Old 12-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California

In the above picture you can see several dry lower crankcase mating surfaces (40 hr) such as the mounting of the fuel injection pump (above the red emerg shut off switch). You can also see the oil pressure sensor switch, and the removable oil filter to the left of the drain bolt. During a test I ran the AC in 95 degree weather for about 2 hours and the crankcase oil temp was 165 F.

Behind this panel are two large mufflers. The exhaust note sounds like a large single cylinder motorcycle- a mellow thumper sound @3600 RPM.

I think the design looks more robust than my Yamaha- it all boils down to the execution of quality. I like the unit so much I may swap genuine Yanmar parts into the case if the Chinese parts prove unreliable.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Diesel gen weight

tpi,
How do you get your diesel generator out of the bed of your truck? How much does it weigh? I received plated aluminum arched ramps for Christmas to help get my Yamaha EF3000iSEB in and out of the bed of my pickup. The gen now has 93.4 hrs. on it and other than a cracked rope starter cover covered through warranty, it has been great.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #17
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
The diesel weighs about 300 lbs, the Yamaha about 160. I back the truck wheels into the gutter which gets the tailgate a couple feet above the upsloped driveway and ramp them up into the bed with a 4X8 sheet of 3/4 plywood. I'm always swapping the generators, or a quad.

I have a few of the marine dock bumpers I stuff around to keep it from banging around back there.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
On a side note with this, what is the life of the generator as far as hrs goes If i buy used what do you think a lot of time is before it dies out?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
The Yanmar L100 should run at least 4000 hours-the design is very strong. The Chinese clones are anyone's guess due to the many factories and unknown quality levels, but at least they have a lot of experience with these small diesels. I've heard of some of these running in excess of 2000 hours and someone posted above that one blew at 30 hours.

I look at it like a crapshoot... My Yamaha will give a good long life. The Yanmar clone could either last longer due to strong design, or fail earlier due to a quality issue.

Here's a PDF link to the Yanmar version, unfortunately they don't sell an enclosed unit:

http://www.yanmar.com/file.asp?F=C87...&C=store_items
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Riding on Salad Oil - lo speed hi fun -

The Yanmar clones are also popular hobbyist engines. Here's one installed in a street motorcyle. Good pics of the engine on this page.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I want to add something about TAKING DIESEL from a new Ford. YOU can't syphon from new vehilces. WELL...not unless you want to take a sawsall to it. AND...there are two kinds of generators. HONDA and SOB. My son works for a city pulbic works/parks department in a big city. They have many..I repeat many generators for park events to emergency. HE told me.....The Hondas are so far supperior to ANYTHING ELSE...AND THEY CAN GET ANYTHING ESLE. ..AND HAVE EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMMAGINE. That the Hondas run all the time ..the rest of them set unless they Have to use them.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
Riding on Salad Oil - lo speed hi fun -

The Yanmar clones are also popular hobbyist engines. Here's one installed in a street motorcyle. Good pics of the engine on this page.
LOL..someone with too much time on their hands.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Kipor has license from Honda to make entry-level power equipment for their home Chinese market and exports some to europe. My best guess is the Kipor diesel is a variant of a Honda motor - less some of the hidden refinements that goes into a Honda - I own the Kipor 2600w suitcase and gave my parents the Kipor 3000w electric start inverter model and have zero complaints with their silenced units - but haven't depended on them for weeks on end like one would expect with a Honda...

There is the Northen Tools outlet store 30 minutes from me that used to have ALOT of Yanmar generators being re-sold there; when folks bought the cheapest models they found the exhaust muffling on them similar to large-bore shotgun reports; think hearing damage loud.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote