Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #21
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnial
4. I've received mixed comments on this... I'm a firm believer that more gauge is a good thing so I'll plan to upgrade the battery interconnects. What are your thoughts about the 4 ga. going to the inverter... that is the gauge AS provided in the original configuration (along with the 100Amp fuse).
4ga to the inverter is ample size - you can run up to 1000w inverter on 4ga. You only have a 600w, so you are good.

Quote:
5. Is there any value in having this for future when I switch to lithium and install a dc-dc converter on the TV charge line?
One or the other - when you go lithium, either install the cutoff to eliminate charge voltage from the TV, or install a DC-DC converter. Don't need both. Personally, I simply just pulled the 30A automotive fuse associated to charge current line to the 7-way plug on my GMC 2500. Solved the problem

Quote:
6. The bad news is that I've already purchased the panels. The good news is they are exactly matched to the factory Zamp panels which are in fact 90 W (18.00v, 5A). So no losses due to mismatches.
Glad to hear you have matched panels - well done! 90 x 4 = 360 watts potential. I would probably go series-parallel if you stick with factory wiring, and mount the 4 panels at the four corners / outer edges of the trailer to avoid shading. There is another gentleman on the forum who has that setup and he has reported excellent performance.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy solar, solar, solar upgrade