Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #21
TXGal

2019 25' International
El Paso , Texas
We also received ours yesterday. Husband will break it in this weekend.
TXGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
It needs conversion to run on the low pressure LP port? Do you have a link, as I was thinking I would just use the same connector hose without the regulator and all would be dandy.
To run on the low pressure port, you need to adapt a connection to the larger of the two Champion-supplied regulators to the port on the Airstream.

The large regulator is required to make the generator run correctly. The smaller one with the tank fitting can be removed.

The hose from the larger (low pressure) regulator to the generator should not be removed, extended, or connected to. It is just the right length to let the generator run properly on the larger regulator...

See:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-175058-2.html

My meanderings and pictures start around post #20. Detailed pictures of MY version of the conversion start at post #182, same thread.

Have a look at the whole thread for a sense of what several have done.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
To run on the low pressure port, you need to adapt a connection to the larger of the two Champion-supplied regulators to the port on the Airstream.

The large regulator is required to make the generator run correctly. The smaller one with the tank fitting can be removed.

The hose from the larger (low pressure) regulator to the generator should not be removed, extended, or connected to. It is just the right length to let the generator run properly on the larger regulator...

See:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-175058-2.html

My meanderings and pictures start around post #20. Detailed pictures of MY version of the conversion start at post #182, same thread.

Have a look at the whole thread for a sense of what several have done.

Perfect, thanks for the pointer to that interesting thread!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
This is still alive. Congratulations to all those who got these.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
What are the virtues of this particular generator?

I bought my first generator a few months ago, when hurricane was bearing down on us (and we lost power for about six days).

It worked well, but was loud — a Champion 3700, I think. It is not an inverter generator.

So, I like having a generator, but would prefer one that doesn't bother the neighbors.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Here is the perfect charger. From Amazon. I was able to hook up the short cord and tuck it in the battery compartment but one could make a small hole and leave the wire out for an easy connection.

Works great and great price.
LST 12V 1.1 amp battery charger https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Maint...+smart+charger
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

The Champion 3400 Dual Fuel Inverter generator needs a small decent smart trickle charger when in storage. IMHO, this is relevant. I’ve stuck it in my Amazon list.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
What are the virtues of this particular generator?

I bought my first generator a few months ago, when hurricane was bearing down on us (and we lost power for about six days).

It worked well, but was loud — a Champion 3700, I think. It is not an inverter generator.

So, I like having a generator, but would prefer one that doesn't bother the neighbors.
Champion Dual Fuel - runs on propane or gas; fairly quiet; runs one AC unit along with your other AC appliances in your AS.
model # -3400 Dual Fuel
3400W rated (gas)-2800W rated (propane)
95lbs
59dbs
Price shown above is a good deal...I paid around $875 for mine last year. Has electric start, though it is not remote controlled; it works fine and starts right up. It also has pull start, which works on first or second pull if you want to pull start. Handle and wheels for moving it around on the ground or in bed of your truck, without much effort. Nice reliable unit.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
The Champion 3400 Dual Fuel Inverter generator needs a small decent smart trickle charger when in storage. IMHO, this is relevant. I’ve stuck it in my Amazon list.
Oh; good idea...hadn't run into an issue yet in 2 seasons, but I did wonder about sticking it on the charger. Did you remove the battery and is there any maintenance on the battery like adding water?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

It’s a sealed battery. I just connect a BatteryTender smart trickle charger to it about once a month for a few days. When the green indicator on the charger tells me the battery is fully charged I unplug it again. Rinse and repeat monthly.

I’ve permanently installed the charger’s fused ring terminal adapter to the battery terminals and routed the connector outside the generator battery compartment through a small slot in the plastic cover. I unplug this connector when I’m not using the charger.

I don’t need it, but there are 12 volt SAE extension cables to make it easier to hook up the charger. Look on Amazon.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
It’s a sealed battery. I just connect a BatteryTender smart trickle charger to it about once a month for a few days. When the green indicator on the charger tells me the battery is fully charged I unplug it again. Rinse and repeat monthly.

I’ve permanently installed the charger’s fused ring terminal adapter to the battery terminals and routed the connector outside the generator battery compartment through a small slot in the plastic cover. I unplug this connector when I’m not using the charger.

I don’t need it, but there are 12 volt SAE extension cables to make it easier to hook up the charger. Look on Amazon.
Just ordered the charger mentioned from Amazon; thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Champion Dual Fuel - runs on propane or gas; fairly quiet; runs one AC unit along with your other AC appliances in your AS.
model # -3400 Dual Fuel
3400W rated (gas)-2800W rated (propane)
95lbs
59dbs
Price shown above is a good deal...I paid around $875 for mine last year. Has electric start, though it is not remote controlled; it works fine and starts right up. It also has pull start, which works on first or second pull if you want to pull start. Handle and wheels for moving it around on the ground or in bed of your truck, without much effort. Nice reliable unit.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a good one (as soon as I can sell the one I have).

I'd prefer to run on propane, so I don't have to carry around gasoline. I pull with an SUV, so no gas cans allowed in the back, and I wouldn't carry a generator with gas in its tank, either.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #33
TXGal

2019 25' International
El Paso , Texas
We broke ours in over the weekend for well over 5hrs, and then tried the AC out on our 23 International AS using propane. No problem running the AC unit! Question for those who already own one and have used it for some time....do temps make a difference? Could it struggle more to run the AC in the heat of the summer?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Struggle will depend some on altitude and temperatures. If the air conditioning is struggling to cool in higher temperatures as they tend to, and you are at high altitude the generator may have trouble keeping up.
An EasyStart from MicroAir May help ease the pain a bit. A 2800 watt rating on propane is usually enough for “reasonable conditions”.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:42 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Got one too. Great deal, and cheaper than Amazon. I have an older standard 2700 watt Yamaha generator as well, but here in Florida... having 2 generators can't hurt, and the propane option is a plus. Thanks to the OP for listing this deal. I have been wanting one for a while now.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGal View Post
We broke ours in over the weekend for well over 5hrs, and then tried the AC out on our 23 International AS using propane. No problem running the AC unit! Question for those who already own one and have used it for some time....do temps make a difference? Could it struggle more to run the AC in the heat of the summer?
We have used our 3400 DualFuel at sea level and at 8K altitude several times over the past 2 years in July/Aug timeframe, without any issues or noticeable difference in operation. We have a 1500AC and a 1350AC; we only use the 1500 typically for our needs, since we are usually up in Northern states and rarely need it for a long period of time...cool nights up there where we go.

I believe you may have the 1350AC in your 23? But, either way, you will be fine with propane to power either one..(propane- is why we got the DualFuel in the first place)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This just in:
Champion test by LoLoHo. The 3100.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Congratulations to those who got this generator. It dead now!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Video did not change my mind any. Works perfect. A good buy for the money. I don't care about a gas gage. Run on propane. Added an hour meter. I think it was about $10.00.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #40
TXGal

2019 25' International
El Paso , Texas
[QUOTE=gypsydad;2181684]We have used our 3400 DualFuel at sea level and at 8K altitude several times over the past 2 years in July/Aug timeframe, without any issues or noticeable difference in operation. We have a 1500AC and a 1350AC; we only use the 1500 typically for our needs, since we are usually up in Northern states and rarely need it for a long period of time...cool nights up there where we go.

I believe you may have the 1350AC in your 23? But, either way, you will be fine with propane to power either one..(propane- is why we got the DualFuel in the first place): Good to know, thank you for responding.