Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #241
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad
Posts #111 and #127 in this thread describe what needs to be done to make the correct propane hose, a long with my shared Amazon list, which Champion themselves actually use and send folks who inquire via email.

The wishlist invite link has expired. Do you have a public link for it?
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparris View Post
The wishlist invite link has expired. Do you have a public link for it?

Thanks for letting me know. I have made the list public.

https://amzn.to/2KJJtxF

I also updated Champion so they send out the correct public list.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #243
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
remote generator hookup

Just purchased Champion dual fuel 3400. Love the generator but unsure whether the generator power cord must be plugged into the remote generator hookup receptacle at front of our 25FC Twin in order to charge batteries or use AC. Alternatively, can the generator be plugged into the shore power receptacle on the left side of the TT?
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #244
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The electric outlets are the same. You can plug you rv cord in either one. The trailer has a built in transfer switch.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Here’s a picture of my modified Champion 3400 dual fuel running nicely carrying the Air Conditioner and converter (30 amp trailer) at just above idle.

Running in economy mode. It grunts a bit when the compressor cuts on and settles down real quick. Haven’t installed The EasyStart box yet. Too hot to climb on the roof today In SoCal area. I should have plenty of margin with this setup.

Modification is extended propane hose and ability to run off trailer A-frame quick connect I installed. Very convenient.

Noted that momentarily stepping on the propane hose will toss the generator into overload from fuel starvation. Made note to ‘don’t do that’!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3437.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	349965

Hm. Can’t see the indicator lights in this picture. The gray hose across the top of the generator is part of the modification. I need to route the hose under the other handle to protect the fittings from damage.

Note that the original Champion low pressure (large one) regulator is still in the circuit. Cranks and starts real easy once there is propane in the long gray hose.

Decently quiet. Can’t hear the generator over the unducted OEM air conditioner unit when I’m inside, and it’s not unpleasantly loud outside. At least the neighbors didn’t come over and complain...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Posts #111 and #127 in this thread describe what needs to be done to make the correct propane hose, a long with my shared Amazon list, which Champion themselves actually use and send folks who inquire via email.
I've modified my 3400 using these methods and they work great!

I have two 12' hoses connected together for 24' from the LP port and it runs a single AC quite well in ECO mode!

I "can" run both ACs without easy starts, but man its right up to the limit trying to do it.....I only run one to leave plenty of margin. Also note that I am at sea level so I am in ideal conditions.

We are doing a run with it this weekend for the first time.

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION TO ALL: Make sure you turn OFF the power switch, if not you will kill the battery.........ask me how I know!

A mistake on my part....recharged the battery and it came back luckily....my mistake was my memory said.......oh I turned off the propane and it stopped.......yeah sure.....but you left the generator circuit with the LED button on to draw it down to zero.......um.....yeah.....won't make that mistake twice!

Truly happy with this setup and generator.

Greetz.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #247
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I added a battery tender and the permanent connection cord to the battery. When the generator is stored, or in the bed of my Tacoma on the road, I plug the battery tender into 120 volts from the garage or run the truck’s inverter to keep the battery charged.

Note that that little 12 volt AGM battery is hard to find, so keeping it properly charged is a good idea. It’s an odd size and has to fit the compartment perfectly to close the battery compartment door.

And yeah, turning off the battery switch is an important thing to do when ‘finished with the engines’ as they say.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #248
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I have extra terminals to add to mine too...will be doing that also. My mistake was loading into my staging area box truck and rolled it in not realizing it was still turned on......... lol
Old 08-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #249
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I've modified my 3400 using these methods and they work great!

I have two 12' hoses connected together for 24' from the LP port and it runs a single AC quite well in ECO mode!

I "can" run both ACs without easy starts, but man its right up to the limit trying to do it.....I only run one to leave plenty of margin. Also note that I am at sea level so I am in ideal conditions.

We are doing a run with it this weekend for the first time.

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION TO ALL: Make sure you turn OFF the power switch, if not you will kill the battery.........ask me how I know!

A mistake on my part....recharged the battery and it came back luckily....my mistake was my memory said.......oh I turned off the propane and it stopped.......yeah sure.....but you left the generator circuit with the LED button on to draw it down to zero.......um.....yeah.....won't make that mistake twice!

Truly happy with this setup and generator.

Greetz.

Great to hear! Glad it is working so well for you!

I always make sure to charge the genset battery before an outing, just in case.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #250
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Great to hear! Glad it is working so well for you!

I always make sure to charge the genset battery before an outing, just in case.
Actually we are using it right now at Horseneck beach until 10PM when it's quite time.

We are only running one AC, but it doesn't seem to be in eco mode it is ramped up.

When I tested it at home, it went to ECO mode, here, it is ramped up a bit with only 1 AC. But still relatively "quite".

Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #251
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
This was our first outing at horseneck beach in Massachusetts with the generator, it performed admirably. What really took me by surprise are the amount people with open frame generators and they are LOUD compared to the champion.

Even the little bit of noise ours makes, I feel much better about ours and any noise it makes compared to those people......good lord.

I heard some Honda generators here and they resonate at a different frequency but from my perspective are about the same noise level.

So we are very happy with the generator.

Hope this helps someone that wades through this super long thread.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #252
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Note that that little 12 volt AGM battery is hard to find, so keeping it properly charged is a good idea. It’s an odd size and has to fit the compartment perfectly to close the battery compartment door.
I couldn’t find a replacement battery locally but did find one on Amazon specifically for the Champion 3400. It was $39.95.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Yep... there are a couple on Amazon.

Lumix GC 12V Battery for Champion 3400 - $39.95
https://amzn.to/2MNTsoY

Mighty Max -$17.99
https://amzn.to/2Lh36OQ
Old 08-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I stole the image from above for clarity.

My setup looks exactly what is in the picture for the new inquiry:

Ok so an update to this thread and a new question regarding this modification.

Mine has run fine since I've done this setup with the regulator mod with reducer etc etc.

My question is this:

From the 2 tanks where you select which propane tank manually to use, right after the T is the low pressure regulator for the ENTIRE trailer.......correct?

So if the LP port is already part of this system with low pressure.......why am I modifying the regulator as we did in this thread? If it is ALREADY low pressure, can't I just run my hose from the LP port right into the generator and leave the modified non regulator assembly at home?

It is just something I thought of recently and with more experience it makes more sense to me......I just need to verify my logic is correct or is there another reason that I've forgotten as to why this mod is being done?

I know this will resurrect some feelings about the mod in general.....but I just want to gain some more understanding.....and possible extra hoses/mech reduction.

Best,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3437.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	375240  
Old 08-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
My question is this:

From the 2 tanks where you select which propane tank manually to use, right after the T is the low pressure regulator for the ENTIRE trailer.......correct?

So if the LP port is already part of this system with low pressure.......why am I modifying the regulator as we did in this thread? If it is ALREADY low pressure, can't I just run my hose from the LP port right into the generator and leave the modified non regulator assembly at home?

It is just something I thought of recently and with more experience it makes more sense to me......I just need to verify my logic is correct or is there another reason that I've forgotten as to why this mod is being done?

I know this will resurrect some feelings about the mod in general.....but I just want to gain some more understanding.....and possible extra hoses/mech reduction.

Best,
Chris
All I can tell you is that without the regulator in the photo, what's coming from the LP port is not the correct pressure for the generator. I did get mine to run if I partly closed the valve on the port, but not with it wide open. With the pictured configuration you can run it wide open and it will be properly regulated.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
All I can tell you is that without the regulator in the photo, what's coming from the LP port is not the correct pressure for the generator. I did get mine to run if I partly closed the valve on the port, but not with it wide open. With the pictured configuration you can run it wide open and it will be properly regulated.
Yea, thats been my experience also. I carry a 20# bottle also that I use most of the time because of the tweeking needed using the quick disconnect port on my AS to run the Champion. My friend has the Honda 2200 with Gennconnex propane conversion and does not have this issue with the seperate carb manifold like Champion. I installed Easystart last year on my 15000 AC, so thinking of selling the Champion now and getting the Honda with propane conversion...saves about 40lbs also if I decide to lift it out of the truck bed! I do use the portable bottle for other items such as my O-Grill and FirePit, so not a big deal to carry the extra bottle. Still, would be nice to just connect and go...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #257
Rivet Master

Corona , California

The thing to understand about running a Champion 3400 Dual fuel Inverter generator from the low pressure Airstream port is that the big regulator with the black hose on it is absolutely essential to proper propane flow to the generator carburetor as the engine load changes. You can’t leave that one out and expect it to work right.

If you want to run it from a low pressure port, separate the two Champion regulators and modify the big one to connect to your extension hose. Then when you connect to the Airstream quick connect port, it will run properly.

Name:	IMG_4709.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	375281

Modified large regulator.

Name:	IMG_4577.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	375282

3/8 quick connect and shutoff valve on Airstream A-frame example.

Name:	IMG_4730.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	375283

Photo swiped, but this is how mine looks when properly connected. The gray hose goes to the Airstream quick connect. I tuck it under the handle for strain relief. I also have an RV plug exactly like the one in the picture!

The black OEM hose then goes to the generator inlet as built. This works perfectly with no tweaking of any sort required. The only weirdness is that you have to turn off the shut off valve on the A-frame to shut down the generator. Doing this letdown the generator burn off propane in the lines and regulator for safety when you disconnect for storage.

Name:	IMG_4708.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	375285

For convenience, I added a female quick connect to the smaller of the two Champion regulators to run on spare a bottle.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
The thing to understand about running a Champion 3400 Dual fuel Inverter generator from the low pressure Airstream port is that the big regulator with the black hose on it is absolutely essential to proper propane flow to the generator carburetor as the engine load changes. You can’t leave that one out and expect it to work right.

If you want to run it from a low pressure port, separate the two Champion regulators and modify the big one to connect to your extension hose. Then when you connect to the Airstream quick connect port, it will run properly.

Attachment 375281

Modified large regulator.

Attachment 375282

3/8 quick connect and shutoff valve on Airstream A-frame example.

Attachment 375283

Photo swiped, but this is how mine looks when properly connected. The gray hose goes to the Airstream quick connect. I tuck it under the handle for strain relief. I also have an RV plug exactly like the one in the picture!

The black OEM hose then goes to the generator inlet as built. This works perfectly with no tweaking of any sort required. The only weirdness is that you have to turn off the shut off valve on the A-frame to shut down the generator. Doing this letdown the generator burn off propane in the lines and regulator for safety when you disconnect for storage.

Attachment 375285

For convenience, I added a female quick connect to the smaller of the two Champion regulators to run on spare a bottle.
Thanks for this update...I had been just attaching direct to the AS QDisconnect with 20' hose, then thru the manifold as you show on your generator...not a big deal since I also clamp to handle...

Wife suggested I sell my Champion 3400 DF for $800 since they are over a $1000 now, and get the Honda 2200 with propane QD...wondering about running AC and other stuff if I go down in size... When I ran my buddy's last summer as a test on my AC's (individually), no issues with the 2200 propane. But, "something" in my gut says keep the 3400...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #259
Rivet Master

Corona , California

I’m keeping mine because it’s paid for, can easily run everything in the Airstream at once, and I can still lift it.

Once it’s in the bed of my Tacoma, it stays there all trip. I also like the fact that it has extra capacity in case I need air conditioning at a high altitude sometime. Extra power margin is nice to have when you need it.

If I get too old and tired, I’ll get a hydraulic table from Harbor Fright to store it on in the garage, and use that to hoist it into the bed.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I’m keeping mine because it’s paid for, can easily run everything in the Airstream at once, and I can still lift it.

Once it’s in the bed of my Tacoma, it stays there all trip. I also like the fact that it has extra capacity in case I need air conditioning at a high altitude sometime. Extra power margin is nice to have when you need it.

If I get too old and tired, I’ll get a hydraulic table from Harbor Fright to store it on in the garage, and use that to hoist it into the bed.
Yea, i keep mine in the bed of our F250 most of the time, but had to remove it here in MT to take a load of stuff to the dump..think it got heavier since last summer!