Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
When you drive older car, very likely your manual advise "oil change 3000". That doesn't mean with today's advanced oils anybody do it anymore.
Our cars get new oils every 13,000 miles.
"Not recommended" by manufacturer is the other way of saying "we don't want to be responsible for the outcome". Than Tim Allen said "Manuals are just manufacturer opinions". Very likely they employ engineers, who have little, or no practical experience.
As I said, if others positive experience is not good enough, than do whatever pleases you. Lot of people are still scared surfing the net.

Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
I have both a 2000i and 3000i. Will I try to run them in parallel? Not unless I am willing to flush several thousand dollars based on anecdotal information.

For some reason, there seems to be a desire to turn this into a confrontational thread. It appears that some folks are willing to risk their investment in generators while others are not. That is a choice we are all free to make.

Honda doesn't recommend crossing ratings, possibly because they would have to do the testing to validate performance and accept warranty expense if they are wrong. That is an issue all manufacturers face to some degree.

1985 25' Sovereign
Corner Bed

2003 3/4 ton Suburban
6.0, 3.73

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Because of Hurricane Katrina, there were alot of "unique" "creative" "do-what-you-have-to-do" generator usage by many people around here. Many were desperate to get as many of their freezers, AC units, fridges, and other high amp draw appliances back online to save whatever they could. I have seen alot of multiple generator setups (lots spooked me to no end) by individuals trying to do the best they could to get power. The effects on the generators was obvious by the large number of fried generators that now litter the junk yards at small motor repair yards.

But, none of that matters........ WHAT DOES MATTER was the long term damage caused to the same appliances that these good intentioned people were trying to save. Many have experienced motor failure directly related to the incorrect usage of their generators and the calculation of demand load by their appliances. You want experience, I've seen it first hand. You are right, it will start your AC (fridge, freezer, even water heater-hah, no way) - does that mean that the AC likes it???? Let us know, until then I will heed the manufacturers "suggestions" in "their" manual.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
My experience says, unless it is explicitly covered in the owners manual, don't do it. If you are really set on trying this, it would be wise to contact the manufacturer with the question, not that I've anything against the advice handed out in this forum.
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Smoking while filling your gas tank....

IMHO smoking while filling your gas tank is a BAD idea.

I've never actually seen anyone set himself on on fire doing it... but it still seems risky.

Oh, and yes I who normally say "it's your life" will politely ask people who are dragging on a fag to put it out while filling their tank next to me! Why? Because that close, it's MY life too!

When I do see someone smoking around gas pumps, I don't call them stupid or ignoramuses, or insult their education or lack of education or refer to their mothers in a disrespectful way.... Why?
  1. No lapse in manners by another is an excuse for a lapse in my manners
  2. Self respect
  3. Intelligence
  4. The guy has a freakin' lit cigarette in one hand and a freakin' gas nozzle in the other! Basic sanity says don't "flame" a guy with the flame thrower!
For heaven sake, your opinion IS valuable... your opinion of everyone else's opinion isn't. "CIVILITY" doesn't cost money so USE it liberally.

Paula Ford
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #20

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Nicely said, Paula. Thanks.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I think I'm getting one of those 3000 watt Yamaha's with the 500 watt boost start!
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I think it was Rodney King who said, "Can't we all just get solar panels instead?"
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
Milford , Connecticut
Ok, more detail on the operation of the Honda inverter generators has come out in the ensuing years. There are apparently two protocols:
1) connect generators using both parallel-cable ports
2) connect generators using outlets

To be clear, only #1 is supported by Honda. That is important. There are non-Honda products that do either #1 or #2. That they both work tells us something about the underlying function.

If you choose #1, then a tri-phase microprocessor-conditioned AC signal comes out of each generator that bypasses the inverter and circuit breaker. The first one that starts asserts that it is the 'master'. The second one on sees that it must synchronize with the master. If you are pairing an EU2000i with an 'EU2000i Companion', then it is important to start the Companion first. The non-master will turn off its inverter to focus the engine output on the 'master' inverter through the parallel cable. The Companion is all-about focusing the dual-output to its 30 Amp and 20 amp plugs (it has no DC charger output).

This give rise to the following (frivolous?) conjecture... If the first genny is an EU2000i and an EU1000i is started second, why wouldn't they work together correctly? The EU1000i might just go to full-speed much-faster than the EU2000i, but what harm is there in that?

I know that this is a years-old thread. It just seems like a reasonable (if frivolous) question...
Beachrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #24

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
@Beachrider: I think a sufficient reason (when dealing with $900-each generators) is that Honda says it won't, and will therefore not warrant your generators if they can show that you've done this. I'd wait to see it work on someone else's toys before I buy a pair of Hondas and try it.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #25
Milford , Connecticut
I agree that 'recommending' this stuff is for the well-heeled and risk-prepared user. It would be unfortunate/dangerous to lose both gennys and risk losing a lot.

It appears that both the 2000i and 1000i use tri-phase AC with exactly the same cycle-time. AC voltage just gets higher in the 2000i. The 3000i & 3000iS appear to have unique 3-phase AC setups that don't mix with others.

In all Honda pairs, the non-master cycle-aligns with the master during non-master startup. The resulting, synchronized AC is then rectified to DC in the master and run through its inverter to generate higher-wattages.

In deference to the cautionary tone of others, using a 2000i with a 1000i is not only not-documented, but specifically not-recommended. That still leaves room for discussing empirical results with people that have 'paid the price', and I haven't.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
Milford , Connecticut
It is worth noting that several have shown multi-generator connections of various types on You-Tube. They use the outlets. This is simpler and possibly more dangerous. The two plug outlets are joined carefully together to meet a single 30 amp receptacle (you have to know how to do this). The plugs are both inserted into the gennys before starting them (real danger and property damage if not followed to their rules). AFTER ALL OF THIS, you start the generators. The second one will apparently synchronize its output with the first.
As others have said here. This is outside of Honda's proscribed use. You can make a mistake and brick both generators or severely hurt yourself.

That all being said, they show how they think it works. FWIW
Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #27
Milford , Connecticut
One more update from me on this:
Wisesales com is a reputable honda generator vendor. They sell a $300 device that joins up-to-three generators. In their description, they allow mixes of 1000 and 2000 honda generators.

They call it their triple parallel kit. It appears to use the banana plug interfaces. INTERESTING (not cheap, though)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Tesla figured out many different power plants can inject AC electricity into the power grid at the same time.
One time I needed to weld in a remote location and I tried a 120v welder using an EU3000, it didn't have enuf amps. Next I tried 2 EU2000 and they didn't quite have enough either, then I connected a EU3000 and a EU2000 and it worked just fine. I do NOT recommend anyone doing this, I am telling you what I did one time...

The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote