Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #101
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzee View Post
We bought the same generator to top off the batteries on our 27 International FB and it works great and it is quiet. We live in a very quiet area and when I'm charging the batteries I can't hear the generator if I am 50' away. However, I do want to install solar panels on the trailer to minimize the generator usage. Any suggestions on solar panel brands/kits etc is much appreciated.

T

amsolar.com

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yep. Dittos on AM Solar. We have one of their older single panel setups, keeps my batteries well charged and the controller has a battery temperature sensor as well.

Had an issue where the temperature sensor cable vibrated out of the battery box and got dragged a few hundred miles ( my bad) and vanished. One phone call got a replacement sensor and all the parts to repair it. There are a lot more Ty-wraps holding the cable in place now. ☺️ Note that this is an obsolete controller and they still support it. Great folks.

Install a system yourself, or get Lewster to do it. Either way it's great.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just saw your post. Here is a link to a forum with detailed pictures of the generator including one showing the actual Yamaha engine. That is an excellent buy. According to an owner, he says it is good for up to 1620 watts then goes into limp mode. Another point to research is the SINE output-how clean the power is. (yes/no).

Review of Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ Yamaha clone 2000 watt inverter generator. - AR15.COM
Old 03-29-2015, 01:33 AM   #104
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
If a 3db rise equates to twice the noise, what is happening to the db level with (2) gens running in parallel ?

DB
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bell View Post
If a 3db rise equates to twice the noise, what is happening to the db level with (2) gens running in parallel ?

DB
Good question, same as turning off one speaker on your stereo.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Any update on the Smarter Tools generator from anyone?
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
The only info I have is that the generator was no longer stocked at my local Costco...
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #108

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele2010 View Post
The only info I have is that the generator was no longer stocked at my local Costco...
They still stock it online, and say that it "may be available at your local warehouse at a cash and carry price." The store I generally go to had them in stock for a LONG time (the never seemed to sell many), and I was hoping they'd drop the price when the 2nd-gen version (parallel-capable) came out, but they never did and I think they may have ended up transferring them out to another store. The store north of the city burned through their first set pretty well, but I don't go there often and don't know if they still carry it or not.

I'm still interested but there are way more things to spend money on at the moment, and my 3k Yamaha keep humming along when I need it to...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote