Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Ormond Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
Floyd County is a beautiful area. I lived in Charlottesville and Crozet for a number of years a long time ago. Thanks for your help with the code.
JMB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
My Champion has height of 18", the Westinghouse has a specification of 20" height.

I have a clearance of 19" under the latches of my tonneuau cover on my F150, so Westinghouse would not fit in my truck bed. I have the Bakflip tonneau cover with Ford OEM plastic bedliner.

You will need to check your specific truck/cover/liner for height compatibility with your desired generator. For example, a spray bedliner will give a bit more vertical clearance than OEM plastic bedliner. In hindsight, I wish I had done spray bedliner (not just for a bit of extra height).

Westinghouse has 98 lb dry weight, not much more than Champion spec of 95.7 lb.

I like the remote start which is not available option on the Champion 3400 dual-fuel, but not a requirement for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
This sounds like a great deal for the Champion 3400W Dual Fuel Generator. It might just get me off the generator fence, but . . .

As I was investigating the Champion, I found this generator that also has me intrigued, a Westinghouse iGen4500DF 4500W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator:
https://www.westinghouseoutdoorpower...ts/igen4500df/

It is currently $1049 at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingh...-308134845-_-N

Besides a little more power for almost the same weight, the Westinghouse has the added benefits of:
  1. A remote start FOB
  2. A digital readout of various things including power output and engine hours
  3. A battery charger
  4. The propane regulator is in the hose, possibly making it easier to connect to the low pressure port on the Airstream without modifying the generator
It appears that this model just became available. Has anyone investigated it? Does anyone have any experience with it? For the increase in output and features over the Champion, it seems like the iGen4500DF should at least be on my consideration list.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That’s awesome! I’m gonna get one and take my liquid cooled ES6500 Honda generator camping. There’s no better generator.
Maybe true for construction, but way too noisy for camping. But the EU7000is would be wonderful!

Quote:
a Westinghouse iGen4500DF 4500W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator:
It might be great, but I'd almost guarantee the name "Westinghouse" was sold to a Chinese supplier.
I see Lowe's is now selling "Craftsman" generators too.
"Honeywell" is also a name sold offshore.
Now it might be great, but if you need warrantee service your choices are limited, Westinghouse won't touch it.
The Champion seems to have proven itself over the past years.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
This Champion is electric start.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Hi all, Thanks for your feedback on the Westinghouse. You may have missed my subsrquent post that I ordered a Champion yesterday. Main reason being that it is now a known/proven choice. It's supposed to arrive during tomorrow's snow storm.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Hi all, Thanks for your feedback on the Westinghouse. You may have missed my subsrquent post that I ordered a Champion yesterday. Main reason being that it is now a known/proven choice. It's supposed to arrive during tomorrow's snow storm.
Differing view: I like my Dual Fuel for sure; run propane exclusively and never had an issue; (except the effort getting in/out of truck!) However, I would not be scared to get the Westinghouse unit mentioned; it's from Home Depot so if you don't like it or there is an issue, just return...(in reasonable time frame, of course.) I like the extra power, economy, and noise reduction (52db vs 59 Champion) for Westinghouse vs the Dual Fuel, from the specs I read. I am not running out to get one because I am happy with my Dual Fuel; but if I was looking for propane powered again, I would certainly consider giving this one a try.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Maybe I need to purchase another of the Champion Duel Fuels and then one of these:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-parallel-kit/

It’s their 50amp parallel kit. Could run both AC units! (They already have the easystarts installed too!)

I don’t think however that the low pressure propane port on the AS could power both of the generators. But one could certainly use normal tanks!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Maybe I need to purchase another of the Champion Duel Fuels and then one of these:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-parallel-kit/

It’s their 50amp parallel kit. Could run both AC units! (They already have the easystarts installed too!)

I don’t think however that the low pressure propane port on the AS could power both of the generators. But one could certainly use normal tanks!
Hey man, get real! 95lbs plus 95lbs?? Assuming money/convenience no issue; get a couple Honda 2200's,(45lbs each) and modify from Gennconex...just money...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

Upsize the low pressure port to 3/8 or 1/2 inch with matching hose and it might work. I didn’t have a low pressure port on my 2007, so I added a 3/8 inch one. Also changed out the Champion propane setup to accommodate an extension hose and use of low pressure port or run direct from a tank. Look for the write up.

Overkill, of course for just one 3500 Champion Dual fuel inverter.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Hey all, I got my generator day before yesterday and opened it up yesterday only to find the propane regulator snapped where the large and small regulator are joined. I called Champion’s customer care number and explained what I found when I opened the box. This box showed no visible damage at all. The guy took my info and is sending out a new regulator ASAP! How’s that for customer service?

On another note, now that I am getting a new regulator I’m thinking that I can just attach (on the broken one) a 12 foot hose to the larger of the two (low pressure)to hook up to my low pressure port on my 23d. If so pretty simple.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post

On another note, now that I am getting a new regulator I’m thinking that I can just attach (on the broken one) a 12 foot hose to the larger of the two (low pressure)to hook up to my low pressure port on my 23d. If so pretty simple.

I sent Champion an email about extending the hose. Here is their response.

The dual fuel inverter hose kit has two components: A regulator (#2) and a pressure reducing valve (#3).

The hose we include is inline after the pressure reducing valve (#3) and is sized to work with it to supply the correct flow rate. This hose length cannot be changed.

If you want to extend the propane hose kit, there are two ways to do so:

1. Add a hose and fittings between the regulator and pressure reducing valve which I have circled in red below.
2. You can also remove the regulator (#2) entirely and run a ½ PSI regulated propane line directly into the pressure reducing valve (#3).

(In both cases, you may need to contact your local propane supplier for fittings and hoses.)

To put it simply, the machine will run fine as long as you supply ½ PSI to the pressure reducing valve (#3) and you use the provided hose. Please see the attached file for details on the connector being used in the pressure reducing valve (#3).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	334665

Also I believe rmkrum did something very similar described in a previous post.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
UncleBad, thanks for the info. I think I’ll go with #2 in your post,just need connector and hose to connect to the low port on trailer and use the new regulator that champion is sending for the tank.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Uncle bad, I have a question. Do I need a 1/2 inch 12 ft hose or a 3/8 12 ft hose? rmkrum,I believed used a 3/8 hose. Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

The dual fuel inverter hose kit has two components: A regulator (#2) and a pressure reducing valve (#3).

The hose we include is inline after the pressure reducing valve (#3) and is sized to work with it to supply the correct flow rate. This hose length cannot be changed.

1. Add a hose and fittings between the regulator and pressure reducing valve which I have circled in red below.
2. You can also remove the regulator (#2) entirely and run a ½ PSI regulated propane line directly into the pressure reducing valve (#3).

(In both cases, you may need to contact your local propane supplier for fittings and hoses.)

To put it simply, the machine will run fine as long as you supply ½ PSI to the pressure reducing valve (#3) and you use the provided hose. Please see the attached file for details on the connector being used in the pressure reducing valve (#3).

Attachment 334665

Thanks for this info...would be great to see the pictures or illustration with the #'s you post so we can see all the connections and relate better, but thanks for your post here.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #115
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Ok, you convinced me. Seems it pays for itself after about 20 camp nights, so, good deal. Mine is on order. what is the final, no-bs equipment needed for hookup to the LP propane port on the trailer?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:

Attachment 334665

Yup, did exactly what they are talking about in several posts. Nice to see that Champion is verifying our collective engineering conclusions about NOT modifying the big regulator or it's attached hose and connector that goes to the generator propane input. Had concluded that after taking it apart and examining the bits thoroughly.

I went with 1/2 " extension hose and 3/8 Quick Connect fittings to be sure there is enough flow. I did NOT have a low pressure port (1/4 inch Airstream installed) on my rig, so I redid the piping to add a bigger one.

Most of the Quick Connector parts and hoses are available on Amazon and the brass adapters come from your local hardware store.

Here's the definitive thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-175058-2.html

Start reading around Post#22 for the discussion and again at Post#182 for the actual pictures.

NOTE: What Champion refers to as the "pressure reducing valve #3" I called the "Low Pressure Regulator (Large)" In my discussions. Nomenclature problem, I guess...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I too connect my Champion Dual Fuel generator to my Airstream quick disconnect port. Here is a post where I describe how to do it with a picture of the hose: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143

I designed my connections so I can easily switch between the Airstream quick disconnect or a standard propane bottle connection. I have 125 hours on the generator now. I added this hour meter: https://www.amazon.com/Docooler%C2%A...1469445&sr=1-4
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Like that hour meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I too connect my Champion Dual Fuel generator to my Airstream quick disconnect port. Here is a post where I describe how to do it with a picture of the hose: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143

I designed my connections so I can easily switch between the Airstream quick disconnect or a standard propane bottle connection. I have 125 hours on the generator now. I added this hour meter: https://www.amazon.com/Docooler%C2%A...1469445&sr=1-4
AirMiles, thanks for sharing your experience with the hose connections; it’s really helpful.

My 3400 arrived yesterday, same day as the hour meter. I got it installed tonight - will come in handy to monitor the 5 hour recommended break-in run time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4BD6D435-83A8-4391-895D-40D41DD6F9F3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	334726   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDB5C6BD-BA97-4DA5-B16D-3C116F9269CB.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	334727  

jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Hey all an update, I called Champion on Thursday about the broken regulator, well I received the replacement today! How’s that for customer service?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Ok so now that I have the new regulator hook up from Champion I’m thinking to just leave this alone and use it only for a 20# propane tank.

Now to replace the broken fitting on the pressure reducing valve to connect a 1/2 in x12ft hose to low pressure on airstream. So far I’m having no luck finding a replacement fitting. The fitting that uncleBad included in his post #111, I just don’t understand where to find let alone what it is. I went to hardware store and I see 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 inch fittings not a 1/8-27 npt , m12x1 I really not much of a plumber. I’m wondering if it’s some China part with strange threads. Anybody got any ideas. Thanks for helping. Here are some pic’s

Name:	DB7EECA3-F8FE-4422-99C5-FB8514E72CEA.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	334798

Name:	EE4C0518-98A8-44E2-AC1B-2E6788244BF7.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	334799