Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
Carrying EU2000i on the trailer tongue

Does anyone stow their EU2000i on the tongue of the Airstream like the photo shows? there is just enough room there and I am contemplating strapping it down to secure it while we tow.

We tow with a GMC Savana Van so there is no external storage like a pickup truck does. I would prefer to not have to store it inside the passenger compartment just to be away form the oil and gas fumes.

I am interested knowing how everyone carry their EU2000i's while towing if you do not drive a pickup truck with external storage.
malimish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Do a search this has been covered several times.

enter this in google."site:airforums.com EU2000i" should get you started. Do not include the quotes.

Rubber Maid makes a container which the unit fits in perfectly, you add a gasket and you have no odor. Work the search engine, check 2airishuman posts. I am leaving for work or would pull it up for you.

Check post 12 by Andy from Inland.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ting-4889.html
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
Does anyone stow their EU2000i on the tongue of the Airstream like the photo shows? there is just enough room there and I am contemplating strapping it down to secure it while we tow.

We tow with a GMC Savana Van so there is no external storage like a pickup truck does. I would prefer to not have to store it inside the passenger compartment just to be away form the oil and gas fumes.

I am interested knowing how everyone carry their EU2000i's while towing if you do not drive a pickup truck with external storage.
If you are going to do that I would definatley get a Honda cover. It is fitted.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
I was definitely thinking about getting a cover for it because it is a pretty snug fit between the trailer and the propane cover. One of the other issues is whether or not the battery box cover will be able to handle the weight of the generator.

Does anyone make a bracket that goes above the battery box for this application? One that is a direct bolt-on application with no other necessary mods would be very convenient. seems that there are enough airstreamers who use eu2000i for this to be a viable product in the market.
malimish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Malimish, welcome to the Forum.

I like the fit and hope you can work this out. I wouldn't want to have it inside the tow vehicle either, especially if there's an accident and gas spills.

I would consider whether it will damage the aluminum on the trailer or propane cover since as things flex, something will rub on something (or might). My propane cover was rubbing on a part from the Equalizer hitch and I had a small piece of rubber with a glue backing so I stuck it on the propane cover to prevent damage. It's still there after a year. How will you lock it in place?—it looks so tempting to a thief.

There are brackets for gas cans that can be mounted externally, perhaps on the back of your van. I wonder if a generator would fit in one?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Here is the post and picture of the container look at post #4.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-44248.html

You can put the genset in side the container and lock it in the trailer or truck when you leave.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Malimish, welcome to the Forum.

I like the fit and hope you can work this out. I wouldn't want to have it inside the tow vehicle either, especially if there's an accident and gas spills.

I would consider whether it will damage the aluminum on the trailer or propane cover since as things flex, something will rub on something (or might). My propane cover was rubbing on a part from the Equalizer hitch and I had a small piece of rubber with a glue backing so I stuck it on the propane cover to prevent damage. It's still there after a year. How will you lock it in place?—it looks so tempting to a thief.

There are brackets for gas cans that can be mounted externally, perhaps on the back of your van. I wonder if a generator would fit in one?

Gene
Gene,
I will tell you that things do flex. Hitched up my "Battery box", in my case my actibrake housing, will not open. When released from the TV I can open the door without hitting the front panels.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Exclamation Never

IMHO

Would never mount it behind the tanks. I see a dented trailer and a vulnerable generator.

What we use, can store in the Burb or coach, no spills, no smells.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	75032  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I like the container because it hides the Generator and I carry my extra power cords and a few tools and a quart of oil in the container with the Generator. I sometimes cable the unit in the bed of my truck or to my trailer. It is a lot less conspicuous than a Generator sitting out in the open or even with a custom cover on it. Has worked great for me. It meets or exceeds the KISS specification.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Does your Honda generator really have gas & exhaust odors? In the winter time I keep my generators in the house in the family room so they're handy and warm (and easy to start) when the power goes out and I need them to run the furnace. I've never experienced any odors of any kind with them.

Another thought to carry it inside and contain odors is to slip it into a trash bag and tie it off - lost tech and low cost, and wouldn't take up the additional room as the storage container. Of course make sure it's cooled off well, regardless of the container you put it in.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think you might get more noise inside the trailer if you ran the generator when it was mounted there. There might be vibration as well.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post
Does your Honda generator really have gas & exhaust odors? In the winter time I keep my generators in the house in the family room so they're handy and warm (and easy to start) when the power goes out and I need them to run the furnace. I've never experienced any odors of any kind with them.

Another thought to carry it inside and contain odors is to slip it into a trash bag and tie it off - lost tech and low cost, and wouldn't take up the additional room as the storage container. Of course make sure it's cooled off well, regardless of the container you put it in.
I HOPE you are joking.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The added 60 pounds on the tongue won't affect the balance of the rig? jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Does your Honda generator really have gas & exhaust odors?

Hard to avoid them. The Honda cap seals very well, but pressure does build up in the tank and when the vent is opened for running, you do get some odor. On start-up when using the choke there can be a stronger gasoline smell as well
One of the nicest benefits of LPG is the lack of exhaust smell and lower running temp. Two nice benefits while running in it's "house".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 132.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	75045  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I HOPE you are joking.
He likes to snuggle with them. I assume he moves them outside when he runs them, he must he is still posting.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I've never experienced any odors of any kind with them.

Another thought to carry it inside and contain odors is to slip it into a trash bag and tie it off
I've not smelled any odors around our Honda either, but that doesn't mean they're not there and not detectible by my nose. I'd rather not take the chance and certainly wouldn't run it in an enclosed space.

I would never store it in a bag. Gas vapor is far more explosive than fluid gas. A nearly empty gas tank is more likely to explode than a full one when there is an accident. Containing any vapor in your house in a bag is a bad idea. I imagine the cases sold for these generators have a vent for that reason.

Maybe I'm being an old lady but the costs of a mistake with gasoline are far greater than the loss of convenience. And I admit that I've transported a 5 gal. gas can inside the back of our SUV (I guess I'm an old lady hypocrite; will I hear from old ladies or hypocrites first?).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
What I have done is moved the propane tanks forward. Mounted the house battery behinde the tanks and made a stand to place the Honda Gen on. I use a ratchet strap to hold the gen down and we made a cover for the gen. I take the stand off when we do not take the gen.Click image for larger version

Name:	gen 002.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	75077

Name:	gen 004.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	75078
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote