sounds great, and it uses no oil. I did have to go around and tighten a few chassis bolts after running a while. The quality of the power is good, and the high inertia crankshaft diesel starts difficult loads like AC with ease. The fuel economy is excellent and will run at least 10 hrs powering the AC. The engine has an oil pump and full pressure lubrication.

The Chinese are experts at these small diesel engines- many are used for their tiny cars.

Parts availability is iffy..and the starting battery is not widely available in the US. It is used as a car starting battery overseas.

With the above qualifications, I like this generator very much. I suggest looking at the higher price models of the "Chinese silent diesel generator" for better build quality and AVR. I have read stories of these running into the thousands of hours.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #13
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
A couple more small points: The fuel appears to gravity feed from the built in tank so you'll need some kind of lift pump to run it from your van's tank.

The exhaust smells like....diesel! If you run in the back of van, you'll need some kind of long exhaust extension.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am not going to say not to buy the diesel, that is your choice. But outside of the big diesel generators 12k 3ph types my company ONLY buys Honda. If you look at the guys that make their living using generators to supply power you will typically only find two brands, Yamaha and Honda. Our company has used Yamaha in the past and we had issues with oil leaks (this was over 12 years ago) it is my understanding that they have been redesigned since then. I have a 15 year old Honda that saw daily use for over 8 years and still gets used at least once a week. It still runs fine and starts on the first pull and parts are still readily available for it ( a big plus for Honda IMHO) My biggest problem with the "off" brands is parts availability and questionable quality control. I have seen Kipor that would not start out of the box...it was missing critical components...like a fuel line shut off valve , another didn't have a oil plug in it.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote