Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
combination of Acid and Glas Matt batteries

I am planning on adding a wind turbine set up and a solar set up to my 25 FT SS International. They will work through the same controller. The trailer now has the standard 2 acid batteries. I have been advised that the wind and solar generators will work better with glass matt batteries?
Do I have to give up my acid batteries and replace them with glass matts? Or do I buy 2 glass matts and add them to my 2 acids and get more capacity?

And yes, I have been warned about the noise on the wind turbine
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I think there is a problem with mixing

The ideal situation would be 4 AGM ( absorbed glass mat )
The beauty of the AGMs is that you don't need to vent them so you can
tuck the 2 additional batts in where ever you have space.

I was warned against even mixing old and new of the same model battery
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I forgot to remember

Could you please post pictures of your turbine and any of the guts that
go with it, or maybe a link to the manufacturer
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
AGM's do not vent under normal conditions but will vent from time to time. Because if this they are still required to be in containers that vent outside of the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Pop,

I would NOT mix the batteries! They have different internal resistance and charge rates and will wreak havoc with your controller! You will need a new set of batteries for your PV and solar set-up. All batteries should be of the same voltage, size and preferably manufacture date.

I recently became a dealer for AM Solar (OEM equipment on major motorhomes like Monaco and Country Coach, Prevost and Newell) and we recommend using Lifeline 6 volt golf cart batteries like the GPL-4CT or the new super GPL 6-CT on all new installs that we do. We connect them either in series (2 batteries) or series/parallel (4 batteries).

Further, the controller is actually the most important component in the system, as it is actually the heart of the system. Be sure that your controller uses MPPT (multi-point power technology) to fully utilize the current being generated from your solar or wind sources.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Mandolindave, here is the link to the wind tubine I am buying:
Southwest Windpower, Energy conservation, Solar Energy, Water pumping, Photovoltaics

I understand they have a new model and I am waiting for the specs on it. I would really like one that disengaged when the controller told it now power was needed. I believe right now the thing spins whenever wind is present. If you do a search on this site you will see several complaints about the noise. My idea is I will only go to the trouble of setting the damm thing up when doing really remote boondocking, so I will be the only one that needs to get used to the noise. I am spending an unreasonable amount of money to try and extend my boondocking time: Solar, Windpower, extra water tanks on my truck, macerator, etc. We will see where it leads.
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote